1.6 Beta 1

New releases and announcements from George and the staff.
catfighter
Militia Commander
Militia Commander
Location: Laughing manically amidst the wreckage of the Iocrym fleet.

Utterly stunning! :D I ran through a few systems and I'll try the Battle Arena later, but absolutely amazing graphics!

I ran a mission for a commonwealth slum in St. Kat's that asked me to destroy "something that had been attacking us", so I zoomed out in map view and...nothing. No target indication. I waited 10 minutes and nothing flew up to attack the station. I destroyed a couple of random bases and buzzed through ST. Kat's. Still nothing. I'm thinking the enemy was destroyed on the way over and this wasn't registered, but I'll wait a few minutes more before giving up on their phantom menace.
Last edited by catfighter on Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Behold my avatar, one of the few ships to be drawn out pixel by pixel in the dreaded... Microsoft Paint!

Day 31: "I have successfully completed my time reversal experiment! Muahahaha!!!"
Day 30: "I might have run into a little problem here."
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Maximum seems to run fine on my three year ago i5 computer with four cores and no gpu, although load times are somewhat longer than before.

Some of my mods spit error messages in 1.6; I will troubleshoot when I can.

Some bugs I noticed when trying to update Star Castle mod.
* Saves do not load if POV is not set to the playership.
* BackgroundID="0" in SystemType does not seem to work - mod will not load at all. (Wanted to try for that old-school retrogame feel.)

Feature suggestion: Way to lock POV to non playership object after (insurance-like) respawn. I tried to set POV during the respawn event, but it does not work. It automatically sets it to the playership, and there is a noticeable one tick delay when I correct this in a delayed event elsewhere.

Question: Is there any way to detect what resolution a player is using in the game? (I want to adjust distances and shot speed depending on player's screen size.)

EDIT: One more bug: (sysCreateShip ...) returns an error if one of its devices has a non-standard category. For example, a ship has a missile defense device with category="weapon", and (sysCreateShip ...) returns an error. The ship is spawned, but the rest of the function after sysCreateShip is ignored.
Download and Play in 1.9 beta 1...
Drake Technologies (Alpha): More hardware for combat in parts 1 and 2!
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!
Playership Drones: Buy or restore exotic ships to command!

Other playable mods from 1.8 and 1.7, waiting to be updated...
Godmode v3 (WIP): Dev/cheat tool compatible with D&O parts 1 or 2.
Watch TV, Do Nothing
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Are the Burak and Orkan series of missiles supposed to be so cheap? Burak500s cost less than individual Akan shells.
catfighter
Militia Commander
Militia Commander
Location: Laughing manically amidst the wreckage of the Iocrym fleet.

I reduplicated in Eridani, so it's definitely a bug. Apparently, quotation marks are attacking and I'm just getting paid plural credits (could be 2000, or just 2 if they're feeling mean) to stop them. :lol: :roll:
1.6_Beta_Habitat_Mission_Error.jpg
1.6_Beta_Habitat_Mission_Error.jpg (165.77 KiB) Viewed 9675 times
Behold my avatar, one of the few ships to be drawn out pixel by pixel in the dreaded... Microsoft Paint!

Day 31: "I have successfully completed my time reversal experiment! Muahahaha!!!"
Day 30: "I might have run into a little problem here."
NMS
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I like the new dockscreens too, but it's a bit odd that the borders just end at the title bar. That bar could use a border so it doesn't look like it's stuck on overlapping the rest of the screen.
AssumedPseudonym
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

…Is the Svalbard Explorer supposed randomly to show up in the intro screen as of 1.6…? o.O

Mod prefixes: 0xA010 (registered) and 0xDCC8 (miscellaneous)

My mods on Xelerus: Click here!

Of all the things I’ve lost in life, I miss my mind the least. (I’m having a lot more fun without it!)
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Non-weapon devices that have category="weapon" can be selected as a weapon, when they probably should not. Not only they do nothing for the player, but I suspect that is what causes error message when an NPC ship with such a device pre-installed gets spawned via (sysCreateShip ...)
Download and Play in 1.9 beta 1...
Drake Technologies (Alpha): More hardware for combat in parts 1 and 2!
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!
Playership Drones: Buy or restore exotic ships to command!

Other playable mods from 1.8 and 1.7, waiting to be updated...
Godmode v3 (WIP): Dev/cheat tool compatible with D&O parts 1 or 2.
AssumedPseudonym
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Adventure Outfitters still use the old dockscreen setup for the most part. Consequentially, it’s impossible to buy almost anything from them — weapons, ammo, shields, armor, or miscellaneous devices. The one I just found has a single lonely auton for sale.

Mod prefixes: 0xA010 (registered) and 0xDCC8 (miscellaneous)

My mods on Xelerus: Click here!

