The Journey to the Core.

Have a bit of Transcendence prose or poetry to share? Post it here!
sun1404
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I decided to write a story from a game in Transcendence. This game is heavily modded, and so the story might sometime refer to something not existing in vanilla game. It may become very long, and might not end in the Heretic system if I get bored with it later. I'll make sure to end it some way, though.

And well, I might add some events that may never happen in the game, or change some little details here and there, to improve the story and make it more realistic.

Lastly, my English is not perfect, especially my tenses and time-related grammar. If you find any typo or faulty parts of the story, I'll be grateful to hear about it. Thanks.
Last edited by sun1404 on Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yes, look at my avatar, I have a wyvera type ship.
sun1404
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

The Beginning.

It was 3.00. I woke up suddenly after a violent dream. All around was dark, I couldn't even see my fingers. My daughter and wife were still sleeping soundly, unaffected by my sudden movements. I left my bed, slowly and quietly, to get a cup of water. All the while thinking about that dream I just had.

I saw the galaxies, the universe, with my own eyes, unobstructed by windows or anything. I saw the stars born and died, planets lost to the great blast of a dying star, I saw the solar systems I have studied of, and more I never knew about. They flew past me. Or maybe I flew through them. But the important thing is, I remembered everything. All those many million stars and planets, I remembered them all. At least, I did before that dream ended. When I woke up, I felt two deep senses of loss. One was of my eyesight, which slowly came back so it didn't really matter. The second was of the infinite knowledge I had in the dream. This one did not come back.

I sat there, in my chair in the kitchen, for a long time, contemplating on that dream, until I almost fell asleep again. My face actually smacked into the cup, toppling it and sending the water inside on to my lap. Cold water fresh of the fridge.
There. Awake for a full day at least.

I heard the alarm clock sound from the bedroom above. My wife and daughter must be woken. I quickly went upstair and changed into casual clothes. Then I came down and join my family at breakfast. It was merry as usual. My daughter told us of her dreams, and my wife talked about happy plans she had for our kid and herself while I go to work.

I didn't speak of the dream.

My work was simple. Sit in my desk and sign off documents. Average money, enough to feed my family and leaving a bit for special needs. But that day even this simple work was hard and annoying. I was obsessed with the dream, and I signed in the wrong place many times that day. It was simply impossible to stop thinking about the stars, the galaxies, the vast knowledge I held. It was pulling me.

That evening, I went to the nearest Chapel of the Sisters of Domina. They're the popular religion presently. And my family belief in their ways. The Sisters live in separation, on their own station. That makes it rather hard for people of my status to do anything with them, be it praying or asking questions. Luckily I have a private spaceship, a stylish Sapphire. I inherited it from my father, who was quite a bit richer than me. The design's a bit obsolete, but it's better than most ships you can see flying around my home colony, the old Starton Eridani. The thing is, it has got a cannon too. A recoilless design from the famous Rasiermesser. The weapon's not much either, barely able to scratch a good shield, it's more of a trouble than anything else, because the local policeman is a bit conservative. He protests every time I launch my Sapphire, even though there's no law against arming your ship these days. Or maybe there actually is, but no one pay attention to that anymore.

Anyway, I shouldn't be bragging about my lovely ship. So I docked at the Sisters and went to consult them about my dream. They're quite open to anyone who manage to come to their sanctum.

The Sisters' answer is a little confusing, but the main part is, Domina was calling me. Calling me to the center of the universe. They advised me to go alone, to leave my family, for the path is dangerous and unforgiving. But how could I do that? How could I just leave my family and fly off? But I couldn't just ignore Domina, too. She has called many pilgrims, and many has departed for her. But if I take my family with me, they might get killed. And I won't ever forgive my self if my daughter die before me. Heh. Three-way trouble.

So, When I got home that day, my wife had prepared dinner, as usual. We ate happily, my daughter excitedly talking about her activities with Mom. No one asked what had I been doing. It was not unusual for me to take my ship and have a ride around Starton region. That dinner consisted of chicken soup and buttered breads. I remembered that well, for it was my last dinner with my family.

That night, after my daughter fell asleep, I told my wife about the dream and the Sisters' advise. She was silent for a long moment, and I thought she was going to cry. But she didn't. She always take things calmly, even when once we heard a news about a large attack from the Centauri. I could see that this latest news shocked her a lot, but she didn't showed any sadness or tried to stop me. After a long moment, she said, 'I know you must go. If Domina has really chosen you, then you can't defy her. If this night that dream comes again, you should leave for the center of the universe.'

And it came. The dream came again that very night. So I left.

I woke up at midnight that night, having slept for only about two hours. My wife was sleeping, hugging our dreaming daughter in her arms. I sat there only my bed thinking for the last time, should I really left? It took five minutes. Then I was downstair, writing a note explaining everything, for my daughter. I transferred most of my personal credits to the family account, leaving about 4,000 credits for survival. It was reckless I know, and not anywhere near enough. But I've done it, and I'm glad for that.

I left my home on 1:17. Walking to the docking bay, I thought about what will happen after I leave. How will my family live? Will I survive? Will I be able to come back? None of those questions could I answer, but still I trudged on until I reached my ship. It was as beautiful as ever, and as ready as it can be. The painting is a little old, true, but it's still very stylish and high-class. I walked in, the door opened smooth and silent. After checking the systems and equipments, I pulled it up and left the CW Residential Station. My home. My job. My old live.
Yes, look at my avatar, I have a wyvera type ship.
MikeAngora
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

:lol: Don't worry my friend. I'll take care of your family. I have lots of friends at the Commonwealth Station and I can probably get your wife a job there.
Since you're going to the core please give my kindest wishes to the Station Commander of St Katherine's. She's a great friend.

Cheers! :) :) :)
"Umm, I'm sorry I just killed your officer Akira, but he was getting on my nerves''
"Can I take his ship now?"

Calvin E. Taylor to Akira Gorbachev, the daughter of Ares Chief Admiral Vasily Gorbachev, after brutally killing one of her Tundra pilots.