Transcendence Online via Continuum

General discussion about anything related to Transcendence.
Phaeton
Miner
Miner

It would be very easy (about a week's worth of work) to produce an online version of Transcendence. First, let me elaborate on what Continuum is.

Continuum is actually the name of the client used to play the game Subspace, originally created by VIE in ~1996, for this discussion, you can refer to the game as Continuum, as it just simplifies things.

Continuum is a space-shooter game that is completely player ran and developed (although there are some slowdowns with the development as of this past year). Hosting your zone is rather simple, and has been well documented. Cheating is all but but gone (99.999% of Continuum's population has never cheated with the exceptions of rule breaking).

Well, that's enough of the useless banter. Continuum is broken down into several zones (each with their own settings and gameplay). Each zone can be configured and manipulated rather easily, going from this - http://www.ssdownloads.com/images/snapplayc.gif .... to this - http://72.41.34.197/images/screen2.jpg

It would be quite easy for me to rip Transcendence's graphics, apply them to Continuum, and do this all by myself, but I'm not like that. I'd rather do it, if nothing else, with George's approval.

If this perks anyone's interest, reply. I'll also throw this thread up at the UTF.
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

In my opinion, taking Transcendence graphics and using them in Continuum is not the same as creating an online version of Transcendence.

Nevertheless, I have no problems with you doing that, as long as you respect my copyright in the following ways:

1. Display the following text somewhere: "Transcendence graphics copyright 2003-2006 by George Moromisato. All Rights Reserved. Used With Permission."

[It doesn't have to be on the game screen or anything--it just has to be somewhere prominent where everyone will see it at least once.]

2. Do not call your game Transcendence. [You may say that it is "inspired by Transcendence" or "based on Transcendence" but please do not call it "Online Transcendence" or anything like that.]

Good luck! It sounds like a cool project.

[EDIT: Fixed the copyright dates]
Last edited by george moromisato on Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phaeton
Miner
Miner

Great, consent was the first thing I was looking for, though I'd need - if nothing else - user input, because I haven't played Transcendence as obsessively as some of the others.

Let me break this down.

In Continuum, there are 8 ships. It's a low number to work with, but there's plenty we can do with 8. The ship's radius is modifiable, so superfreighters and minigunships are a possible.

When you enter the zone, settings would automatically force you into spectator mode - you're just watching. If you haven't done so already, you'd be prompted into choosing a ship hull to work with - personally I think all eight should be available to start with, though that's just my opinion. You'd start off with a single cannon and your rather weak ship - until you got energy upgrades (there are MaxEnergy/SpawnEnergy settings in Continuum), cannon upgrades, bomb (read: air-to-air missile) upgrades, thrust, max speed, etc.

I'd like to do a system where you work for upgrades. The easiest thing to do in Continuum is a simple warzone where the object is just mindless killing.

Despite all I've mentioned, I think the best question for me to pose is - what type of gameplay would you enjoy most?

Here are our options -

-Mindless Killing with nothing else...
-Wabbit (Rabbit) - One person grabs a flag and runs around with it trying to kill as many people has he can, to rack up a nice W:L(Kill:Death) ratio and bounty.
-Capture the flag - A number of flags spawn, it's your goal to get them all, hold them for a certain amount of time, to win the jackpot.
-Turf - Stationary flags, you claim them and then defend them.

Feel free to ask questions.
BlackPheonix
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

we could do a turf style, in various scenarios i think a very obvious one would be a battle beteween the Commonwealth and the Ares.
"The world of reality has it's limits, the world of imagination is boundless..."
Phaeton
Miner
Miner

Cool - I need eight ships to work with. What eight ships would you use? I don't think that freighters are going to be a part of this game, (it would be difficult to implement), but I think both the Sap. Yacht and the Wolfen Gunship will be in the game.

Out of eight ships,

Independent?
--
1. Saph. Yach
2. Wolfen Gunship

Commonwealth
--
3. ( Suggest One )
4. ( Suggest One )
5. ( Suggest One )

Ares
--
6. ( Suggest One )
7. ( Suggest One )
8. ( Suggest One )

If you could be so awesome as to include a picture when you suggest one (upload it to Imageshack or e-mail it to me: [email protected]).
Yugi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Well, for the Commonwealth you could have the Centurion, Ronin and...Tripoli?
The Ares can have Sandstorm, Cometfall and the Polar.
Phaeton
Miner
Miner

Yugimotomanager wrote:Well, for the Commonwealth you could have the Centurion, Ronin and...Tripoli?
The Ares can have Sandstorm, Cometfall and the Polar.
Awesome. The Tripoli.... is the first sighting of that in the Maximus Arena?

Edit: Oh, are those ships all roughly the same size? Superfreighters/gunships (referred to from here as "Capital Ships") are just as easy to do, though I'd like to keep the masses of the ships roughly equal.

Or, since Continuum supports a turret system (you attach (read: warp to) to a ship, and you're a turret mounted on that ship), we could have, say, two capital ships (one Ares and one Commonwealth), and large turrets could run through space creating rampage :).
Phaeton
Miner
Miner

Ask a question, we'll answer. I think the general opinion is that we'd like to discuss this here. Ask the readers on the OTF to come here, as that's the case.
From the UTF, they're being a bit stubborn :P. We'll move this there.
BlackPheonix
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

yup, were stubborn....about just about everything....
"The world of reality has it's limits, the world of imagination is boundless..."