Bad internet connectivity, the Multiverse == delay.

Found a bug in the game? Post it in one of the applicable sub forums depending on the version you are using. Tech support is also available in the Tech Support subforum.
pixelfck
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Hi,

If my computer is 'connected' to the internet, but the connection does not actually work (due to various reasons) getting the game to show the list of saved games takes a lot longer than normal.
My assumption is that somehow the non-functioning communication with the multiverse is blocking for the 'show list of saved games' action.

I got the impression that the same is true for starting a new game, but I did not do extensive testing to confirm this.

Cheers,
Pixelfck

N.B. To test this while blessed with a proper internet connection, set up a firewall rule to block traffic from the web to the client, but don't block the outgoing traffic.
Download the Black Market Expansion from Xelerus.de today!
My other mods at xelerus.de
sun1404
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Should be because the game is checking whether you are logged in, and as who, so it can know if you have any registered save to load.

Starting a new game should also need checking your log-in status so the game may decide whether to make the new save registered or not.
Yes, look at my avatar, I have a wyvera type ship.
pixelfck
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Checking should not block the applications other tasks. As it is, it completely locks up the application, which is a bug.
(Neither when I'm not connected nor when I have a working internet connection does the lockup happen)

~Pixelfck
Download the Black Market Expansion from Xelerus.de today!
My other mods at xelerus.de
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I cannot load a game if my firewall is on lockdown. I always set firewall on lockdown when I do not use the Internet.

Transcendence should not attempt to connect to Multiverse if the game says I am "Offline" and not logged into my Multiverse account.
Download and Play in 1.9 beta 1...
Drake Technologies (Alpha): More hardware for combat in parts 1 and 2!
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!
Playership Drones: Buy or restore exotic ships to command!

Other playable mods from 1.8 and 1.7, waiting to be updated...
Godmode v3 (WIP): Dev/cheat tool compatible with D&O parts 1 or 2.
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

PM wrote:I cannot load a game if my firewall is on lockdown. I always set firewall on lockdown when I do not use the Internet.

Transcendence should not attempt to connect to Multiverse if the game says I am "Offline" and not logged into my Multiverse account.
I need to figure out a way to detect that case. Right now the game relies on WinSock to return an appropriate error. I believe firewalls just never reply, which means we're relying on the time-out (up to 30 seconds) to tell that there is no connection.

EDIT: I should also look into not waiting until a connection is established to show the list of saved games (or create a new game).