1.3 Beta 1

New releases and announcements from George and the staff.
AssumedPseudonym
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

PM wrote:Question: How does new compressed <Armor>, where programmer inputs id and number of segments only, arrange armor segments?
 Counterclockwise from the top, apparently. I was wrestling with that, myself, rearranging the Sapphire’s armor all over the place to try to get the hits to register on the right segments. In between studying for midterms, I finally sorted out code that both shows the right segment getting hit and cycles through the segments from top to bottom on the armor segment selection dockscreens:

Code: Select all

<ArmorDisplay>
            <ShipImage imageID="&rsArmorHUDShip_Sapphire;" imageWidth="136" imageHeight="136"/>

<ArmorSection name="forward"
                  imageID="&rsZubrinArmor;" 
                  imageX="0" imageY="0" imageWidth="52" imageHeight="29"
                  destX="42" destY="15" hpX="55" hpY="14"
                  nameY="8" nameBreakWidth="200" nameDestX="0" nameDestY="10" />

<ArmorSection name="port"
                  imageX="142" imageY="0" imageWidth="22" imageHeight="59"
                  destX="22" destY="45" hpX="15" hpY="60"
                  nameY="30" nameBreakWidth="200" nameDestX="0" nameDestY="8" />

<ArmorSection name="aft"
                  imageX="74" imageY="0" imageWidth="68" imageHeight="14"
                  destX="34" destY="103" hpX="55" hpY="105"
                  nameY="52" nameBreakWidth="360" nameDestX="12" nameDestY="0" />

<ArmorSection name="starboard"
                  imageX="52" imageY="0" imageWidth="22" imageHeight="59"
                  destX="92" destY="45" hpX="95" hpY="60"
                  nameY="74" nameBreakWidth="360" nameDestX="12" nameDestY="0" />
         </ArmorDisplay>
 It turns out I had the basics right in my post earlier in the thread, I just needed to adjust the nameY values. That fixed the broken cycling order I was getting once I got the segments in the right places. It’ll probably be worth it to play around with the hpX/hpY/nameBreakWidth values on some of them to minimize overlapping/crossing lines.

Mod prefixes: 0xA010 (registered) and 0xDCC8 (miscellaneous)

My mods on Xelerus: Click here!

Of all the things I’ve lost in life, I miss my mind the least. (I’m having a lot more fun without it!)
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

More compressed <Armor> questions: Where does the segmenting start? If it circles counter-clockwise, does it start at 0 degrees, such that a four segment ship goes from 0 to 90, 90 to 180, 180 to 270, and 270 to 360? This would give diagonal segment configuration, with fore-port, aft-port, aft-starboard, and fore-starboard.
Download and Play in 1.9 beta 1...
Drake Technologies (Alpha): More hardware for combat in parts 1 and 2!
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!
Playership Drones: Buy or restore exotic ships to command!

Other playable mods from 1.8 and 1.7, waiting to be updated...
Godmode v3 (WIP): Dev/cheat tool compatible with D&O parts 1 or 2.
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

PM wrote:More compressed <Armor> questions: Where does the segmenting start? If it circles counter-clockwise, does it start at 0 degrees, such that a four segment ship goes from 0 to 90, 90 to 180, 180 to 270, and 270 to 360? This would give diagonal segment configuration, with fore-port, aft-port, aft-starboard, and fore-starboard.
It starts in the middle of a segment (e.g., for 4 segments, each segment spans 90 degrees, the front segment starts at -45 and goes to 45). Segments proceed counter-clockwise.

Note, however, that there might be a bug (AssumedPseudonym reported that hit positions might not correspond). I'm going to take a look and make sure.
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

Wolfy wrote:George, will you be releasing a hotpatch to fix API20's incompatibility with older API mods using the old maneuverability system? (Currently it ignores those values and replaces them with default stats)
Yes, if necessary. Can you send me a mod that break it? (I tried it on my side and it seemed to work).
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

RPC wrote:
Added a property to set a ship's comms key.
What are the specifics of this property/how to set/get comms key?
Try:

Code: Select all

(objSetProperty obj 'commsKey "A")
(Set it to "" is you want to go back to default behavior).

Let me know if it works for you!
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

In the 1.3 beta xmls, the playerships have compressed <Armor>, so that (given George's post) armor is ordered Forward -> Port -> Aft -> Starboard.

However, the layout shown by StdPlayerShips.xml goes from Forward -> Starboard -> Port -> Aft.

