turning in combat

General discussion about anything related to Transcendence.
durbanator
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

i've noticed that theres a slight bug, perhaps, regarding turning while thrusting forward and shooting at the same time.
supposing im using an omni weapon and targeting some ship, i usually just swing around in circles around it till said ship dies, but in the recent releases of transcendence, it doesnt work both ways.
if i hold spacebar and the up arrow key and then press the right arrow, while firing it turns right but if i press the left key instead of the right, it keeps firing but it doesnt turn left. for me to turn left while holding the up arrow key i have to stop holding space.
its an inconvenience for me because i prefer to go for the omni weapons and not give two hoots about being accurate enough with the regular straight firing weapons
i dont think its an issue with my keyboard.
does this happen with anyone else?
is this how oracus is taking his frustration out on me?
RPC
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Location: Hmm... I'm confused. Anybody have a starmap to the Core?

That's a keyboard issue (sometimes you can't press multiple keys at the same time). It's weird seeing as it worked before though.

Can you change your keys to see if you can regain turning + shooting? Go to settings.xml in your transcendence folder and mess with the keymaps. You can try mine if you want:

Code: Select all

<KeyMap>
		<Map key="Tab" command="NextMissile"/>
		<Map key="Return" command="FireMissile"/>
		<Map key="Shift" command="FireMissile"/>
		<Map key="Control" command="Stop"/>
		<Map key="Pause" command="Pause"/>
		<Map key="Space" command="FireWeapon"/>
		<Map key="Left" command="RotateLeft"/>
		<Map key="Up" command="ThrustForward"/>
		<Map key="Right" command="RotateRight"/>
		<Map key="Down" command="ThrustForward"/>
		<Map key="A" command="RotateLeft"/>
		<Map key="B" command="EnableDevices"/>
		<Map key="C" command="Communications"/>
		<Map key="D" command="RotateRight"/>
		<Map key="F" command="TargetNextFriendly"/>
		<Map key="G" command="EnterGate"/>
		<Map key="I" command="InvokePower"/>
		<Map key="J" command="RotateLeft"/>
		<Map key="K" command="Dock"/>
		<Map key="L" command="ShipStatus"/>
		<Map key="M" command="ShowMap"/>
		<Map key="N" command="ShowGalacticMap"/>
		<Map key="O" command="NextWeapon"/>
		<Map key="P" command="Pause"/>
		<Map key="Q" command="CommandSquadron"/>
		<Map key="R" command="ClearTarget"/>
		<Map key="S" command="ThrustForward"/>
		<Map key="T" command="TargetNextEnemy"/>
		<Map key="U" command="UseItem"/>
		<Map key="W" command="ThrustForward"/>
		<Map key="Y" command="Autopilot"/>
		<Map key="F1" command="ShowHelp"/>
		<Map key="F2" command="ShowGameStats"/>
		<Map key="F7" command="VolumeDown"/>
		<Map key="F8" command="VolumeUp"/>
		<Map key="F9" command="ShowConsole"/>
		<Map key="Period" command="Stop"/>
	</KeyMap>
Tutorial List on the Wiki and Installing Mods
Get on Discord for mod help and general chat
Der Tod ist der zeitlose Frieden und das leben ist der Krieg
Wir müssen wissen — wir werden wissen!
I don't want any sort of copyright on my Transcendence mods. Feel free to take/modify whatever you want.
digdug
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

are you using a laptop ? laptops usually have a very limited number of keys that can be pressed at the same time and it's a well known problem on nearly all the models.

I resolved it by buying a cheap USB keyboard and plugging it into my laptop.
durbanator
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

yeah i am using a laptop. i've been going at a shot for the high score. coming up close to 20 hours of gameplay so far, without a death, if the insurance death> ressurection cloning etc doesnt count.
i've reached the heretic system though i've skipped out a lot of ares and im close to 1M. those darn phobos are hard to kill and my 5-6 years tried and tested (in the older versions on my desktop) strategy for killing them doesnt work so well if i cant turn the way i used to. ill give the key mappings a go and see if it works. i dont think buying an external keyboard would be so feasible for the moment
sun1404
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

The Ares is one of the best part of the game! Why skip? They're the enemy with the biggest presence in human space, and they hold many great weapons that can be used against the boss. If you can't get the Plasma Archcannon or the Lamplighter, the Ares positron cannon is a somewhat good choice too, but you'll need to aim, which is not hard, I think, with the last boss' size. The positron cannon have shieldbreaking in the new version, too. They'll do extra damage on shields, and it's base damage is already good enough.

