Lady Luck Part One.

Have a bit of Transcendence prose or poetry to share? Post it here!
rincewind
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

There are several schools of though on luck and most of them are completely wrong. Sentinent biengs love explainations and when they cannot explain something they make something else up to explain it.
Luck is only possible in small doses rarely ever showing up. What people call luck is the randomness of the universe going they're way. But luck does exist in very limited places and for very limited people. Most people would be happy to find out that luck exists and is possible then they would be completely depressed knowing they don't fit the criteria. Of course one man in the universe was unhappy luck existed. He would have preferred the randomness of the universe.

He was not afraid of the dark. In theory if you can't see what is about to kill you there is no reason to worry. Truth be told he didn't mind the dark. You could sit quietly and listen for other things. Like predators. Nine times out of ten a dark place was a place you were held until someone wanted to talk to you about saving the universe. He was sick of saving the universe. For a long time he was confused about why universal powers were against him. When he stopped looking for reasons they suddenly appeared. He remembered the day well, It was the day Death paid one of his visits that he realized he was no longer afraid of Death. It was his second time on a escape pod off the disc. Since the first time he had seen it all to the point he could almost predict outcomes based on his experience with other humans, orcs, dragons, heroes. Legends. Villians dictators, talking trees and in every instance a man named dibbler trying to sell you sausage. The moment he realized he had been chosen for a greater purpose it was he who was the true hero. “HELLO RINCEWIND” He didn't get scared. A great calm came over him. “Just coming for a visit are you?” If Death had a face he would have smiled. “SO YOU FIGURED IT OUT DID YOU?” “Yes quite I am the saviour of something or other and I have years of adventure ahead of me.” If he had a smile it would have faded. “UM NOT QUITE. YEARS OF AFVENTURE YES. PERHAPS. BUT THE OTHER THING NO.” Rincewinds heart shrank. “I don't suppose you have a beer or maybe a nice potatoe.” “NO AFRAID NOT. I AM SICK OF THIS FOLLY RINCEWIND IT MAY BE AGAINST THE RULES BUT WHAT ARE THEY GOING TO DO FIRE ME. EVERYONE BUT ME HAS GOTTEN INVOLVED AND NOW IT IS MY TURN. YOU WISH TO KNOW WHY I VISIT?” Rincewind nodded. “FROM THE TIME YOU ATTENDED UNSEEN UNIVERSITY SOMETHING CAUSED YOUR LIFE TIMER TO DISTORT. AND I MEAN DISTORT. AT FIRST I SHOWED UP TO TAKE YOU BUT AT THE LAST MOMENT A NEW TURN WOULD DEVELOP AND THE SAND WOULD GLOW AGAINST ALL THE LAWS OF NATURE YOUR LIFETIMER CONTINUES TO TICK. SO I BEGAN SHOWING UP TO FIND OUT WHY YOU DIDN'T DIE. WHAT MADE YOU SPECIAL.I SAW PATTERNS OF LUCK NOT POSSIBLE IN THE UNIVERSE. SOMEONE HAS TAKEN THE RANDOMNESS OUT OF YOUR LIFE. IT CREATED A UNSTABLE LUCK PROCESS. YOU HAVE A SORT OF SUPER LUCK THAT HAS BEEN DISTORTED BY PLUM PUDDING AND MOUSE DROPPINGS. I WILL FIND OUT MORE AND OF COURSE WILL BE IN TOUCH.” Rincewind looked at him. “I suppose sitting in a space capsule drifting away from discword will result in some sort of hideous adventure.” “MOST LIKELY IN ABOUT 2 MINUTES.” Death disapeared. Rincewind thought about the good times all 3 of them. In 2 minutes the capsule disolved around him and he found himself in a room for of shiny stuff and weird noises. “Welcome aboard the Enterprise. I am Captain Picard.” For the next 6 mnts Rincewind told Federation Scientists all he could about the disc and the use of magic. He explained Sapient Pearwood and other mysteries like a Dibbler Sausage. He was given a nice apartment and all the potaoes he could eat. Things were going so well he prepared himself for the worst. And it came. The BORG wiped out the Federation and most of Earth. Rincewind a second before the planet was destroyed and he was thrown into a time space voretx landing on the bridge of a bigger ship then the Enterprise. “We were expecting you. I am Captain Adama of the Galactica. Welcome aboutd.” And it went on through the destruction of universes. All in all it wasn't a bad life 6 or 8 mths of nice boredom telling stories followed by the detruction of whoever he was with. The Galactica fell to the Ur-Quan. Rincewind was picked up by a Arilou spacecraft where he was taken to Quasi Space. An unfortunate accident with a Elk Head and a Neoprene suit led to the destruction of Quasi Space leaving Rincewind adrift. “HAVING A FUN TIME ARE WE?” Rincewind shrugged. “Everything around me keeps getting destroyed.” “YES THAT IS THE SIDE AFFECT OF LUCK. EVERY ACTION ECT.. yOUR LUCK IS SO GOOD IT INTERFERES WITH THE RANDOMNESS OF THE UNIVERSE CAUSING NEGATIVE LUCK TO BUILD AROUND YOU.” Rincewind nodded. “RIGHT WELL I HAVE SOME NEWS FOR YOU.” Rincewind looked around. “Good news I hope.” “THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS GOOD NEWS OR BAD NEWS IT IS A PERCEPTION. WHEN ONE SPECIES DESTOYS ANOTHER GOOD NEWS FOR THE VICTOR BAD NEWS FOR THE VANQUISHED. I BELIEVE I HAVE FOUND YOUR PROBLEM. YOU HAVE MADE THE LADY VERY ANGRY. AS SHE IS THE MOST POWERFUL OF GODS YOU HAVE FEW ALLIES.” I FOUND OUT SOMETHING ELSE SHE IS BRINGING YOU TO THE GALACTIC CORE.” “ I don't suppose she will have milk and cookies.” DEATH looked around. “AS A LAST MEAL PERHAPS.” And he disapeared. The space capsule disolved and Rincewind found himself in a dark room on a comfortable bed. Comfortable beds do not come with iminent torure and death so he relaxed. They're was a beep of a bell and in walked a woman in tight leather. “Captain your needed on the Bridge.”
rincewind
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

For those wondering you can have all your questions about sapient pearwood or Rincewind.
http://wiki.lspace.org/wiki/Main_Page