1.7 Beta 3

New releases and announcements from George and the staff.
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

JohnBWatson wrote:I like this idea, though it may run the risk of making the higher end PD weapon useless.
If Flensers and its PD variant Longreach are effectively lightspeed weapons too, then they should get continuousBeam treatment as well (maybe missileSpeed of 900 instead of 1000). ICX lasers cannot stop other beams. Longreach theoretically can, but with low interaction, it is not well suited for anti-beam.

That probably would not help for initial 1.7 if continuousBeam gets slapped on ICX at the last minute. There are no useful visible effects for continuousBeam aside from solid beams (among smooth, jagged, or wavy).
Download and Play in 1.9 beta 1...
Drake Technologies (Alpha): More hardware for combat in parts 1 and 2!
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!
Playership Drones: Buy or restore exotic ships to command!

Other playable mods from 1.8 and 1.7, waiting to be updated...
Godmode v3 (WIP): Dev/cheat tool compatible with D&O parts 1 or 2.
Watch TV, Do Nothing
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Definitely revert, hostile Borers mount this as well so it has to be balanced to be an appropriate adversary weapon as well as a mining tool.
DigaRW
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Strange, I can't download the file from my phone...
Download Transcendence mods from Reinvented Workbench Project!
Click this link!
shanejfilomena
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

I see no value to the Beam thingy.....

The Effects are still too huge for the ship sizes ...... Obviously nobody cares.....

other then that I like the Ship Defender thing ... create from station ....which could (or have) simply been put into a station base ..

but for Mod stations it is nice to have pieced out.
Flying Irresponsibly In Eridani......

I don't like to kill pirates in cold blood ..I do it.. but I don't like it..
TheLoneWolf
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Anybody thought of using that effect for creating a Tractor Beam?
Watch TV, Do Nothing
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Are there many game mechanics that benefit from a tractor beam effect? There have been tractor "beam" mods and tow rope mods in the past but they are just not very interesting. If anything, a tractor beam would be more interesting as an enemy weapon than for the player to use themselves.

I could see a niche application for it if the tractor beam had a long range, you could use it to pull fast ships into range of a short-range but high-powered weapons like the Moskva 11 or plasma torch. You could also use it to force ships into gravity wells or mines. An enemy that lived near gravity wells or minefields and tried to pull the player into the hazard would probably more interesting than the player doing that themselves.

If there was a game mechanic where repositioning wrecks was significant in some way, a tractor beam could also have utility. For example, if you benefited in some way from a particular station's consorts salvaging wrecks, and they had a known salvaging radius, you could use a tractor beam to feed them wrecks. This would be tedious unless there was a cap on how many wrecks you could salvage in this manner.

All in all I don't see a player weapon slot dedicated to a tractor-only beam being particularly useful.
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

A tractor beam could be used to hold a target steady while it is bombarded using a secondary weapon - this would greatly multiply the damage output of most unguided launchers in late game. Depending on how useful you want the tractor beam to be it could also lock the target's direction, preventing it from bringing its own weapons to bear on you.
TheLoneWolf
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

It would look good (and sorta original) on capital ships. ESPECIALLY the Aquila and Xenophobe Defender!