Of all the things I’ve lost in life, I miss my mind the least. (I’m having a lot more fun without it!)
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

AssumedPseudonym wrote: …Is the Svalbard Explorer supposed randomly to show up in the intro screen as of 1.6…? o.O
Real Men show up randomly in the intro screen.

....and Kate Morgental, apparently. She can duke it out with the 330M Mule swarms.

In terms of actual feedback: the new background effects make the black edges on the little "mylar" pieces that fly away from exploding ships look a bit ugly....while it shouldn't be a high priority, re-rendering these without the edging effects will likely make ship destruction look even cooler than it does right now.

This is actually a thing in general with stock (Ie: Truespace) rendered stuff, particularly older renders....it has a black edges around parts of it that blended in reasonably well in the old background system, but really, really doesn't in the new one. Wolfy's TSB ships tend to have the opposite effect....before they looked a little too 'clean'....now they fit in with the starscape rather excellently. The effect is most obvious on smaller stuff, so the big spectacular stuff mostly doesn't suffer too badly.

This release has been pretty fun so far, with relatively few issues (apart from the broken missions that everyone has). Between that and the fun ministry tickets I've been able to file today, it's been a nice evening.
Mischievous local moderator. She/Her pronouns.
EditorRUS
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Just downloaded and played a bit. Decided to do a little speedrun without changing armor and stuff, only 1st system weapons and standard reactor.
And it crashed at Jiang's Star system.
Here's the crash log:
04/02/2015 00:38:14 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
04/02/2015 00:38:14 Start logging session
04/02/2015 00:38:14 Graphics quality standard (balanced performance): 78 ms; 2 cores.
04/02/2015 00:38:15 Transcendence 1.6 Beta 1
04/02/2015 00:38:17 Loading news.
04/02/2015 00:38:19 All resources downloaded.
04/02/2015 00:38:22 Initializing adventure: Transcendence.tdb
04/02/2015 00:38:27 Created new game
04/02/2015 00:38:27 Starting new game.
04/02/2015 00:38:27 Unable to add ship order 2 to ship class 3001; no target specified
04/02/2015 00:38:27 Unable to add ship order 2 to ship class 3001; no target specified
04/02/2015 00:38:27 Unable to add ship order 2 to ship class 153003; no target specified
04/02/2015 00:38:28 Unable to add ship order 2 to ship class 153005; no target specified
04/02/2015 00:38:28 Unable to add ship order 2 to ship class 153005; no target specified
04/02/2015 00:38:28 Unable to add ship order 2 to ship class 153004; no target specified
04/02/2015 00:38:28 Unable to add ship order 2 to ship class 3001; no target specified
04/02/2015 01:01:28 Unable to continue due to program error.

program state: OnAnimate
program state: painting map
game state: in game

Please contact [email protected] with a copy of Debug.log and your save file. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

04/02/2015 01:01:32 End logging session
AdmiralZo
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

I'm not sure what's happening here as I haven't been able to log in to the multiverse through Transcendence.exe for a few months now.

It keeps saying "Error from Multiverse: Invalid response from server at multiverse.kronosaur.com: Unexpected end of stream"

Even with the new 1.6 Beta 1 which I just downloaded.

Apart from that, I love the new look of the new commonwealth stations and various ships!
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

AdmiralZo wrote:I'm not sure what's happening here as I haven't been able to log in to the multiverse through Transcendence.exe for a few months now.

It keeps saying "Error from Multiverse: Invalid response from server at multiverse.kronosaur.com: Unexpected end of stream"

Even with the new 1.6 Beta 1 which I just downloaded.

Apart from that, I love the new look of the new commonwealth stations and various ships!
Could you send me your Debug.log file so I can take a look?

Also, try one thing: in Settings.xml, there is an setting for <Hexarc> (under <Services>). Change the host parameter to "multiverse2.kronosaur.com" (instead of "multiverse.kronosaur.com"). Let me know if that works or not.

Lastly, do you have any kind of firewall or anti-virus software running?
NMS
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

NMS wrote:I like the new dockscreens too, but it's a bit odd that the borders just end at the title bar. That bar could use a border so it doesn't look like it's stuck on overlapping the rest of the screen.
I realized that this has been the case for a while. The internal borders just make it stand out a bit more.
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

catfighter wrote:I reduplicated in Eridani, so it's definitely a bug. Apparently, quotation marks are attacking and I'm just getting paid plural credits (could be 2000, or just 2 if they're feeling mean) to stop them. :lol: :roll:
I got this also. There was no mission target.
Literally is the new Figuratively
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

Atarlost wrote:
catfighter wrote:I reduplicated in Eridani, so it's definitely a bug. Apparently, quotation marks are attacking and I'm just getting paid plural credits (could be 2000, or just 2 if they're feeling mean) to stop them. :lol: :roll:
I got this also. There was no mission target.
This is almost certainly caused by the seededRandom bug. This will be fixed in the next beta (which will come out soon...)