With the Phobos, there's many ways to kill it. The most basic one(but needs some skills) is to ram your ship into it from the front, unleashing all weapons, and swerve out of it's Archcannon's way when it comes. Although the Phobos has level ten armor and level nine shield, it won't take long to bring down. This technique will be easier if you have rapid fire weapons, like a +fast Ion Lancer or something like that. The Archcannon shots can actually be destroyed. Another way is to use omni weapons (or your multitarget IM90) and circle around the Phobos. It's aim is actually bad, if you circle it. (I even tried staying still with a Phobos trying to kill me. If it's close enough, it can't hit me at all! Must be something about it's AI. The turn rate's too bad.)

Another strategy is to find the space between it's facings, where it can't aim you right. You'd need to match it's speed or be very close to that after you find this space, so that your relative position with the Phobos won't change. Then fire at will. The big orange cylinder can't hit you.

There might be even more strategies. Wolfy is the most experienced in hunting Phobi, I believe. Surely he will know more techniques in killing them. :D
Yes, look at my avatar, I have a wyvera type ship.
RPC
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Location: Hmm... I'm confused. Anybody have a starmap to the Core?

sun1404 wrote:The Archcannon shots can actually be destroyed.
That is amazing. I had no idea you could just ram the Phobos o.o
Tutorial List on the Wiki and Installing Mods
Get on Discord for mod help and general chat
Der Tod ist der zeitlose Frieden und das leben ist der Krieg
Wir müssen wissen — wir werden wissen!
I don't want any sort of copyright on my Transcendence mods. Feel free to take/modify whatever you want.
durbanator
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

After a traumatic experience of getting blown to bits by the phobos and losing my last insurance I'm trying to be extra careful with them. I've taken out a couple. What I did was keep moving backwards while firing my fusion fire howitzer and aiming for its mouth. The recoil keeps you out of harms way but you have to keep stopping to prevent yourself from drifting too far away. It worked a few times. I thought that the gotta seekers would help a bit too but 200 missiles away and it barely did much damage. I've gotten a kaidun shield but it takes forever to recharge. I sold about 8 positron cannons to make enough money to buy the IM90 but I think I've still got a few lying around somewhere.. So far except the heretic and the two systems before it the ares have been wiped out. I forgot where I'm supposed to go and what to do to get my hands on the lamplight cannon. I rescued the scientists and I got it back from the Europa. Wreck. I can't seem to find admiral decker anywhere. I think I'm supposed to meet him on his csc and he tells me to destroy one of the csc in the dantalion system.. I'm itching to get some iocrym weapons.
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

The IM90 is overhyped. At very short range it does well against shields and it's quick at mopping swarms, but against armor it tends to spread damage between armor segments more than single fire weapons. The Omni Ion Blaster fires faster for the same single target damage for a lot less dosh. The Ares Lightning Turret hits harder with a much higher peak fire rate and only 50% lower sustained fire rate at longer range.

Next time I'd suggest skipping it for one of the other high end omnis and seeing if you can do something useful with the savings.
Literally is the new Figuratively
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Which version? Before 1.2 beta, IM90 lived up to the hype, especially if enhanced. As of beta, it has 64% of its former DPS - no longer the super weapon it once was. It is decent for the EI500, but the other ships are better served by an Ares lightning turret or two.
Download and Play in 1.9 beta 1...
Drake Technologies (Alpha): More hardware for combat in parts 1 and 2!
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!
Playership Drones: Buy or restore exotic ships to command!

Other playable mods from 1.8 and 1.7, waiting to be updated...
Godmode v3 (WIP): Dev/cheat tool compatible with D&O parts 1 or 2.
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

PM wrote:Which version? Before 1.2 beta, IM90 lived up to the hype, especially if enhanced. As of beta, it has 64% of its former DPS - no longer the super weapon it once was. It is decent for the EI500, but the other ships are better served by an Ares lightning turret or two.
It was never actually a super weapon except at extremely close range because it spread so much. People just didn't use its cheaper peers because of the hype or ammo aversion.
Literally is the new Figuratively
sun1404
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I'd say there's nothing like the IM90 for destroying swarms. If you talk about single target, then I'd say nothing exceeds the Plasma Archcannon. And for the IM90, I think the hypes and the price was high because it's the only weapon in the game(the vanilla, of course) that utilizes multitarget technology. It's the price of monopoly.
Yes, look at my avatar, I have a wyvera type ship.
durbanator
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

its short range doesnt help much especially with the bad ass destroyers (read phobos and deimos)
funnily enough i encountered only one ranx dreadnought.
got blown to bits after taking the plasma archannon shot to the side and domina saved me and the blue shield went down right as a swarm of ares sandstorms and one goddamn tundra showed up and sent a micronuke which took out the rest of my kaidun generator and as i tried to turn away to try to hide the 0 hp armour segment from a sandstorm i got blown to bits.. so many hours just wasted by one bloody sandstorm. i really hate the ares with a vengeance now!
they're gonna pay :evil: