Transcendence Crashes on Startup

Here you can get help resolving Transcendence-related issues.
levmeister
Anarchist
Anarchist

Okay, so I download version 1.01 and try to start it on vista, it starts perfectly fine. It works perfectly fine. I exit after starting a game, and try to get back. It crashes right after getting to the first screen, the loading screen. Every single time I've tried to open it since then it's done the same thing. i deleted and redownloaded it, tried version 1.05, added /windowed, /debug, /dx, /1024, and /nodx on both 1.01 and 1.05, started it as administrator, tried playing in XP compatibility (that caused a whole other problem, it never even started but I had to ctrl alt dlt to and go into processes to stop it, or it wouldn't start again and I couldn't delete the file). I have no mods, everything is working properly on my laptop (as far as I know) I don't know what could be going wrong... I have Nvidia gforce 8200, and I can play games like minecraft. If you need the rest of my specs, tell me how to find them? Thanks a ton, this looks like an amazing game and I can't wait to play it!

Edit: Okay, more info, this is what the debug looks like right now. This is after deleting and redownloading a ton of times, so this isn't all of the times I've opened it

--
06/11/2011 23:05:51 Start logging session
06/11/2011 23:05:51 Transcendence 1.01
06/11/2011 23:06:17 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
06/11/2011 23:06:17 Start logging session
06/11/2011 23:06:17 Transcendence 1.01
06/11/2011 23:08:15 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
06/11/2011 23:08:15 Start logging session
06/11/2011 23:08:15 Transcendence 1.01
06/12/2011 10:19:54 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
06/12/2011 10:19:54 Start logging session
06/12/2011 10:19:54 Transcendence 1.01
06/12/2011 10:20:28 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
06/12/2011 10:20:28 Start logging session
06/12/2011 10:20:28 Transcendence 1.01
06/12/2011 10:44:41 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
06/12/2011 10:44:41 Start logging session
06/12/2011 10:44:41 Transcendence 1.01
alterecco
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Could you try 1.05... there is a link in the announcements forum.

Do you have any mods installed?
levmeister
Anarchist
Anarchist

No, as I said above, there are no mods installed and I have tried 1.05 already.
sdw195
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

is the folder marked as read only? (right click- properties) (make sure the read only check box is empty (no green square or tick))

edit,

form another topic, it might be useful for george to have the DirectX info
george moromisato wrote:It might help to get some info on DirectX:

1. Click the Windows button on the lower-left of the screen.
2. Type "dxdiag" and press Enter.
3. Click the "Save all information" button and save to a file.
4. Upload the file somewhere so we can see it.

Not sure if that will help, but it's worth to try.

Thanks for debugging this!
paste it here
"Dash_Merc - George is a genius, in that he created this game engine that is infinitely extendable"
"<@sheepluva>Good night everybody, may the source be with you." <-- FOSG dev
"You only need THREE tools in life - WD-40 to make things go, Duct Tape to make things stop And C-4 to make things go away"
levmeister
Anarchist
Anarchist

sdw195 wrote:is the folder marked as read only? (right click- properties) (make sure the read only check box is empty (no green square or tick))
Yes, it has a blue square, and oddly enough no matter how many times I try to change it, it throws up "You have chosen to make the following attribute changes
unset read-only
Do you want to apply this change to this folder only, or do you want to apply it to all subfolders and files as well?"
it gives a greyed out option for just the folder and olny allows you to apply the changes to the folder, subfolder and files. But, when I do that and press ok, then reopen the properties, the blue square is back.
Also, I uploaded the dxdiag. Thanks for helping!
sdw195
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

next time could you please link to the paste ;)

anyway, here it is
"Dash_Merc - George is a genius, in that he created this game engine that is infinitely extendable"
"You only need THREE tools in life - WD-40 to make things go, Duct Tape to make things stop And C-4 to make things go away"
levmeister
Anarchist
Anarchist

oh, my bad! Yeah, right here
Edit: oh, you already linked to it. My bad... I'm a little frazzled.
levmeister
Anarchist
Anarchist

Okay, now I tried version 1.03 just for kicks. Exact same problem. It must have something to do with that read-only box, huh?
digdug
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

levmeister wrote:Okay, now I tried version 1.03 just for kicks. Exact same problem. It must have something to do with that read-only box, huh?
I don't think so, read only folder attribute is not the same as read only files in the folder.
If you say that the game runs on your laptop, then there is something going wrong with your pc.

- May I suggest trying to close down all the possible background applications, eventually try to run the game in Windows safe mode ? (if it runs, then there is a software conflict of some kind)

- Unplug all the unnecessary USB devices, (scanners, microphones, speakers, everything), sometimes they have awkward drivers, causing problems? (just as an example, my USB microsoft mouse is conflicting and not working when i plug in my USB Logitech keyboard :P )

- If you say that minecraft runs, then it seems that your graphics card drivers are ok, but Transcendence is not a 3D game, so the problem is different. If you are running a Vista computer that has been upgraded from XP, please reinstall the NVIDIA drivers.
Problem here is Vista doesn't render GDI surfaces the way it used to under XP. Vista now renders everything in DirectX9 and GDI stuff goes through a wrapper.

What you might want to do is try changing the theme to windows classic and then playing the game. This will disable DirectX9 rendering of normal windows and will cause the old style GDI rendering to re-appear.
levmeister
Anarchist
Anarchist

I don't have anything plugged into the USB, and my computer has always had vista. Also, I saw in another thread that the read only box can actually cause problems, as it doesn't allow it to load a save? (or something like that, it's here). I'll try changing the theme first, then going to windows safe mode, and I'll get back to you on how that worked. Thanks!

Edit: okay, I started it in safe mode and it worked. Then I went back to normal mode and started it and... It worked. Then I exited and tried to start it again, and it won't work anymore. Huh? So, I tried turning off absolutely everything in the processes part of windows task manager, it still refused to work. The only things I couldn't turn off were; csrss.exe, winlogin.exe, and nvvsvc.exe. Every time I turn off wuauclt.exe, dwm.exe and taskeng.exe they pop back up again in a little bit. What can I do?
Amariithynar
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

-.- If you have the read only folder attribute checked, uncheck it while under the admin account. I dunno what he's thinking telling you to ignore it. A folder read only property applies the read only property to all files contained, and Vista is stupid in that it loves to make you work your ass off to do stuff if you aren't the admin.
levmeister
Anarchist
Anarchist

Amariithynar wrote:-.- If you have the read only folder attribute checked, uncheck it while under the admin account. I dunno what he's thinking telling you to ignore it. A folder read only property applies the read only property to all files contained, and Vista is stupid in that it loves to make you work your ass off to do stuff if you aren't the admin.
But I am the admin...
levmeister
Anarchist
Anarchist

Okay, update, I've been playing it for a coupe of hours now. Apparently, whenever I log off and log back on I get to open it once. If I exit, I can't open it again until I log off and on again. Any ideas why this might be?
levmeister
Anarchist
Anarchist

Well, it's definitely playable with no problems. It's a bit of a pain to start it up what with the having to log off and back on again, but it works. However, ingame I have a problem, my yoroi s100 shield generator unequips itself as soon as I equip it. Where should I post that as a question? Or could you just answer it here if you know why it's doing that/ how to fix it off the top of your head. Thanks for everything! Awesome game
sdw195
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

check you armor, might have some dust on it that interferes with shields :)