1.8 Beta 1 is ready!

New releases and announcements from George and the staff.
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I do not remember. The point of mentioning corpses is it is a one-shot item that provides permanent character power. That item could be named a scroll, gem, food, potion, software, present, whatever. While many such items provide an immediate effect, others could provide permanent power... or take it away, or even kill you.
Download and Play in 1.9 beta 1...
Drake Technologies (Alpha): More hardware for combat in parts 1 and 2!
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!
Playership Drones: Buy or restore exotic ships to command!

Other playable mods from 1.8 and 1.7, waiting to be updated...
Godmode v3 (WIP): Dev/cheat tool compatible with D&O parts 1 or 2.
Oddball
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Bug report. Rigel arena flew to destroyed ship adjacent to the wall gonna do some salvage. Then couldn't leave ship stuck in wall. Blasted the ship I was scavenging and still was stuck in wall. No other obstacle near other than wall. Too bad was the best game I had had on 1.8 lol

tried quitting and restarting no use still in wall.
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Oddball wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:44 pm
Bug report. Rigel arena flew to destroyed ship adjacent to the wall gonna do some salvage. Then couldn't leave ship stuck in wall. Blasted the ship I was scavenging and still was stuck in wall. No other obstacle near other than wall. Too bad was the best game I had had on 1.8 lol

That also happened to me.
Ferdinand
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

JohnBWatson wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:27 pm
Oddball wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:44 pm

That also happened to me.
To me too... :(
After defeating the slicer :mrgreen: , got stuck in the wall while looting his wreck, that was a bit off from the wall. :roll:
lets go kill myself then.... I will be free!!! :shock:
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Just started a rewrite for Playership Drones. So far, I am simply experimenting and laying the ground work for updating it to 1.8. Assuming that I can rewrite Playership Drones and get it working for 1.8, I do not know how when it will be ready.

While experimenting with Ship Broker, I noticed ships that were purchased from Ship Broker then sold back get offered for resale (presumably because those ships had the shipBroker attribute), but starter ships or others that were not bought from the ship broker will not be offered for sale, much like a notForSale item. For example, sell your starter Wolfen, and it will not be available for resale, but a Wolfen you bought from the broker can be (provided the broker could sell Wolfens). I am not sure if this is a bug, but probably just a side effect of attributes present on some ships and not on others; and such a fix, if desired, is probably too big a mess to deal with.

I guess if I stumble on more things that may be a problem, I will probably post something.
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!

shanejfilomena
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

PM wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:19 am
Just started a rewrite for Playership Drones. So far, I am simply experimenting and laying the ground work for updating it to 1.8. Assuming that I can rewrite Playership Drones and get it working for 1.8, I do not know how when it will be ready.

While experimenting with Ship Broker, I noticed ships that were purchased from Ship Broker then sold back get offered for resale (presumably because those ships had the shipBroker attribute), but starter ships or others that were not bought from the ship broker will not be offered for sale, much like a notForSale item. For example, sell your starter Wolfen, and it will not be available for resale, but a Wolfen you bought from the broker can be (provided the broker could sell Wolfens). I am not sure if this is a bug, but probably just a side effect of attributes present on some ships and not on others; and such a fix, if desired, is probably too big a mess to deal with.

I guess if I stumble on more things that may be a problem, I will probably post something.
THIS sounds exciting, I love PSD .... and I won't take any Meds for it :)

I would think that if it's simply an Attrib, then why can't one be added to the stock PlayerShips, copy & paste....

Granted buying back your old ship because you are sentimental or couldn't get comfy with the new one might only be available in the Extension.....but it's a place to start & more reason to use the Extension ( if it cuts out the extras that I really don't think it would need anymore since the universe has come so far.......all the more reason to get the latest version when it's ready :) )
Flying Irresponsibly In Eridani......

I don't like to kill pirates in cold blood ..I do it.. but I don't like it..
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

After some experimenting, it is possible to have playership drone wingmen use stock ships and have their Communications and Events tacked on later with various event (handling) functions. In theory, I could probably make playership drones use mostly stock ships and add custom ships solely for starter or broker ships. However, this has run into a few snags with attributes. The most annoying one is piracy checks, which depend on ship's attributes. I just posted a ticket about ship attributes vs. piracy check.

I have not experimented with capital ships and linked-fire weapons yet. That is something I need to check soon (for possible problems). I will examine the Minotaur to help me get started.

Also, most of the stock ships are not suitable for player use yet (such as no reactor and no hero shot). I guess this is what George mentioned during a few twitch sessions, and possible help from the community with various stats for ships. I have not done serious work on that yet, but I probably should soon. When I am ready, I should start another topic with some suggestions.

shanejfilomena
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

PM wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:26 pm
After some experimenting, it is possible to have playership drone wingmen use stock ships and have their Communications and Events tacked on later with various event (handling) functions. In theory, I could probably make playership drones use mostly stock ships and add custom ships solely for starter or broker ships. However, this has run into a few snags with attributes. The most annoying one is piracy checks, which depend on ship's attributes. I just posted a ticket about ship attributes vs. piracy check.

