Rags to Riches: A Pilgrim's Journey

Have a bit of Transcendence prose or poetry to share? Post it here!
matix
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

PROLOGUE: MY DREAMS

…”When the dream came, you knew Domina had chosen you. You would sacrifice everything for—“
Click. “Dad! Why’d you shut it off!? You know that’s my favorite 3DV!” the little boy whined.
“It’s a 3DV, son, nothing more. You’ve watched it more than enough times! It’s nothing but a show, a dream, OK?” his father answered “, you have better things to do than watch meaningless 3DVs. Now go study or something!”…

My name is Treven. Yep, that little boy was me. Back then, life was easy. I would sit at home all day watching my favorite shows, doing homework, and staring at the stars outside of my window. Yea, I would whine when I couldn’t watch my 3DVs, and maybe Dad was rough at times, but I’d never stop dreaming. I lived at the Commonwealth Residentials around Starton Eridani - IV, on the fifth level, in unit 224D. It had the perfect view of the galaxy. Wow… Looking back at my childhood, I’d consider it to be fantastic.

But then life turned for the worse. My Dad abandoned us, and my Mom gave birth to a really needy baby girl. I got a job working at the UN692 Mining Colony to keep food on the table. I would labor for hours every day to earn enough money for my family.

No matter how hard or boring my job was, I worked diligently. I even managed to make my work fun. In my mind, the endless asteroids were Centauri warlords, and I was the hero who was freeing the system of their tyranny! Yea, that made it a lot of fun… Until I got caught fooling around. Oh boy, when my boss called me into his office, I was scared shitless. He was a big man with a deep, rough voice and a reputation for his no-nonsense attitude.

“Treven, do you know why I called you into my office?” he asked.
“Yes, sir…” I mumbled.
“And you know what happens to workers who get caught @#$! around, right?”
“Yea, you fire ‘em…”
“Usually I would, but you’re different,” he said.
“Oh, really? How, sir?” I asked surprised.
“I saw you out there; you have the skills of a veteran pilot! I ain’t gonna fire you, boy! I have a new job for you!” he said, “take this ship, boy. I want you to use those skills you got! Your job is to protect our miners now. You start tomorrow! Got it?”

I had no idea what to say. I rushed to the hangar as soon as he dismissed me, and damn… A brand new Wolfen was resting there! Dual laser cannons, a NAMI missile launcher, light plasteel armor; it had everything!

I hopped into the cockpit, deactivated the magnetic skids, and flew it back home. I couldn’t wait to show it off! My Wolfen flew like a dream; the thrusters purred, the dual laser cannons spewed bright-red bolts, and the reactor hummed a soft tune. The whole ship sounded better than the concerts I saw in my 3DVs!

But as I neared home, another sound mixed into the melody: sirens. There were emergency vehicles crowded around the Residentials that I lived in! I worked my way into the crowded hangar and up to my unit where I found bloody corpses and even more emergency personnel everywhere. Fearing the worst, I pushed my way into my unit to find my baby sister and Mom dead… I fell to my knees, took Mom’s hand, and wept for what seemed like hours. I realized just then that there was writing on her wrist. “Follow your dreams,” was written in hasty, sloppy handwriting.

“I will, Mom, I will…”
RPC
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Location: Hmm... I'm confused. Anybody have a starmap to the Core?

+1
Great job, I'd love to see another installment!
Tutorial List on the Wiki and Installing Mods
Get on Discord for mod help and general chat
Der Tod ist der zeitlose Frieden und das leben ist der Krieg
Wir müssen wissen — wir werden wissen!
I don't want any sort of copyright on my Transcendence mods. Feel free to take/modify whatever you want.
Cirevam
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Wow, this is great so far. I want to read the next chapter already! :mrgreen:
alterecco
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

What a nice take on the pilgrim! Excellent!
Get your own Galactic Omni Device
Get it now. It's free!!
Cpt. Niceguy
Miner
Miner

Where's the next chapter man?
Is it done?
Come on,hurry up PLEASE!
OHGODOHGODOHGOD COME OOON!
Just kidding,but it's a GREAT start.

PLEASE KEEP GOING!
This signature is here solely for the purpose of you wasting time to actually read it.
matix
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

I've gotten behind on alot of stuff :\ I should have it up in a few weeks!
Matix's Revolutionary Repair Items! Get it here !
Stronger Centauri! Download it here
Matix's Weapon Pack!: Find it here!
Preview: Momentum Cannons! Get it here!

IRC (Love it! :D):
[10:54] * matix pokes Guest33555
[10:55] * matix thinks its dead....
[10:55] * Katami shoots Guest33555 in the foot
[10:55] <matix> O.o
[10:55] <Hatsya> don't worry, it's a water gun