HELP: Error "line 15: Mismatched open parenthesis"

Found a bug in the game? Post it in one of the applicable sub forums depending on the version you are using. Tech support is also available in the Tech Support subforum.
frimar21
Anarchist
Anarchist

I have downloaded the 1.3 version, and while copying all the saved game and extensions from the 1.2 I have probably deleted or modified a mod... in fact, when I start the game everything works fine, but as soon as I try to loot a vessel I got the error in subject, and there is no way to collect any good. This does not happens when I loot an enemy destroyed station, only for the ships!

I have also tried to get back to the 1.2 version, and I get a different error "error 45 (missing mod?)", this is why I suppose it is due to a mod... even if I don't understand why the error I get is different.

the worst point is that I have a limited debug file, since moving from the 1.2 to the 1.3 version I have deleted the old one, so I don't have the full list of MOD I was using with the 1.2 version, and I cannot recreate the same situation.
Actually, I'm trying to download multiple mods, looking for what seems "familiar" to discover the right one, but I would like to know if there is a way to solve this issue"

George Moromisato has already received the debug file, and from his point of view he cannot do anything.
I can provide also the old saved game file, I don't know if inside this file are listed the active mods...

Thanks for any suggestion you could provide!
Marco
Attachments
screenshot of the error
screenshot of the error
line15 error.jpg (22.66 KiB) Viewed 7746 times
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

If you play with an older version of Playership Drones, it referenced an old deprecated dockscreen that broke in 1.3, when the player tried to loot one of his drones. I have re-uploaded Playership Drones a few days ago to fix that error.

If that is not the case, you need to provide more details such as the full list of mods you loaded and the action you did that triggered the error. (e.g., I press [L] to loot but got an error message instead.)
Download and Play in 1.9 beta 1...
Drake Technologies (Alpha): More hardware for combat in parts 1 and 2!
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!
Playership Drones: Buy or restore exotic ships to command!

Other playable mods from 1.8 and 1.7, waiting to be updated...
Godmode v3 (WIP): Dev/cheat tool compatible with D&O parts 1 or 2.
frimar21
Anarchist
Anarchist

Thnaks, but I'm not using this mod (well, not tried yet :wink: )

Actually, the list is quite short, you can see it in the attached jpeg
the action I did that triggered the error is the one you have describe, I press [L] to loot but I get that error message, as you can see from the jpeg I have attached to the OP.

this does not happens when I dock to an enemy base I have destroyed, where I can loot the items without any problem.
It happens ONLY with enemy ships.
Attachments
mods.jpg
mods.jpg (140.95 KiB) Viewed 7736 times
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Some mod is probably calling a deprecated dockscreen, &dsLoot; (which should be &dsRPGLoot; in 1.3). I do not know which mod(s) among your list has this problem.
Download and Play in 1.9 beta 1...
Drake Technologies (Alpha): More hardware for combat in parts 1 and 2!
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!
Playership Drones: Buy or restore exotic ships to command!

Other playable mods from 1.8 and 1.7, waiting to be updated...
Godmode v3 (WIP): Dev/cheat tool compatible with D&O parts 1 or 2.
RPC
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Location: Hmm... I'm confused. Anybody have a starmap to the Core?

Have you tried starting a new game with your current modlist? Did that change anything?
Unfortunately saves are not guaranteed to work between versions.

If you have a text editor you can look for "dsLoot" in files to see if any of the mods override the looting function. If not, you can zip and attach it here or pm me so I/other people can look at the modlist.

Worst case scenario you can just start a new game with the mods and everything works fine.
Tutorial List on the Wiki and Installing Mods
Get on Discord for mod help and general chat
Der Tod ist der zeitlose Frieden und das leben ist der Krieg
Wir müssen wissen — wir werden wissen!
I don't want any sort of copyright on my Transcendence mods. Feel free to take/modify whatever you want.
frimar21
Anarchist
Anarchist

Thanks again for the support :lol:

I went trough all the mod, looking for the "dsLoot" function, and I found some of them, but always related to stations.
But one seems to do exactly what you told me to look for, in fact it says:
"<!-- Replacement Dock Screen for when docked with a wreck. ======= -->
<!-- Allows you to scuttle the ship upon leaving. ================ -->"

I don't know if this could be the issue, and at this point how to solve it playng with my saved game, since this one is included in the Falcon Mod. I have attached the zipped XML file.

