1.3 will not start

Here you can get help resolving Transcendence-related issues.
IceMephit
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Hi everybody, it has been almost 4 years since I had the internet and I see that there are new versions. The last one I downloaded was 1.06a, which I had no problems with. I just tried 1.3, and it will not load. I click on the .exe and absolutely nothing happens. 1.06a loads just fine and it works. any suggestions? I am running XP.
For Sale: One slightly used EI500 freighter. Hull damaged, primary weapon defective, shields inoperable. Must be towed to Dry-dock. Make an offer!!
TVR
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

Transcendence started requiring SP3 on XP a few versions ago, try updating to SP3 and see if there problem remains.
Fiction is reality, simplified for mass consumption.
PGP: 0x940707ED, 5DB8 4CB4 1EF5 E987 18A0 CD99 3554 3C13 9407 07ED
Bitcoin: 1LLDr7pnZDjXVT5mMDrkqRKkAPByPCQiXQ
Aeon Blaze
Miner
Miner

I am running XP SP2. And Transcendence works just fine for me.
IceMephit
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

I have SP3 already. No version above 1.06 will run at all. :(
For Sale: One slightly used EI500 freighter. Hull damaged, primary weapon defective, shields inoperable. Must be towed to Dry-dock. Make an offer!!
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

IceMephit wrote:I have SP3 already. No version above 1.06 will run at all. :(
A few things to try:

1. Does Debug.log have anything interesting in it? Please post it if it does.
2. Are you running it from Program Files? If so, try running out of a different folder (there might be a bug).
3. Do you have admin rights on the machine?
IceMephit
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

A few things to try:

1. Does Debug.log have anything interesting in it? Please post it if it does.
2. Are you running it from Program Files? If so, try running out of a different folder (there might be a bug).
3. Do you have admin rights on the machine?[/quote]

1. No debug.log is being generated.
2. No, I am running the .exe directly from the folder I installed it.
3. Yes i do.

I have been successful in running 1.08, but not successful in running 1.1, 1.2 or 1.3
Keedo420
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

I am having the same problem it seems. I'm running Windows XP with SP3, and I'm currently running Transcendence 1.08fa (which still runs fine). I've tried running both 1.1 and 1.3, and both give me the same generic windows error message "Transcendence has encountered and unexpected problem...". I'm currently running it from the "Program Files/Transcendence" folder. I'll try moving it out of Program Files tonight (I don't have internet connection at home, so can't try it right now) and report back tomorrow.
IceMephit
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Keedo420 wrote:I am having the same problem it seems. I'm running Windows XP with SP3, and I'm currently running Transcendence 1.08fa (which still runs fine). I've tried running both 1.1 and 1.3, and both give me the same generic windows error message "Transcendence has encountered and unexpected problem...". I'm currently running it from the "Program Files/Transcendence" folder. I'll try moving it out of Program Files tonight (I don't have internet connection at home, so can't try it right now) and report back tomorrow.
I do not even get a message, I click on the .exe and nothing at all happens. I have all mine in their own folder
C:\Transcendence (version 1.06)
C:\Transcendence2 (version 1.08x)
C:\Transcendence3 (version 1.1)
C:\Transcendence4 (version 1.3)

I hope we can get this resolved, I am DYING to try the latest version (as always) :)
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

FYI: I tried it on a clean installation of Windows XP and it worked fine, so we should be able to get it to work.

A few more questions:

1. Is there anything special about your networking? E.g., is it dial-up or something?
2. Is there anything else unusual about your system? Have you manually uninstalled any Windows components (like IE)?
3. What edition of XP do you have? Home? Professional?

Thank you for helping debug this.
IceMephit
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

george moromisato wrote:FYI: I tried it on a clean installation of Windows XP and it worked fine, so we should be able to get it to work.

A few more questions:

1. Is there anything special about your networking? E.g., is it dial-up or something?
2. Is there anything else unusual about your system? Have you manually uninstalled any Windows components (like IE)?
3. What edition of XP do you have? Home? Professional?

Thank you for helping debug this.
1. No, I have DSL, nothing unusual about it as far as I know.
2. I haven't uninstalled any windows components, although I do not use IE, I use Firefox and Comodo Icedragon(which is my default browser).
3. I have home edition SP3.

You are welcome, I enjoy assisting!!!
Were there any major changes between 1.08 and 1.1?
I just find it strange that when I click on the .exe, nothing at all happens. No error message.
I will look at my background programs and try to figure out if any of them might be the cause.
IceMephit
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

I went to the archives and downloaded several different versions:
1.08,B,C,D,E, and L: They all worked fine.
1.10: Worked just fine.
1.20 Alpha 1: worked just fine.
1.20 Beta 3,4: Neither of them would run.
I did stop a few background programs, but I don't think that had anything to do with this problem. But, I have narrowed down this issue to a change between 1.20 Alpha 1 and the Beta releases.
I hope this helps! :D
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

IceMephit wrote:I went to the archives and downloaded several different versions:
1.08,B,C,D,E, and L: They all worked fine.
1.10: Worked just fine.
1.20 Alpha 1: worked just fine.
1.20 Beta 3,4: Neither of them would run.
I did stop a few background programs, but I don't think that had anything to do with this problem. But, I have narrowed down this issue to a change between 1.20 Alpha 1 and the Beta releases.
I hope this helps! :D
Very helpful. Thank you. I'll try to figure out what got added to the 1.2 Betas to narrow it down. Thanks for testing that.
IceMephit
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

You're welcome. I hope you can fix it :). I noticed with 1.02 beta and 1.03 that clicking the .exe puts the transcendence.exe in the "processes" section of window task manager for less than one second and then it disappears , but not in the "applications" section. I hope this helps.
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

Here is 1.2 Beta 1: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9qpgwjkssgenl ... Beta01.zip

Would you try that and see if it works? If not, then likely the problem got introduced in 1.2 Beta 1. Otherwise, it was one of the later betas.

Also, could you try running with a few the following command-line switches:

/nodx
/debugVideo

Thanks!
IceMephit
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

george moromisato wrote: Also, could you try running with a few the following command-line switches:

/nodx
/debugVideo

Thanks!
No luck with the command line switches. Still nothing starts. Also 1.2 Beta 1 did not run, even with adding the command-line switches.
Anything else I could try?
Thanx.