Stargates

General discussion about anything related to Transcendence.
Fossaman
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I had an interesting thought the other day...is the size of an interstellar vessel in transcendence limited by the size of the stargate? Does the ship actually have to pass through the gate, or does it approach it, then once it's really close flash through to the other side?
X-ray laser! Pew, pew pew!
> = = = = ۞
Yugi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

I'd say it would just flash through, or possibly be enveloped in the purple and then be on the other side. If it's not like this, getting CSCs fro system to system would be rather problematic.
Fossaman
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

That assumes that the stargate and the ships in the game are to scale, which they might not be. The stargate could, after all, be the size of a planet or something.
> = = = = ۞
OddBob
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

That assumes that the stargate and the ships in the game are to scale, which they might not be. The stargate could, after all, be the size of a planet or something.
They're not. To scale, that is, I haven't the slightest how big a stargate is.
Nothing in Transcendence is to scale.

It's obviously huge, though.
BlackPheonix
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

we could rememdy this by just making the stargates bigger..than say the iocrym, (biggest ship off the top of my mind) and then we could just say it's "big enough..." :lol: a easy solution...but...it is an interesting question....
"The world of reality has it's limits, the world of imagination is boundless..."
Fossaman
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Ah, but then what happens when somebody wants to mod a bigger ship? No easy fixes for me, please.

What really set me wondering on this is the elongated shape of all the large cargo ships (Polar, Sung, SuperFreighter).
> = = = = ۞
Yugi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Maybe all of the large (super)freighters can just turn 90 degrees downwards, and then go through the gate?
Fossaman
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

You're missing the 'not to scale' bit still, Yugi. The gate graphic does not represent the actual orientation and size of the stargate, obviously. Otherwise the CSC could never get through.

Anyway, my basic question of whether something actually has to go through the gate to get to another system, or just approach within a certain range before it hits some sort of event horizon still stands.
> = = = = ۞
Yugi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Yes, I know what you mean. I was just saying that ships that particular shape and size (assuming they actually have to enter the gate) could just turn 90 degrees downwards and then go through.
OddBob
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

For not touching it:

You'd have to dodge the rings. With a from-memory estimate of one turn per realtime second (ish), the rings revolve every 50 seconds, 50 seconds gametime equal one realtime. That's 25 second to get to the middle before the other side smacks you (assuming a long ship). Granted, this might be time if it's huge (although the bigger it is, the faster the rings are spinnng...), but still, accidents will happen. Unless the rings rotate around on the opposite axis to allow the ship through when it's obscured by the purple haze.

For touching it:

You've never seen a CSC go through the stargate. This argument, however is pointless, as ships are not to scale. Most other large ships that come to mind, however, have a pointy-ish shape. The kind you'd make if you were designing a ship to go through a round, smallish object.

http://www.neurohack.com/anacreon/Links.html <-- The picture at the bottom of this page. Note the itty bitty ships. ;)

Funny idea though....What if the stargate is a sort of quarantine? As technology level increases, size usually decreases. So an advanced race ship of more or less equal power to a less advanced race ship would be smaller.

So a race must reach a certain level before it's allowed to come out and play via the stargate network. Obviously the lesser race can still get ships through, but they would be no match for the advancd ones, and thus not a threat.
Fossaman
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Wow...I never thought of that, but that's a really cool idea. One workaround, however, would be to construct modular ships that could go through the gate one segment at a time and re-assemble on the other side.
> = = = = ۞

It's really dark, so you can only see it via the bitmask, but the Elysium gates hae only two rings, rotating on different axes.

I think I've got the rings (normal stargate variant) worked out. I thought the rings didn't touch, and rotated independently, one for each axis (the biggest one not rataing),but the center one is attached (or at least behaves as so) to the secondmost, which is attached to the stationary one. The biggest moving one rotates on an axis perpendicular to the view. But the center one, it rotates on the up-down one relative to the secondmost one, so it appears all wobbly.

That paragraph doesn't make any sense to me upon re-reading it, but it should be fairly obvious looking at it.

So that doesn't chage much, I just though it was interesting.
OddBob
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Oy, that was me.
Forgot to hit enter logging in. :)

I have been thinking aout it a bit, and as many of the ships I can think of (Iocrym doesn't count, the stargate descripton implies there are other ways of FTL travel unknown to us humans, and it's not ever supposed to go through a gate anyway*) aside from the Gain Processor and the CSC that are "capships" are basically long and skinny. Even the medium ones follow that general shape.

COuld just be a subconcious designing thing-y on George's part, but there really is no reason for a spaceship to need to look like that . Yeah, reduced profile when head on. That's not a big deal in space, where your target is a dot anyway under all but the most insane conditions. It's sort of a big deal in-game due to the upscaling, but capships turn so slow anyway that it doesn't matter.

*Total rampant specualtion, but....the Elysium gate is square.....the commandship is, from the front, square. eh? Eh?
Yugi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

OddBob wrote:http://www.neurohack.com/anacreon/Links.html <-- The picture at the bottom of this page. Note the itty bitty ships. ;)
Hey, they look like vertical versions of the Corsair...
ultrabot90
Anarchist
Anarchist

Its really strange on how much mileage (there really isnt any other word for it!) you can get one a really simple question. I think the spaceships go straight into the gate, and according to Oddbobs calculations, I guess they go into it at a fly. I mean, they stay away from the rings, then start the sequence (thats us gamers pressing [G] button) which is timed according to the "crossing"/"intersection" of the rings.
Hope my theory helps.
Cya! *teleport*
EDIT-Yeah, Fossaman's theory (the third post) is the most probable theory according to me. It can resolve all conflicts in this case from game creator's, game player's and rationalists' sides.
WARNING-v strong language, but still good.A gamers manifesto