1.3 RC 1

New releases and announcements from George and the staff.
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

The only enemy ships prior to St. K's with shields as strong as class III deflector are gladiators in later rounds (and a possible Molotok). Enemy ships in the first system should not be so tough to kill, if the player is expected to kill them, at least no tougher than Arco.

Until the next version comes out, tutorial missions are required if player wants galactic map. I will do tutorial missions just for the galactic map, even if they are tedious.
Watch TV, Do Nothing wrote:I am a big Smartcannon fan, but I don't feel that Wolfen players should be given one.
Why? It is a guaranteed omni/tracking weapon for any ship that wants it. (I like omni weapons even when I play fast gunships like the Wolfen.) Even if I do not want the weapon, I can always use the cash from selling it.
Download and Play in 1.9 beta 1...
Drake Technologies (Alpha): More hardware for combat in parts 1 and 2!
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!
Playership Drones: Buy or restore exotic ships to command!

Other playable mods from 1.8 and 1.7, waiting to be updated...
Godmode v3 (WIP): Dev/cheat tool compatible with D&O parts 1 or 2.
Aeon Blaze
Miner
Miner

My impressions of the Benedict's tutorial :~
1~ The "Save the Ei7000" mission should be toned down in terms of difficulty level because a newbie, just adapting to controls, would have a hell of a time trying to bring down those Atonements. As others pointed out it would be better if it was 2 Repentants + 1 Atonement.
2~ The Galactic map should not be given by Benedict in the tutorial because its a very useful and important item to have, players who opt out of the Benedict's tutorial don't get a shot at having it.

A suggestion~ Benedict could set the player on Arco's trail, so as to make him/her aware of his existence and menace. And if the Explorer auton is set to explore only friendly station, that would increase it usability and survival rate because straying into enemy territory is suicide.
Heliogenesis
Anarchist
Anarchist
Location: On the Shinsari city-ship Beacon of Hope, rediscovering the galaxy

It appears that the maneuvering thruster effects (the "turnLeft" and "turnRight" thrusters) aren't showing up on any ships. Tested by extracting files to empty folder, then starting new game with no extensions. No vanilla player ship has turn thruster effects.
"In this world, there exists a balance between those who are creators, and those who are users. [...] I vow to dedicate myself to the side of creation. The labour involved becomes joy when I know there are those who will enjoy my work to the fullest."
-Hermit Gunsmith, Cave Story
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Important details from release notes should be more accessible. It took me about a minute of searching to find this.
1.3 beta 2 release notes wrote:•Maneuvering thruster effects removed (but can be added back with showManeuverEffects option in Settings.xml).
I dislike the new auto-save at missions, and I suspect this little gem will be harder to find as time passes...
1.3 RC 1 release notes wrote:•Your game is now saved at the start of most missions. This can be prevented with the noMissionCheckpoint option in Settings.
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!

pixelfck
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

PM wrote:Important details from release notes should be more accessible. It took me about a minute of searching to find this.
1.3 beta 2 release notes wrote:•Maneuvering thruster effects removed (but can be added back with showManeuverEffects option in Settings.xml).
I dislike the new auto-save at missions, and I suspect this little gem will be harder to find as time passes...
1.3 RC 1 release notes wrote:•Your game is now saved at the start of most missions. This can be prevented with the noMissionCheckpoint option in Settings.
Any option that can be set in the Settings.xml file should be in this file by default, with the default value set.
So, for those two new options, the default, autocreated Settings.xml file should include:

Code: Select all

<Option name="showManeuverEffects"	value="false"/>
	<Option name="noMissionCheckpoint"	value="false"/>
Also, it may be better to avoid double negatives and switch the setting noMissionCheckpoint=false into missionCheckpoint=true.

~Pixelfck
Download the Black Market Expansion from Xelerus.de today!
My other mods at xelerus.de
pixelfck
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Is it possible to switch of the new mission target indicators (the bulging green/red rings around a target)?
I really don't like them; I may like the concept (some sort of mission target indicator) but the current edition is waaay too blunt. It makes me feel the game expects me to be too stupid to realize which object is the target on my own.

As a side note: the size of the mission target rings is wobbling, because it takes into account the size of the thruster effects.

Cheers,
Pixelfck
Download the Black Market Expansion from Xelerus.de today!
My other mods at xelerus.de
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Can we have more details how the updated (objSetShowAsDestination ...) works?

If the modder can control what can appear on the screen (rippling marker on screen, but no name/arrow offscreen, smaller markers on map), and a color override for markers, it can make something like a fancier scanner possible. The rippling marker below targets looks nice. (I want more control over the markers to make a better ore scanner!)

Arkheias
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

I was looking at the Makayev.xml file for corporate command and saw that the advanced and heavy novaya armors appear to be set to use a tenth of the power listed in their description. The descriptions state that they will use 12MW and 6MW respectively while they seem to be set to actually use 1.2MW and 0.6MW respectively. The power requirements for the medium and light armors appear to match their descriptions at 2MW and 0.5MW respectively. I have only checked for this in the files for version 1.3 RC 1.
Cabbage Corp, the only mod with cabbages!

Please feel free to submit bug reports or issues related to the Cabbage Corp mod on the GitHub page, the forum thread, in a private message or even on the Xelerus page. Suggestions are fine too.
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Comments about Tau Ceti start.
* Benedict can appear in Tau Ceti.
* Since player starts next to Icarus, he must find the Sisters first, and they can be far away.
* Benedict will give target practice, a kill station tutorial, and maybe a few more (loot then sell), then leave. No free SmartCannon or Fiona missions.

Neuromancer
Miner
Miner

Found a bug:

In St. Katherine's Star, I completed the Taikon mission but did not get the Galaxy Map.

I took a Militia mission first, and then decided to take the university mission as well on the off chance that the targets were nearby each other. I finished the university mission and took the object back and completed the mission. The mission completion text worked and now the conversation options are those that I would get having completed the mission normally. The map is still not available though, and says "No galaxy map installed".
sun1404
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

The map has been moved to be Benedict's final reward.
Yes, look at my avatar, I have a wyvera type ship.