game is running slowly

Here you can get help resolving Transcendence-related issues.
Deik
Anarchist
Anarchist

Hello there,

I'd like to ask somebody to help me with my problem.
I'm playing Transcendence for a year or so,but now it's for the first
time I have trouble running it correctly.After reinstalling Windows XP
on my computer,everytime I launch the game it works slowly
and not smoothly (runs picture after picture).Before,everything worked fine though my machine is a veteran.I downloaded all the driver-
and platform upgrades and also upgraded DirectX,but here it ends
and I have no idea what to do next :?
I experience this with other games too,so it might be some bad system
configuration or what.
I hope to find someone who can tell me how to fix it.THANKS IN DVANCE!
digdug
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Hi Deik,
if you are experiencing this problem with other games, then it's probably not Transcendence related.
In any case, did you try some command line switches to see if the game works faster ?
http://wiki.neurohack.com/transcendence ... e_switches

I don't know your level of IT knowledge, so some of these may sound silly:
- Did you reinstall your graphics card drivers ? Most games will run very slowly if you don't do it, even if Windows XP seems to run ok.
- Check for viruses, do a whole system scan with a free antivirus, personally I like AVG free edition.
- Check for malwares: download the freeware Malwarebytes antimalware or spybot search and destroy (or both!) and run a full scan with them.
- open the windows task manager and check if you have a process that is going crazy, eating away RAM and/or CPU cycles. could even be a windows process, it happens sometimes. If so, mark down the name of the file/process and google it to search for solutions.

If you just reinstalledwindows XP on a laptop from a laptop vendor CD, be aware that those CDs usually installs tons of "bloatware", running in background on your laptop and eating resources for nothing.
shanejfilomena
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

here is a extra tip to others from someone that started out with Dino and now upgraded to Platypuses :)

Game Boost: freeware : easy and sweet. helps saves power ( Note : dim your display when not in games, that helps save too )
http://download.cnet.com/Game-Booster/3 ... 13645.html

also computer video cards or corrupted drivers are the #1 cause of bad games and eventual crashes: go to your manufacturer website and update the drivers: if your video card is outdated ( you have frame count issues with a game, esp. this one ) you might want to jump over to a store to grab another or order a new one from the manufacturer .

antivirus issues are a pain but i use AVG now :) so i can vouch for it working well with my game :) : the free version and the paid are both good : most antivirus only stop 40% of threats : there are only 3% of actual dangerous threats on the internet .
your chances of getting one of that 3%...well, try 0 unless your computer is on a DARPA net . :)
Flying Irresponsibly In Eridani......

I don't like to kill pirates in cold blood ..I do it.. but I don't like it..
Deik
Anarchist
Anarchist

also computer video cards or corrupted drivers are the #1 cause of bad games and eventual crashes: go to your manufacturer website and update the drivers: if your video card is outdated ( you have frame count issues with a game, esp. this one ) you might want to jump over to a store to grab another or order a new one from the manufacturer .
After checking again the driver upgrade for my graphics card it came out,
that it's no longer supported.I had this sort of trouble with computer
graphics years before,but now I was not sure if that was the same problem.
To install a new card is probably the best solution,so Santa is gonna get an
urgent message from me... :)
digdug
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

what is the video card ?
we may help to find you some custom drivers or the latests driver version that supports your card.
Deik
Anarchist
Anarchist

I have an ATI Radeon 9000 on my desktop computer,just what is
to be expected on a veteran PC.I've never had problems working
and playing games on it (including Transcendence) until now - except once years ago it gave the same slow picture counting game performance.
The joke is I don't remember the way I fixed this,which is quite frustrating.
I tried again searching for some driver update on AMD's support page and
after typing my card type I downloaded an application called Catalyst
containing a driver upgrade.Installing this,I restarted the computer and
launched Transcendence,but there was no improvement.It must be some
easy-to-do hardware setup change to handle this,since I didn't buy any new components for my computer.
digdug
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

This is ATI catalyst 6.11 from dec 2006, supporting the radeon 9000. If you downloaded the latest catalyst from ATI, they don't include anymore the radeon 9000 in their package.
http://www.nodevice.com/driver/Radeon_9 ... 34923.html
Deik
Anarchist
Anarchist

I already installed the 6.11 yesterday with no change in game behavior.
I suppose the update is active after restart?