Transcendence 1.5 won't run

Here you can get help resolving Transcendence-related issues.
Siddhant
Anarchist
Anarchist

Transcendence 1.5 wont run in Windows 7, 32 bit. I had no problems running Transcendence 1.0 in a lower-end laptop. The loading screen shows up, and then it quits. Is this due to the folder being read-only? If yes, is there a workaround?

Thank you in advance
digdug
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Hi Siddhant,
welcome to the forums. :)

create a shortcut of Transcendence.exe
right-click and do Properties.
In the "Target" box after transcendence.exe add this:
-debug -debugvideo

run the game by doubleclicking the shortcut.

can you please copy/paste here your debug.log file that has been created?

Also, a couple of things to try :
- Try to run the game from a read/write enabled folder, such as inside Documents.
- Try to disable the antivirus/firewall then run the game, some people reported problems with that.
KaoS
Miner
Miner

Might be unrelated, but I noticed on a fresh install of vista that the beta refused to run. Apparently vista noticed that I had extracted the exe at work and then just copied it from my external, therefor it "belonged" to a different pc. Now that I think about it more, I'm pretty sure it's not related at all because you said it started to run whereas mine never executed at all. Oh well, I'm gonna post this anyway in case anyone else has the same issue and looks here. I'll have to look up the resolution and post it later since I don't know what triggered the thing that asked me if I want to allow it right now...
Siddhant
Anarchist
Anarchist

This is how the debug file looks like.

06/02/2015 11:35:43 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
06/02/2015 11:35:43 Start logging session
06/02/2015 11:35:44 Transcendence 1.5
06/02/2015 11:36:48 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
06/02/2015 11:36:48 Start logging session
06/02/2015 11:36:48 Transcendence 1.5
06/02/2015 11:36:48 Small typeface: Tahoma
06/02/2015 11:36:48 Medium typeface: Tahoma
06/02/2015 11:36:48 Large typeface: Convection
06/02/2015 11:36:48 Console typeface: Lucida Console

I added the transcendence.exe to the firewall and avast exclusion list, still no luck :(
Shaman
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

KaoS wrote:Might be unrelated, but I noticed on a fresh install of vista that the beta refused to run. Apparently vista noticed that I had extracted the exe at work and then just copied it from my external, therefor it "belonged" to a different pc. Now that I think about it more, I'm pretty sure it's not related at all because you said it started to run whereas mine never executed at all. Oh well, I'm gonna post this anyway in case anyone else has the same issue and looks here. I'll have to look up the resolution and post it later since I don't know what triggered the thing that asked me if I want to allow it right now...
I checked that and it doesn't have anything to do with it. I deleted the permission for me and Transcendence still worked.
A missing permission does cause problems with modding, but normal gameplay seems to be fine.
Also read-only for the folder seems to be normal.

Siddhant, try deactivating avast, firewall, etc. Sometimes these programs interfere with games without telling you, even if the games are excluded. Didn't Avast caused problems to Transcendence? Not sure.
digdug
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Avast was reported twice before to give some troubles to Transcendence for some unknown reason.
Try disabling file protection and web shield.
Siddhant
Anarchist
Anarchist

I disabled Avast and the Firewall. Although the game didn't show any luck, I was greeted by a BSoD just after the game exited. Nottrying that in the future :P

Also, I don't think that Avast and Firewall might be the issue, coz i played Trans 1.0 with both Avast and Firewall on
StealthX051
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Might sound stupid, but try a fresh download.
RPC
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Location: Hmm... I'm confused. Anybody have a starmap to the Core?

Read only was an issue when I had an old laptop. Can you recopy the game files somewhere else and uncheck read-only then run the game?
Tutorial List on the Wiki and Installing Mods
Get on Discord for mod help and general chat
Der Tod ist der zeitlose Frieden und das leben ist der Krieg
Wir müssen wissen — wir werden wissen!
I don't want any sort of copyright on my Transcendence mods. Feel free to take/modify whatever you want.
Siddhant
Anarchist
Anarchist

Tried both methods... have downloaded more than a hundred times.
Also tried copying the game files to a new folder, but as I found from the Windows forums, the read-only attribute of a folder cannot be unchecked in NTFS partitions. Then I formatted my pen-drive to FAT32 and copied the game folder there, but still wasn't able to uncheck the read-only attribute.

Where can i find the download link for version 1.0? Might try downloading and seeing if it runs
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

Siddhant wrote:Tried both methods... have downloaded more than a hundred times.
Also tried copying the game files to a new folder, but as I found from the Windows forums, the read-only attribute of a folder cannot be unchecked in NTFS partitions. Then I formatted my pen-drive to FAT32 and copied the game folder there, but still wasn't able to uncheck the read-only attribute.

Where can i find the download link for version 1.0? Might try downloading and seeing if it runs
It's strange. If the logfile got written then the problem isn't that the folder is read-only. Did any folders get created in the folder?

Try disabling the music: In Settings.xml, find the option for noMusic and set its value to "true".

The only other thing I can think of is to disable the Multiverse: edit Settings.xml and at the bottom of the file, in the <Hexarc> section, make sure it reads enabled="false".

Let us know what happens!

EDIT: p.s.: You should also try the latest version (1.6 Beta 4: http://kronosaur.com/downloads/TranscendenceNext.zip)
Siddhant
Anarchist
Anarchist

Yeah, an empty folder by the name "Games" is created when I unsuccessfully try to run the game for the first time. Also, I remember that another empty folder "Collections" used to get created during my previous attempts, but for some reason, not anymore.

Also, I can't find the settings.xml file. The last time it got created was when I tried some random thing (don't remember what) during my previous attempt. How do I create it? Or can someone just mail me the file?
Shaman
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Try looking in folder C:\User\"Your user"\AppData\Roaming\Kronosaur\Transcendence\

Note: AppData is only visible if you enable showing hidden files and folders
how to do it is explained here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutoria ... windows-7/

Sometimes, but it seems not for everyone, files and folders of Transcendence do not create in the main folder, but instead there. I heard different things about this.
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

Shaman wrote:Try looking in folder C:\User\"Your user"\AppData\Roaming\Kronosaur\Transcendence\

Note: AppData is only visible if you enable showing hidden files and folders
how to do it is explained here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutoria ... windows-7/

Sometimes, but it seems not for everyone, files and folders of Transcendence do not create in the main folder, but instead there. I heard different things about this.
That's right--the game uses AppData if for some reason it can't create files in its own folder. It's strange that some things can be created but not others.
Siddhant
Anarchist
Anarchist

I finally managed to make it run. I just renamed the transcendenceintro.mp3 file. I checked the settings for the music path, and it was blank. Even after entering the correct path there's no music, but I can live without it.

Also, the cache, settings, and collections folders and files have been created in the game folder after the game managed to run.

Thanks a ton guys! :)