Either <Armor> should be reverted to old style, or the HUD updated to new <Armor>.
Download and Play in 1.9 beta 1...
Drake Technologies (Alpha): More hardware for combat in parts 1 and 2!
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!
Playership Drones: Buy or restore exotic ships to command!

Other playable mods from 1.8 and 1.7, waiting to be updated...
Godmode v3 (WIP): Dev/cheat tool compatible with D&O parts 1 or 2.
Aury
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Location: Somewhere in the Frontier on a Hycrotan station, working on new ships.

george moromisato wrote:
Wolfy wrote:George, will you be releasing a hotpatch to fix API20's incompatibility with older API mods using the old maneuverability system? (Currently it ignores those values and replaces them with default stats)
Yes, if necessary. Can you send me a mod that break it? (I tried it on my side and it seemed to work).
Apparently playerships are all set to 7.5 maneuverability - I'm not sure how the calculation works exactly, but I know that the only playership I have - the osaka - gets set to 7.5 or maybe thats just a complete coincidence. This isn't really my bug report though, I believe it was PM and atarlost who found it on irc
(shpOrder gPlayership 'barrelRoll)
(plySetGenome gPlayer (list 'Varalyn 'nonBinary))
Homelab Servers: Xeon Silver 4110, 16GB | Via Quadcore C4650, 16GB | Athlon 200GE, 8GB | i7 7800X, 32GB | Threadripper 1950X, 32GB | Atom x5 8350, 4GB | Opteron 8174, 16GB | Xeon E5 2620 v3, 8GB | 2x Xeon Silver 4116, 96GB, 2x 1080ti | i7 8700, 32GB, 6500XT
Workstations & Render machines: Threadripper 3990X, 128GB, 6900XT | Threadripper 2990WX, 32GB, 1080ti | Xeon Platinum 8173M, 48GB, 1070ti | R9 3900X, 16GB, Vega64 | 2x E5 2430L v2, 24GB, 970 | R7 3700X, 32GB, A6000
Gaming Systems: R9 5950X, 32GB, 6700XT
Office Systems: Xeon 5318Y, 256GB, A4000
Misc Systems: R5 3500U, 20GB | R5 2400G, 16GB | i5 7640X, 16GB, Vega56 | E5 2620, 8GB, R5 260 | P4 1.8ghz, 0.75GB, Voodoo 5 5500 | Athlon 64 x2 4400+, 1.5GB, FX 5800 Ultra | Pentium D 3.2ghz, 4GB, 7600gt | Celeron g460, 8GB, 730gt | 2x Athlon FX 74, 8GB, 8800gts 512 | FX 9590, 16GB, R9 295x2 | E350, 8GB | Phenom X4 2.6ghz, 16GB, 8800gt | random core2 duo/atom/i5/i7 laptops
AssumedPseudonym
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

george moromisato wrote:Note, however, that there might be a bug (AssumedPseudonym reported that hit positions might not correspond). I'm going to take a look and make sure.
PM wrote:In the 1.3 beta xmls, the playerships have compressed <Armor>, so that (given George's post) armor is ordered Forward -> Port -> Aft -> Starboard.

However, the layout shown by StdPlayerShips.xml goes from Forward -> Starboard -> Port -> Aft.

Either <Armor> should be reverted to old style, or the HUD updated to new <Armor>.
 That summarizes my bug test findings. Thank you, PM, I probably never would have been able to boil it down that simply. ^.^

Personally, I’d be in favor of reverting to the old armor coding since it involves fewer lines from armor names to HP boxes crossing over each other in the HUD, but that’s mostly for aesthetics.

Mod prefixes: 0xA010 (registered) and 0xDCC8 (miscellaneous)

My mods on Xelerus: Click here!

Of all the things I’ve lost in life, I miss my mind the least. (I’m having a lot more fun without it!)
RPC
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Location: Hmm... I'm confused. Anybody have a starmap to the Core?

Do they really do 105 hp damage?
magic missile.png
magic missile.png (248.09 KiB) Viewed 10188 times
Tutorial List on the Wiki and Installing Mods
Get on Discord for mod help and general chat
Der Tod ist der zeitlose Frieden und das leben ist der Krieg
Wir müssen wissen — wir werden wissen!
I don't want any sort of copyright on my Transcendence mods. Feel free to take/modify whatever you want.
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

george moromisato wrote:
Any mod that still runs and has a ship with a maneuver rating other than 2.

