Gates and topology and the galactic map.

Found a bug in the game? Post it in one of the applicable sub forums depending on the version you are using. Tech support is also available in the Tech Support subforum.
AssumedPseudonym
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

I shouldn’t still be awake at 6:30am, let alone writing bug reports, and especially not on topology considering that I’m still in the process of figuring it all out. Forgive me if this comes out as somewhat less than coherent.
 The thing with the galactic map how, if you’re in System A, finding a stargate to System B reveals System B on the map? That works. If you’re still in System A and find a gate to System C, it will show that link, too. If, however, System B and System C have gates between each other, it will show their link on the galactic map even if you haven’t been into either system to find the gates between them.

Mod prefixes: 0xA010 (registered) and 0xDCC8 (miscellaneous)

My mods on Xelerus: Click here!

Of all the things I’ve lost in life, I miss my mind the least. (I’m having a lot more fun without it!)
pixelfck
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I too would love to see this behaviour changed.

I usually first map out a system and then decide where to go next. When there are just two gates, this is not a problem. However, when there are more than two, it get's harder and harder to keep track of which systems you visited and which you merely identified a gate towards.

The fact that identifying a star gate towards a new, unvisited, star system automatically makes the galactic map draw all connections towards all other 'known' (= either you identified the star gate, or you actually visited the system) star systems only makes it harder to keep track of things.

So, I think two changes would be needed:
1. upon identifying a star gate, the galactic map could draw a dashed line towards the star gate's destination system. So, a connection between star systems should only be drawn when the connection is found by the player, not if the player merely enters a system.
2. the galactic map should differentiate between visited star systems and star systems which are merely known.

cheers,
Pixelfck
Download the Black Market Expansion from Xelerus.de today!
My other mods at xelerus.de
digdug
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

2. the galactic map should differentiate between visited star systems and star systems which are merely known.
why didn't I see this before.
I totally support this.

In D&O is not a real problem. But I assume that in part 2 (with hundreds of systems ?) or with TSB mod can be extremely useful.