1.5 Beta 1

New releases and announcements from George and the staff.
AssumedPseudonym
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

A couple of initial thoughts, now that I have the beta up and running:

» The armor screen can’t be used without the mouse for a four-segment ship with its armor at the corners instead of more traditional setup.
» Having “B” set for the “Enable/Disable” shortcut on the armor and weapon screens when it’s used for “Buy” everywhere else is hell on muscle memory.

Mod prefixes: 0xA010 (registered) and 0xDCC8 (miscellaneous)

My mods on Xelerus: Click here!

Of all the things I’ve lost in life, I miss my mind the least. (I’m having a lot more fun without it!)
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Armor dealers seem to use the old armor repair dockscreen. Seems like an easy fix.

Also, do laser deflectors hold any significance in the game's engine(serving as a default, for example)? The game seems to offer to install one whenever I buy a segment of armor, and when I take the option, the original item appears in my inventory with no change to my shield. It also sets the price for that service to that of buying and installing a laser deflector.
Last edited by JohnBWatson on Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arkheias
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Neither the corporate metropolis nor any of the surrounding stations offer the new fancy armor, weapons or reactor upgrade screens yet, which really make me wonder why the news page for this update shows the manticore utilizing the armor screen. I was able to get the screens to appear by traveling to other systems and using different stations though, so this seems like a matter of the stations just needing to be updated.
Cabbage Corp, the only mod with cabbages!

Please feel free to submit bug reports or issues related to the Cabbage Corp mod on the GitHub page, the forum thread, in a private message or even on the Xelerus page. Suggestions are fine too.
Xephyr
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

george moromisato wrote:
Xephyr wrote: Not sure why the Wolfen effects regressed for you. They seem to OK to me. Are you running extensions?
I was only running Corporate Command. The engine effects are back to normal now, so I'm not too sure what went wrong there.

EDIT:

Looks like I spoke too soon. Just started up another game and the effects regressed.
Project Renegade (Beta) : "The Poor Man's Corporate Command!"
Real programmers count from 0. And sometimes I do, too.
Arkheias
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

What I've noticed is that when you start a new game you will occasionally get the effects on the left, but if you reload a save then it will nearly always use the effects on the right.

Also, when I tested this last night, I got the effects on the left a few times, then it always showed the effects on the right, but this morning I seem to be getting the left effects with every new game when I first start the program, but if I exit a game and start a new game without restarting the program it will switch to the effects on the right unless it doesn't.
Attachments
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (12.66 KiB) Viewed 9280 times
Cabbage Corp, the only mod with cabbages!

Please feel free to submit bug reports or issues related to the Cabbage Corp mod on the GitHub page, the forum thread, in a private message or even on the Xelerus page. Suggestions are fine too.
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Arkheias wrote:What I've noticed is that when you start a new game you will occasionally get the effects on the left, but if you reload a save then it will nearly always use the effects on the right.

Also, when I tested this last night, I got the effects on the left a few times, then it always showed the effects on the right, but this morning I seem to be getting the left effects with every new game when I first start the program, but if I exit a game and start a new game without restarting the program it will switch to the effects on the right unless it doesn't.
Those aren't the old effects. That's the new effects sometimes being buggy and displaying at minimum. If you generate a bunch of identical ships in the intro screen and cycle between them you'll notice some have anemic thrust effects. You just got unlucky to have it happen twice in close proximity to the playership.
Literally is the new Figuratively
Xephyr
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Has mining been rebalanced? It seems I can't get xenonite in the early systems like I used to.
AssumedPseudonym
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

