1.1 RC1

New releases and announcements from George and the staff.
Watch TV, Do Nothing
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Right off the bat- the new docking indicators are good, but I think that should be taken off of wrecks because they create distracting visual clutter during combat.

I noticed that wrecks and destroyed stations inherit their parent's LRS colors for the color of their docking indicators, which gives destroyed enemy stations red docking indicators and enemy wrecks green or grey docking indicators. Red docking indicators are confusing because red signifies "stop" or "hostile". I feel that docking indicators should always be green.

You mentioned that you are continually improving the interface, and I would argue that this is a good opportunity for docking indicator and LRS colors to be made more consistent. Right now:
  • Friendly Ships are small solid green LRS dots. When destroyed, they become hollow green and when visited they become hollow grey.
  • Friendly Stations are large solid green LRS dots. When destroyed, they become hollow green. They do not change when visited either before or after destruction. Coloration and size are consistent between LRS and map, although on LRS they are a slightly brighter green.
  • Mined Ore, derelicts and cargo containers behave identically to wrecks.
  • Nav Buoys are small hollow green LRS dots. On the map they are small solid green dots.
  • Enemy Ships are small brick LRS dots. When destroyed, they become hollow green and when visited they become hollow grey.
  • Enemy Stations are large solid brick-colored LRS dots. When destroyed, they become hollow brick. They do not change when visited.
  • Weapons Fire is yellow.
The issues here are that:
  • hollow signifies destroyed, with one exception- Nav Buoys and a few other uncommon features like travel signs.
  • green signifies friendly sovereign, with three exceptions- unvisited wrecks, derelicts and mined ore.
  • icon shapes are consistent between LRS and map, with one exception- Nav Buoys.
  • ship LRS indicators undergo a shape and color change to green when destroyed, with one exception- friendlies, which only undergo a shape change and retain their original green color.
  • enemy ship LRS indicators undergo a shape change and turn green when destroyed, but enemy stations only undergo a shape change and stay the "hostile" brick color.
  • wrecks undergo an LRS color change when visited, but stations do not.
  • grey wrecks don't show up well in asteroid fields.
  • the brick color used for enemies in LRS is very different than the bright red used on the map.
I would suggest that the following scheme, or something similar, could be more intuitive, informative and consistent:
  • all docking indicators are bright green, indicating that it is permissible to dock.
  • solid dot always signifies "alive" and hollow always signifies "dead" or "wreck".
  • bright green always signifies living friendly.
  • bright red always signifies living enemy.
  • an orange color is used for cargo containers and abandoned derelicts, since they were "dead" at the time that you entered the system
  • a turquoise color is used for mined ore. Mined ore also gets a unique LRS indicator.
  • all colors are kept consistent between LRS and map.
  • grey is eliminated because it is too difficult to distinguish on the LRS when there are asteroids present.
  • all wrecks and destroyed stations are a greyer shade of their original color. This is kept consistent between wrecks and stations.
  • wrecks and destroyed stations become a darker grey shade of red or green when visited.
  • wrecks and destroyed stations that have been visited and still have stuff in them (whether ignored by the player or deliberately left there as a cache) have a colored dot inside them.
The important thing is interface consistency. The color and shape transitions between "alive" and "dead" should be more consistent across friends and foes, ships and stations.
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

An option to toggle docking indicators on or off should be added. Sometimes, they are a distraction, like flickering sprites from an Atari 2600 game.
Download and Play in 1.9 beta 1...
Drake Technologies (Alpha): More hardware for combat in parts 1 and 2!
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!
Playership Drones: Buy or restore exotic ships to command!

Other playable mods from 1.8 and 1.7, waiting to be updated...
Godmode v3 (WIP): Dev/cheat tool compatible with D&O parts 1 or 2.
Dedalo
Miner
Miner

I noticed that on this version it's not possible to cancel the dock operation by Pressing "D" a second time !! :(
Which can be very annoying (at least for me) :roll:
Physics hurts! Especially when she's in a bad mood.
RPC
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Location: Hmm... I'm confused. Anybody have a starmap to the Core?

Tutorial List on the Wiki and Installing Mods
Get on Discord for mod help and general chat
Der Tod ist der zeitlose Frieden und das leben ist der Krieg
Wir müssen wissen — wir werden wissen!
I don't want any sort of copyright on my Transcendence mods. Feel free to take/modify whatever you want.
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

Watch TV, Do Nothing wrote:Right off the bat- the new docking indicators are good, but I think that should be taken off of wrecks because they create distracting visual clutter during combat...
This is a great list! Thank you. I don't want to make such a large change at this point, but I have written up a ticket to do something like this for the next minor release.

http://wiki.neurohack.com/transcendence ... icket/1223