1.7a3 Targeting/Omni fire problem

Found a bug in the game? Post it in one of the applicable sub forums depending on the version you are using. Tech support is also available in the Tech Support subforum.
TheLoneWolf
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

So I observed this bug while I was getting destroyed by a Molotok. If you target a friendly ship docked at a friendly station, your Omnidirectional weapon (TLC in my case) doesn't lock on your target. IDK if its intentional, just wanted ye guys to know.
NMS
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Weapons not locking on to friendly targets unless they're angry is a deliberate change. I'm not sure yet if it's a good idea.
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

I feel like this makes the lore on what dots mean somewhat more convoluted. The initial handwave appears to be that the government designates some ships as red, and it's okay to fire upon those. That makes sense with the new change, under the (presently correct) assumption that nobody can mess around with the dot colors of someone else's ship or spoof a green one. A society like the CW, with a very laissez faire belief system, probably wouldn't like to take that risk. Think about how people react to the idea of their self driving car making decisions in the name of the 'greater good', and imagine replacing the car with a gun in a universe full of violent criminals who are at best indifferent towards the idea of killing you.

Of course, even this causes issues with some things. The Huari are aggressive towards Commonwealth ships, yet the ROM somehow knows when they become willing to make an exception for the player and accepts this. More blatantly, it can recognize that you want to kill Commonwealth military ships when defending the Antarctica, and lights them up as red accordingly.
TheLoneWolf
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Wouldn't it make sense if the ship's computers listened to the players instead of the Govt? Ain't that against "free will" or crap like that? BTW the RESCUE KATAMI mission is way difficult without targeting the Molotok. But but my V-50 laser obeys my command...How?
Xephyr
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

TheLoneWolf wrote:BTW the RESCUE KATAMI mission is way difficult without targeting the Molotok. But but my V-50 laser obeys my command...How?
Sounds like something to do with swivel weapons - You should ticket that.
Project Renegade (Beta) : "The Poor Man's Corporate Command!"
Real programmers count from 0. And sometimes I do, too.
TheLoneWolf
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Xephyr wrote:
TheLoneWolf wrote:BTW the RESCUE KATAMI mission is way difficult without targeting the Molotok. But but my V-50 laser obeys my command...How?
Sounds like something to do with swivel weapons - You should ticket that.
k
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

I think I have an ideal fix for this. Add a key that can be held to override the targeting restrictions. Prevents friendly fire when not intended, but allows the targeting of friendlies that must be killed for either loot or a mission.
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

If I target a friendly, and I want to shoot it, I want ALL of my guns to fire at it! Even if the friendly is not angry at me.

If one of the Transcendence 1.7 betas changed this recently, then this is yet another advantage Endless Sky has over Transcendence - being able to target and murder friendlies for whatever reason, such as theft as done by Salvagers.
Download and Play in 1.9 beta 1...
Drake Technologies (Alpha): More hardware for combat in parts 1 and 2!
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!
Playership Drones: Buy or restore exotic ships to command!

Other playable mods from 1.8 and 1.7, waiting to be updated...
Godmode v3 (WIP): Dev/cheat tool compatible with D&O parts 1 or 2.