The game is obviously failing to defaults after ignoring the old maneuverability attribute of shipclass. The critical problem is that this is happening for mods under API versions that don't support the new maneuver tag.

It's most obvious when using playerships since they display their maneuverability on the start screen (though oddly in different units than the new maneuver tag uses) but PM reports seeing freighters and capital ships and hornets all turn the same in Playership Drones. The best test platform is probably PSD modified to allow some particularly sluggish ships as starters.
Literally is the new Figuratively
EditorRUS
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

RPC wrote:Do they really do 105 hp damage?
magic missile.png
Oh damn. I think that's true.
Even though they're described as thermonuclear weapon it also says it's low-end missile. Maybe it's fusion is so ineffective that it gives just a powerful blast, but that blast isn't enough to be "fusion"-like.
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

EditorRUS wrote:
RPC wrote:Do they really do 105 hp damage?
magic missile.png
Oh damn. I think that's true.
Even though they're described as thermonuclear weapon it also says it's low-end missile. Maybe it's fusion is so ineffective that it gives just a powerful blast, but that blast isn't enough to be "fusion"-like.
I think from the description it's definitely designed as a blast weapon. Just a really really good one to pack nuclear-yield stuff into a 50kg package. I'll have to try them out and see what it's like.....
Mischievous local moderator. She/Her pronouns.
Shaman
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Burak missiles are cheap and deadly and the curator strongholds usually have about 200 missiles as loot.
Description says there should be a devivce to add tracking, but I've never seen it.
The 600er can crack stations like asteroid bases with one missile or so. The 500er is close. Also very deadly against capital ships.
FAD
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Atarlost wrote:
FAD wrote:The targeting/swivel on the Freyr tends to stick at times (as was previously mentioned) although this feature is very short-lived by my game/play style anyway. It's a useless feature where omni weapons (of any manufacturer) prevails, since it's not that much better than having a straight shooter installed. I died in the starting system by a small random group of hornets because of the ship's current lay-out. Maybe having 60 degree arc instead of 30 would help this ship.
Atarlost wrote:This is a problem with using a ship for a style of play that doesn't suit it.
Exactly, which is why I stated that its feature is short-lived due to my play style. It's the same for the Wolfen in that respect; It's not compatible with my play style. The only straight shooter I seem to be halfway decent with is the FFH, but that's used mainly for base cracking, while my primary is some sort of omni weapon. Even after all these years I still fail with straight shooters.
Atarlost wrote:The Freyr was a perfectly playable if less than ideal ship when it had 20 degree swivel with buggy targeting. It has only been improved with faster turning, more swivelable weapon options, and reduced auto-target bugginess. I would never recommend increasing the swivel arc, which is fine for people used to firing forwards. The only real issue other than the targeting bug that has been fixed was the weapon selection and that's probably going to take time to test.
I had suggested further increasing the swivel arc so as to hopefully find a happy medium for both play styles; straight shooters and omniers.

But what would really be interesting is if there were an option to turn off/on the swivel platform, or even being able to adjust its arc accordingly to its given radius. Set it to 10 degees, 20...up to 60 max. If that were possible I think it would solve the issue overall, not to mention adding something really special to this particular feature and ship. It would then be as unique as the Conny and its non-removable bay and the Man's no shields/repairer set-ups. As it is currently, any installed omni weapon will override this feature, taking the 'specialty' out of it entirely.
Atarlost wrote:If omni weapons ever prevail for a majority of experienced players they've been allowed to become too powerful and need to be nerfed like the IM90 was.
Omni weapons only prevail to omni users, such as myself. Most omni weapons are already nerfed from their straight-shooting counterparts; either having less fireRateAdj, less range, more energy draw or weaker damage dealt. Still, having such a lesser weapon is favorable when being able to actually hit something, it has it's own worth, indeed. I'll take a nerfed omni over a straight-shooter any day...that's my play style. :wink:
FAD
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Shaman wrote:Burak missiles are cheap and deadly and the curator strongholds usually have about 200 missiles as loot.
Description says there should be a devivce to add tracking, but I've never seen it.
The 600er can crack stations like asteroid bases with one missile or so. The 500er is close. Also very deadly against capital ships.
Even the corp trading post has nothing for when ordering the Uzan targeting scanner (for the Burak launcher), so my guess is that it's either unique for the player to obtain, or it hasn't been implemented yet. And like the SmartCannon shells, the Burak 200's are non-sellable, so ya either have to use them or toss them out...and I do the latter, as NAMI has tracking missiles. :P