I have not experimented with capital ships and linked-fire weapons yet. That is something I need to check soon (for possible problems). I will examine the Minotaur to help me get started.

Also, most of the stock ships are not suitable for player use yet (such as no reactor and no hero shot). I guess this is what George mentioned during a few twitch sessions, and possible help from the community with various stats for ships. I have not done serious work on that yet, but I probably should soon. When I am ready, I should start another topic with some suggestions.
No Piracy Check : instead of going all High Tech , just pull it from the Fleet's Scarab Spawn code :
Attributes don't matter if the Spawn code over-rides the KorOnDestroy.

Code: Select all

(block (ship)
(setq ship (sysCreateShip &scScarabFreighter; (objGetObjRefData gSource "StartGate") &svCommonwealth;))
								(shpOrderGate ship (objGetObjRefData gSource "EndGate"))
								(objSetData ship "noPiracyCheck" True)
								(objRegisterForEvents gSource ship)

PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

The "NoPiracyCheck" only applies to freighters with that flag. What that means is the player can kill that particular freighter (the mission Scarab in your example) only without getting blamed for piracy.

"NoPiracyCheck" is applied to freighters as needed. Putting the check on your bloodthirsty and fanatical wingmen instead does not prevent them from yelling "Pirate!" at you for killing a random freighter (unless your wingman has auton, nonInterference, or zoanthrope attribute, which is tied to ship type).

shanejfilomena
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

PM wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:58 am
The "NoPiracyCheck" only applies to freighters with that flag. What that means is the player can kill that particular freighter (the mission Scarab in your example) only without getting blamed for piracy.

"NoPiracyCheck" is applied to freighters as needed. Putting the check on your bloodthirsty and fanatical wingmen instead does not prevent them from yelling "Pirate!" at you for killing a random freighter (unless your wingman has auton, nonInterference, or zoanthrope attribute, which is tied to ship type).
Ahhhhh, I forgot about Wingmen, you did not mention Wingmen - so it was never a thought.

I thought you were simply talking of spawning a new PlayerShip or Drone that might be a Freighter.

Ok, yes, then I agree that you would have to dance close to the fire to strip down the Piracy Check, while at the same time leave it functional for actual Piracy ......

NMS
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I see that intro screen commands are supposed to be in, but I can't get them to actually fire on the intro screen. I created a mod with <Type><Events><OnGlobalIntroCommand>(code)... , but when I load the mod, return to the intro screen, and enter something starting with ~ in the box, nothing happens, even if the code doesn't check the value of aCommand. Looking at the code, I think the ~ isn't actually being stripped, but I don't know enough about how events are handled to check whether that part is correct yet. Am I doing something wrong, or is it not working?
0xABCDEF
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant
Location: Was destroyed by a Phobos-class dreadnought in the Eridani system

NMS wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:26 am
I see that intro screen commands are supposed to be in, but I can't get them to actually fire on the intro screen.
I tested the intro screen commands earlier and found that the event is probably broken, though I know that they were working when I first implemented them.

Edit: Found one of my typos in the engine (can you see it?): https://github.com/kronosaur/Mammoth/bl ... n.cpp#L795
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

erwgd wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:23 pm
As JohnBWatson said, lower-end ships could be made for sale, and I think the EI100 could work as an alternative to the EI500. I can imagine it being compelling during the early game if you could only afford an EI100 with decent equipment, especially if you were otherwise struggling to loot or buy a similar loadout at that stage.
Actually, the EI100 is terrible because it is much too slow, and drives in modern Transcendence do not automatically override top speed. EI100 with even tritium drive is slower than EI200.

Perhaps there are other ships, but the EI100 is not one of them. It is purely a fodder ship due to terrible speed.

NMS
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

0xABCDEF wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:19 pm
Edit: Found one of my typos in the engine (can you see it?): https://github.com/kronosaur/Mammoth/bl ... n.cpp#L795
Ah, copy/paste error.

Code: Select all

for (i = 0; i < m_EventsCache[evtOnGlobalIntroStarted]->GetCount(); i++)
Should be evtOnGlobalIntroCommand. Sure enough, adding an OnGlobalIntroStarted event to the type makes the other one work. And apparently the ~ is being stripped when setting aCommand, though I don't see how.

Also, George likes to have a space between the function name and parenthesis before the arguments for definitions and declarations, to make it easier to search for them, but not calls.
0xABCDEF
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant
Location: Was destroyed by a Phobos-class dreadnought in the Eridani system

NMS wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:56 am
And apparently the ~ is being stripped when setting aCommand, though I don't see how.
https://github.com/kronosaur/Transcende ... n.cpp#L620

I think the intro screen could use some special starting scenarios (i.e. a battle between two gladiators)