Transcendence Port to Linux and Mac

New releases and announcements from George and the staff.
sdw195
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

its out of date, but you can downlaod it in the FIRST page of this topic http://www.neurohack.com/transcendence/ ... =15&t=1978
"Dash_Merc - George is a genius, in that he created this game engine that is infinitely extendable"
"<@sheepluva>Good night everybody, may the source be with you." <-- FOSG dev
"You only need THREE tools in life - WD-40 to make things go, Duct Tape to make things stop And C-4 to make things go away"
Azmond
Anarchist
Anarchist
Location: Traveling the stars in a Ronin ship drinking Red Nubla!

That still really doesn't help me with working the Linux Port of Trans. = .='

But thanks all the same, i didn't know that Trans updated! WOOHOO!

EDIT: I already have the most current update. What i'm asking is how do i run it. xD But if i go back through the link Alterco gave me i should eventually figure it out... ... i think...

EDIT EDIT: Again, how do you run the PORT, not the standard .exe?
Time to get up n' go-go-GO!
sdw195
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

right click on the exe and click "run in wine" (make sure you gave it permission to execute first)
"Dash_Merc - George is a genius, in that he created this game engine that is infinitely extendable"
"<@sheepluva>Good night everybody, may the source be with you." <-- FOSG dev
"You only need THREE tools in life - WD-40 to make things go, Duct Tape to make things stop And C-4 to make things go away"
alterecco
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Azmond wrote:That still really doesn't help me with working the Linux Port of Trans. = .='

But thanks all the same, i didn't know that Trans updated! WOOHOO!

EDIT: I already have the most current update. What i'm asking is how do i run it. xD But if i go back through the link Alterco gave me i should eventually figure it out... ... i think...

EDIT EDIT: Again, how do you run the PORT, not the standard .exe?
The port has not been developed for ages. You will be playing a very old version of T. The only way to run recent versions of T on linux and OsX these days is through wine.
Get your own Galactic Omni Device
Get it now. It's free!!
Azmond
Anarchist
Anarchist

Thank you, alterco! This somewhat helps, and i'm not too bothered by played an older version, but this still doesn't help me play the ported version- though as old as it is -of Trans. (Have i missed the answer, am i just that stupid or have i not said this enough times??? @~@ )
alterecco
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

If you absolutely want to play the port, then download the tar.bz2 file from the link in the first post in this forum, unpack it, and then run the transcendence binary

edit: however, after trying this myself (i am on linux as well) it seems to fail to start. I have not tried the port in ages, so i have no idea why it is not working. I seem to recall some of the sdl libs were needed, but i have them all installed. If you are still having problems running the port, then i suppose your only alternative is wine (or windows). What is your problem with wine anyways?

edit2: suddenly i recalled the problem. You need to run the binary from the directory it is placed in. You do this by opening a terminal, cd'ing to the transport directory and then running ./transcendence. If you don't know how to get a terminal open or how to use it there are several good guides on the internet (i am certain)
Get your own Galactic Omni Device
Get it now. It's free!!
Azmond
Anarchist
Anarchist

Thank you very much Alter! I apperciate the help greatly! ^^ if i run into any troubles i'll simply look it up on the internet how to use the terminal or go to the ubuntu forms.

edit: It's not that i hate wine or anything- i loev it -but it's just too slow and when i play the game via wine it simply doesn't work. ... for long. Tends to crash on me. A lot. but that might be due to my AMD Althon XP processor i'm running off of...
NIGHTHAWK620
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

It's good to know that when I buy my Mac that I can still be in this universe. Please keep me informed. :mrgreen:
NH620
Aury
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Location: Somewhere in the Frontier on a Hycrotan station, working on new ships.

*Deleted duplicate post
(shpOrder gPlayership 'barrelRoll)
(plySetGenome gPlayer (list 'Varalyn 'nonBinary))
Homelab Servers: Xeon Silver 4110, 16GB | Via Quadcore C4650, 16GB | Athlon 200GE, 8GB | i7 7800X, 32GB | Threadripper 1950X, 32GB | Atom x5 8350, 4GB | Opteron 8174, 16GB | Xeon E5 2620 v3, 8GB | 2x Xeon Silver 4116, 96GB, 2x 1080ti | i7 8700, 32GB, 6500XT
Workstations & Render machines: Threadripper 3990X, 128GB, 6900XT | Threadripper 2990WX, 32GB, 1080ti | Xeon Platinum 8173M, 48GB, 1070ti | R9 3900X, 16GB, Vega64 | 2x E5 2430L v2, 24GB, 970 | R7 3700X, 32GB, A6000
Gaming Systems: R9 5950X, 32GB, 6700XT
Office Systems: Xeon 5318Y, 256GB, A4000
Misc Systems: R5 3500U, 20GB | R5 2400G, 16GB | i5 7640X, 16GB, Vega56 | E5 2620, 8GB, R5 260 | P4 1.8ghz, 0.75GB, Voodoo 5 5500 | Athlon 64 x2 4400+, 1.5GB, FX 5800 Ultra | Pentium D 3.2ghz, 4GB, 7600gt | Celeron g460, 8GB, 730gt | 2x Athlon FX 74, 8GB, 8800gts 512 | FX 9590, 16GB, R9 295x2 | E350, 8GB | Phenom X4 2.6ghz, 16GB, 8800gt | random core2 duo/atom/i5/i7 laptops
christian
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

there is some plans for Transcendence on Android or iOS?
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

christian wrote:there is some plans for Transcendence on Android or iOS?
There are some plans, but I poke the idea of a Mac OS X port sooner as its more compatible then writing from the ground up.
shanejfilomena
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

And Exactly why Transcendence is in need of the community to Inspire people to check out the game : hopefully to inspire people with enough pocket money to help contribute ...
( stop buying things on Farmville, Erik, we need a Mac Port :) LOL : 2 Airplanes? , seriously? :) ) :
A particular problem for companies attempting to port Windows games to the Macintosh or other OS is licensing middleware. Middleware is off-the-shelf software that handles certain aspects of games, making it easier for game creators to develop games in return for paying the middleware developer a licensing fee. However, since the license the Mac, etc porting house obtains from the game creator does not normally include rights to use the middleware as well, the porting company must either license the middleware separately or attempt to find an alternative.
George also pays for the windows ability of the game : I believe he called it a " Key " that the game needs to play on Windows.
Inspiring fresh players to check the game out and hopefully help Kronosaur Productions continue to build and improve the game, as a community is one of the Priorities I think we need to take more seriously.

Personal pages, blogs , we need to step up for the game and for George who has worked hard to bring this enlightenment of what a game should be to our universe.
Flying Irresponsibly In Eridani......

I don't like to kill pirates in cold blood ..I do it.. but I don't like it..
christian
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Well...
Than I think 'll probably help....
Money... 8-)
200$ in June/2012...I know than this is not much but... I just bought a GT7205 :twisted: , and a friend ask for $100 ($100 = R$200 Reais), so I can't help neither this month or the next one...I'll help more in the future...
And I'll buy a book "Programming Apps for Android" or something like that...I have some projects as well :]
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Keep in mind, all code would have to start from scratch, which is why I was thinkering with porting the screensaver to OS X and working from there. :P
Rowanthepreacher
Miner
Miner

Wow. It's been a while. I wonder, how much money would need to be thrown in order to get some devoted mac porting done? I'm unfamiliar with licensing fees and the like, but i'm sure a reasonable sum could be rounded up, with an additional boost in attention from the fundraiser. Anyone know any better?