0.98c

New releases and announcements from George and the staff.
dvlenk6
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Cardinal wrote:Can I transfer my favourite ships from 0.98b to 0.98c?
I did, didn't have any glitches so far. If I do I'll figure where the problem is; but I don't think there are any icompatabilities.
"War is hell."
-William Tecumseh Sherman
http://dvlenk6.blackraven3d.com/transgals.html
(name here)
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

I've hit a crash bug with the fleets mod, F50 isn't suffering from it, but it crashes when i enter a Stargate.
F50
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

I can understand the HUD disappearing (though I would prefer it back) but what about the fuel bar? It is definitely going to be easier to run out of fuel.

EDIT: Looks GREAT though. Having binary star systems is neat.
Fossaman
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I've only played a couple of systems, but it looks great. I've had just a little bit of trouble with the facings; the turning controls aren't quite sensitive enough to take full advantage of them. I usually end up turning two facings when I want to turn one, but it's still an improvement. And the graphics for it are awesome, very shiny looking.

I like the map zoom. But have you considered using some sort of hexagonal grid instead of a square one? For some reason that seems more intuitive for a circular map.
X-ray laser! Pew, pew pew!
> = = = = ۞
kaypy
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

It has just occured to me that the forums dont have a link to the main Transcendence website (as a direct result of reading this thread- "Ooh! Gotta go download! Wait! Theres no link back! NOOOOOOOOOO!") Alright, Ive got it bookmarked, so theres no need for the hysterics, but it seems odd not to link back...
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

Cardinal wrote:A HUD on/off toggle would be a good solution.
Agreed. That's my preferred solution also. Shouldn't be too hard to do for the next version.
Betelgeuse
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

personally I like the square grid better for the simple case of its easier to give better directions in that system. You will rarely go in the direction the squares or the hexagons but the squares line up and the hexagons don't in any lines (ie 0 lines). That makes it harder to say a direction while in a square grid you can easily say 4 across 1 up and people would get that.

I do like the new grid system it has the possibility of giving hints for things not around planets.
ie go to a bar and they say they have heard of a weapons dealer in sector (25,8) even if you don't know how big a sector is you can easily find it as long as you know the origin.
Crying is not a proper retort!
Cardinal
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

Betelgeuse wrote:Personally I like the square grid better for the simple case of its easier to give better directions in that system. You will rarely go in the direction the squares or the hexagons...
I don't dig the idea of hexagons at all. Too many bad cheap 80's RPG/Wargaming flashbacks...
I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.
dvlenk6
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I like those bad, cheap 80's rpg/wargames.
"War is hell."
-William Tecumseh Sherman
http://dvlenk6.blackraven3d.com/transgals.html
F50
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

The xenophobes need better weapons and slightly less resistant armor (who *should* win in a worldship vs CSC battle). I will be modding a momentum cannon onto all capships and stations, including the dreadnought (it won't push you *quite* to kiloton range), so that should get slightly harder.
Lord Trogg
Miner
Miner

I've been insanely lucky in this version too, I've gotten really great loot like class III deflector's three systems after Eridani and I found a mammoth 25mw for sale in Eridani as well as two plates of light orthosteel right after.
(name here)
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

There are more QACs in this version, same with spheres. don't know why. I haven't fought xenophobes in a while, but if i met them, my reluctance to use the QAC would be my weakness. Dreads are easier to beat because we know their weaknesses, maybe their exact behavior should be changed in an effort to surprise us. They should also have more gunships and stick with them more.
F50
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

There is another dreadnought that finds itself underpowered for similar reasons: Ion reflect crystals. Not one point of damage is made from other sources is usually scored. Same with the Demios. Ion reflect has become overpowered once more.
(name here)
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

I've been pounded by the main cannon of the phobos. Ion reflects were always overpowered, although not as much as you might think.