AssumedPseudonym wrote:
george moromisato wrote:
AssumedPseudonym wrote: Did you change anything about the system requirements in the new beta from 1.3? I can run 1.3 just fine via WINE, but the new 1.5 beta either crashes almost immediately on launch or hangs for a couple of minutes before crashing.
Bummer. I don't think I changed anything, but obviously something changed. If there's anything in Debug.log, I'd like to see it.
 …Okay, now I am thoroughly confused. I had tried it last night and it didn’t work. I tried it before going to class this morning and it didn’t work. I tried it when I got home from class and it didn’t work. I tried it after updating WINE and it still didn’t work. When I checked debug.log though, it showed that all of the extensions had loaded (and I admit I did copy the folder over almost immediately after unzipping the beta). That was the extent of the file, was just the list of extensions loading. So naturally I trashed the Extensions folder and… suddenly 1.5b1 worked. Furthermore, when I started copying extensions back over one subfolder at a time, the game rather stubbornly persisted in not crashing on loading.
 So I have no idea what was wrong. None whatsoever. The upshot is that I have a working beta, though. So… yay, I guess…?
 Actually, I think I found what the problem really was. It wasn’t the extensions, I’m pretty sure it was the music. The fact that the game decided to run when I took the Extensions folder out was mostly a fluke, apparently, and I turned the music off when I got to the point that I could because the soundtrack doesn’t seem to want to play via WINE, anyway. I discovered this was the most likely problem when I tried turning music back on earlier today and everything froze.

Of all the things I’ve lost in life, I miss my mind the least. (I’m having a lot more fun without it!)
AssumedPseudonym
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Another bug on the armor screen: After repairing an armor segment, it still shows as being damaged when you select that particular segment.

JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

AssumedPseudonym wrote: Another bug on the armor screen: After repairing an armor segment, it still shows as being damaged when you select that particular segment.
Can confirm.
Aury
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Location: Somewhere in the Frontier on a Hycrotan station, working on new ships.

I was reading over the changes again and I cant say that I agree with damage always clipping to 0

I had some old shields that specifically used a negative damage adjustment to over-charge with a specific damage type

There should be some way of overriding this explicitly at least
(shpOrder gPlayership 'barrelRoll)
(plySetGenome gPlayer (list 'Varalyn 'nonBinary))
Homelab Servers: Xeon Silver 4110, 16GB | Via Quadcore C4650, 16GB | Athlon 200GE, 8GB | i7 7800X, 32GB | Threadripper 1950X, 32GB | Atom x5 8350, 4GB | Opteron 8174, 16GB | Xeon E5 2620 v3, 8GB | 2x Xeon Silver 4116, 96GB, 2x 1080ti | i7 8700, 32GB, 6500XT
Workstations & Render machines: Threadripper 3990X, 128GB, 6900XT | Threadripper 2990WX, 32GB, 1080ti | Xeon Platinum 8173M, 48GB, 1070ti | R9 3900X, 16GB, Vega64 | 2x E5 2430L v2, 24GB, 970 | R7 3700X, 32GB, A6000
Gaming Systems: R9 5950X, 32GB, 6700XT
Office Systems: Xeon 5318Y, 256GB, A4000
Misc Systems: R5 3500U, 20GB | R5 2400G, 16GB | i5 7640X, 16GB, Vega56 | E5 2620, 8GB, R5 260 | P4 1.8ghz, 0.75GB, Voodoo 5 5500 | Athlon 64 x2 4400+, 1.5GB, FX 5800 Ultra | Pentium D 3.2ghz, 4GB, 7600gt | Celeron g460, 8GB, 730gt | 2x Athlon FX 74, 8GB, 8800gts 512 | FX 9590, 16GB, R9 295x2 | E350, 8GB | Phenom X4 2.6ghz, 16GB, 8800gt | random core2 duo/atom/i5/i7 laptops
AssumedPseudonym
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

The new weapon/device/armor dockscreen bypasses the need to have a military ID to shop at armory of a Commonwealth fortress. They still check it if you try to visit the armory proper, but if you try to buy an upgrade from the dock, the only thing they won’t sell you is milspec equipment.

Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Not to be pushy or anything, but all these bug reports would be less likely to get lost and more likely to be acted upon if they were in the proper forum.
Literally is the new Figuratively
Xephyr
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

The masks around the suns aren't even all around.

http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/d24 ... 6a3990abd9