the fact is that now, if I replace the 1.3 version with the 1.2 version of the game, I got the "error 45 (missing mod?)".
This could be due to something different and not related to this error (I mean, the line15... error is related to the 1.3 version of the game, while with the 1.2 the mod works fine, and there is a different mod I have deleted that give the error 45... but this is a different story :wink: )
Attachments
TIWeapons.zip
(2.06 KiB) Downloaded 211 times
frimar21
Anarchist
Anarchist

YES, it is exactly that mod... now, since I'm playing with this ship, if I remove the lines from the XML file I can play... BUT, it was an awesome addition the ability to destroy the wreck of a ship, have you an idea on how to modify these lines?
here tey are for your commodity:

<!-- Replacement Dock Screen for when docked with a wreck. ======= -->
<!-- Allows you to scuttle the ship upon leaving. ================ -->

<DockScreen UNID="&dsAbandonedShip;"
name= "=(objGetName gSource)"
>

<Panes>
<Default
desc= "You are docked with the wreck of a ship.">

<Actions>
<Action name="Loot" key="L" default="1" >
(block Nil
(setq gPrevScreen "&dsAbandonedShip;")
(scrShowScreen gScreen "&dsLoot;")
)
</Action>

<Action name="Jettison" key="J">
(block Nil
(setq gPrevScreen "&dsAbandonedShip;")
(scrShowScreen gScreen "&dsJettison;")
)
</Action>

<Action name="Scuttle the wreck as you leave." key="S">
(objDestroy gSource gPlayerShip)
</Action>

<Action name="Undock" cancel="1" key="U">
<Exit/>
</Action>

</Actions>

</Default>
</Panes>

</DockScreen>
RPC
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

So apparently in 1.3 there is dsAbandonedShip now.
Try adding this override to one of the mods. (just copy-paste, you don't have to do anything else) It should add the scuttle option to wrecks.
<DockScreen UNID="&dsAbandonedShip;">
<Panes>
<Default
desc= "You are docked with the wreck of a ship.">

<Actions>
<Action name="Loot" key="L" default="1" >
(scrShowScreen gScreen &dsRPGLoot;)
</Action>

<Action name="Jettison" key="J">
(scrShowScreen gScreen &dsRPGJettison;)
</Action>

<Action name="Scuttle the wreck as you leave." key="S">
(objDestroy gSource gPlayerShip)
</Action>

<Action name="Undock" cancel="1" key="U">
<Exit/>
</Action>
</Actions>
</Default>
</Panes>
</DockScreen>
I don't want any sort of copyright on my Transcendence mods. Feel free to take/modify whatever you want.
frimar21
Anarchist
Anarchist

THANKS!!!

I have replaced the text in the xml file with this new one, and it works!
guess if is it the case to inform the author of the original FalconCV mod to update the original file according to your instruction.

The game works and I can scuttle the wrecks again ;-)
RPC
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Sure, np ;)

I'll inform PK on IRC and on Xelerus.
*EDIT: I forgot PKodon took the mod down because of copyright concerns, but he is still reachable through IRC. He is currently working on a new model and I will make sure the fix will get to him before he releases the mod on Xelerus.
PKodon
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant
Location: "Minocs. I've got a baaad feeling about this.... This is no cave!"

The mismatched open parenthesis problem is because a call to a dock screen was changed since the mod was made. A different call is necessary, um, I need to look it up. Anyway, I'm working on both a new ship and an updated version of the FalconCV (which will not be distributed on Xelerus, but I can give you a link to it when it's finished, on IRC). There are 3 files in the mod that have the same (no longer usable) dock screen call, so all three need to be replaced.

I've been gradually working on updating the code to update it, both for the FalconCV and for the new ship that's replacing it.

I'm still digging around to find out what all has changed, and modernize the whole mod.

Be patient.

Thanks,

PK
"Don't ask ..., I don't wanna know, and I don't wanna care!" - PK
Meet us on IRC --> Image
"... the hornet battlepod is the closest we have ingame to flying into battle in a wheelbarrow
with a bathtub nailed upside down to the top of it to provide armor."
- The Shrike
frimar21
Anarchist
Anarchist

RPC has provided the solution, just a couple of post upstairs.
I have replaced the text into your original XML file (TIWeapons), and it works fine!
Sorry to ear that there will be no more an official "Falcon" due to (c) problems, it is an awesome ship...
It's the ship that made the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs!

;-)