Transcendence on Wikipedia

General discussion about anything related to Transcendence.
Boris the Cat
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

dvlenk6 wrote:Got some spelling errors there, but nice job :D :
rumoured -> rumored
Gameplay -> Game Play
20 and 30 star system -> twenty and thirty star systems
stargate -> Star Gate (that one is questionable)
seperated -> separated
This is a waaaaay old reply, but according to the official Wikipedia guidelines, it doesn't matter if an article uses UK English or US English when spelling something, as long as it is consistent. In this case, the only word that needs correcting, is "seperated", if it hasn't already been so. Numbers (1, 2, etc.) versus words (one, two, etc.) + "Stargate" is just a matter of style, and as such there is no need to correct any of it.

Of course, I was too lazy to read through the rest of the thread, or the wiki article, so this might already have been mentioned...
Karl
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Wow, Boris, you're really into spelling, aren't you?

You're pretty much right about the guidelines... though, when choosing which spelling system to use, it would make more sense if American spellings were used, since Transcendence is an American game.

p.s. By the way, you know you're talking about Wikipedia when you start debating things like UK vs. US-style spelling.
~
[Grabs a box of batteries.] The power is mine! MINE! Ah hahaha! AHHHH HAHAHA!
Yugi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Anybody have ideas as to how we can expand the article, text-wise? It currently looks like a small amount of text with a large numbers of links stuck at the end.

EDIT: Thanks to PlayMeNow, i've now added a bit about the randomly generated systems and the pre-set ones such as Eridani, St. K's, Heretic, etc.:
Wikipedia page about Transc wrote:Most of the game is randomly generated, more specifically the star systems. There are a small number of star systems that are almost exactly the same in each game, such as the starting system (Eridani), the Commonwealth capital system (St. Katherine's Star System), and the final system where you must defeat the Iocrym Commandship (Heretic).
Karl
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Don't about the size of the article; what matters is if the article says what needs to be said. The article is already comparable in size to other articles of the same type anyway.

p.s. One thing that *is* missing and would be nice to add is a picture. :D
~
goat not sheep
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

The genre? And I still don't know how to give my screenshots to you! Sponge gave me a site...I dunno where the link is...
>.<
Sponge
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

Here's the site. Click.

Just browse to the image on your computer with the site's browse button, select it, and wait. The site will give you a bunch of links. Post the "Direct link to image" here, and then someone can download it and take care of the rest.
Karl
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

By the way, what's up with Elite? It's mentioned rather prominently in the article and I don't see why. If Transcendence was inspired by Elite then it should be mentioned, but as far as I know the only publicly known source of inspiration for Transcendence is Nethack.

Of course Nethack probably isn't the ONLY source of inspiration for Transcendence... there is almost certainty a space-based game or two out there that influenced it.... But which game(s), only George knows for sure. ***Attempts to read George's mind***

And if Elite wasn't a source of inspiration for Transcendence then it is rather gratuitous to mention it: Lots of games are "similar" to Transcendence in one way or another; none of the other similar games gets a mention, nor should they. So it follows that the references to Elite should be taken out.

So who wants the fame and glory of making the edit? 8)

p.s. And if there is any chance that George is reading this:
Hey, George, what games other then Nethack influenced Transcendence?
~
Yugi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Just pointing out that I had the Transcendence page on Wikipedia "wikified". It's quite a bit better now.
Sponge
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

Someone over at the Wiki, might have been you, I don't know, doesn't like the line:
A number of people on both the official and unofficial forums have praised the game for its ease in modification.
I did a bit of reading, and I'm fairly sure it's because of the "A number of people" line, as the phrase could really mean ANY number of people, and the fact can't be called wrong even if only one person has those thoughts about the game. One is a number, 'ya know :wink:. I think it would conform to Wiki standards better as:
Transcendence has been praised for its ease in modification.
Or something like that. It may even need a citation.

Looks like they also want a few citations. One about the game being randomly generated, and one about it being a bit like other RPG classics, which is more of an opinion than anything else and so I see no reason for it to be cited.
Burzmali
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

Opinion has no place in Wiki, and :
Transcendence has been praised for its ease in modification.
definitely needs a citation.