Transcendence Port to Linux and Mac

New releases and announcements from George and the staff.
schilcote
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Hey Gambit, what language is Transcendence written in? If its C or C++ I might have an idea...
[schilcote] It doesn't have to be good, it just has to not be "wow is that the only thing you could think of" bad
GambitDash
Developer
Developer

CFG -

I'd expect that assertion to fire anytime a savefile is written, either through traveling through a jumpgate, (possibly) buying insurance, or just the good ol' esc-2 save and quit option.

schilcote -

C++, mostly. I hesitate to ask, but... what is your idea? :)
schilcote
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

What's white, has a blue lit-up DVD slot, and runs homebrew?
Here's a hint: it has a PPC in it.
[schilcote] It doesn't have to be good, it just has to not be "wow is that the only thing you could think of" bad
GambitDash
Developer
Developer

schilcote wrote:What's white, has a blue lit-up DVD slot, and runs homebrew?
Here's a hint: it has a PPC in it.
Oh, huh. Interesting idea. Transcendence would be a /really/ good virtual console game. Of course George works for Microsoft, though I don't think that puts him in any position to get, say, an Xbox dev kit or anything :P

I'm not too likely to port it to the homebrew channel, though. A lot of work for not very much penetration, so to speak. But it's an excellent idea!
llama
Anarchist
Anarchist

Hey, I have a problem with transport, running on Ubuntu 8.10. When I try to run the executable, the screen just flashes black and returns me to my desktop. When I run it in a terminal, it produces this output:

Display is 1280x800 @ 32 bpp
Created video surface 1024x768@32bpp in software mode.

I've gdb'ed it, and it exits normally too! Is there some step that I'm missing?
alterecco
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

llama, you are probably not running it from the right folder. It needs to be run as ./transcendence (ie. from the Transcendence folder) or it will not be able to find the resources it needs.

.]
llama
Anarchist
Anarchist

I think I am. You do mean the folder with all the jpg's and xml files and wav's right? (That's how my version's files are arranged. I think its release 13)

By the way, I am running this under Ion3 WM. But I get the same error from gnome too. So its not window manager.
GambitDash
Developer
Developer

llama wrote:I think I am. You do mean the folder with all the jpg's and xml files and wav's right? (That's how my version's files are arranged. I think its release 13)

By the way, I am running this under Ion3 WM. But I get the same error from gnome too. So its not window manager.
That's not a known failure, and yeah, it does sound like you are running it in the wrong directory. Are you double-clicking on the binary, or running it from the shell?

Also, it could be that you're missing some necessary libraries. Try this command:

Code: Select all

ldd ./transcendence
If any of them show up as 'missing', then you might need to install those libraries; specifically the ones for SDL or SDL_mixer are often missing.

Hope that helps! Feel free to let me know what you find!

Cheers,
--G
llama
Anarchist
Anarchist

Hm, what directory am I supposed to run it from? (As in what else is in it besides transcendence).

And I've tried both double-clicking and running from a shell - neither work.

ldd says I have everything too.
alterecco
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

if we assume you unpacked it to ~/trans then the following should do it
(from a terminal)

cd ~/trans
./transcendence
Hope it works

.]
llama
Anarchist
Anarchist

Unfortunately, that's exactly what I'm doing, and it's not working.
alterecco
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Can you have a look at the contents of the Debug.log from the same directory and post them here (if any). Otherwise i'm out of ideas... Maybe Gambit- can offer some better advice.
llama
Anarchist
Anarchist

Ah! I never realized that there was a debug log. This is what it prints:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Start logging session
transport 1.1
Opening audio device...
Audio: 22050 Hz 16 bit stereo, 512 bytes audio buffer

Startup error 5: Unable to create loading thread.
End logging session
[/code]
GambitDash
Developer
Developer

From the output you gave me, it looks like there's not quite the right files in the right place. I'll talk more about it below, but first try redownloading the latest (see above), unpack it somewhere completely different, and try again.
llama wrote:Ah! I never realized that there was a debug log. This is what it prints:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Start logging session
transport 1.1
Opening audio device...
Audio: 22050 Hz 16 bit stereo, 512 bytes audio buffer

Startup error 5: Unable to create loading thread.
End logging session
That looks like a "not quite right directory" placement.

Your directory should look like this:

./transcendence        <the executable you run>
./Resources/Title.jpg
If you have a Resources/Title.jpg in that directory relative to the transcendence binary, then I'd like you to do the following command:

find .
from within the directory that the transcendence binary is. Also, include the output of "uname -a" and tell me what distribution of linux you are running. You can send that output to me in a private message, or put it up on a website if it's too big for the private message stuff (google let's you post documents and publish them for the world, which is an excellent way of sending stuff around).

Good luck!
--G
llama
Anarchist
Anarchist

Huh.

For some reason, nautilus archive manager (or whatever that program is called) wasn't extracting the "Resources" directory. Really strange. Anyways, I made sure it did, and voila! It works now! Thanks a lot!

Speaking on the game port itself, it is very nice Gambit. There are differences with the Windows version, but no one really cares about font colors, right!

Anyways, thanks a bunch, and keep up the great work! Lack of transcendence for linux was the only thing keeping me from playing it again. I'm just too lazy to wait for Vista to boot.