Thoughts about time in Transcendence

General discussion about anything related to Transcendence.
omniaddict
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

I noted recently that the Omni laser cannon has a range of 60 LS, where LS are Light Seconds, the amount of distance light travels in a second. If you look at your map, each square is 100 LS by 100 LS. The trouble is, it doesn't take the laser 60 seconds to travel 60 LS, even though lasers travel at the speed of light.

Therefore, I suggest that if it takes a laser beam 2 seconds in the game to travel 60 LS, then the game must be running 30 times faster than real time.
Stormhawk
Closed Account
Closed Account

There's something in the .Tdb file that specifies the time in Transcendence, I believe one minute game time is one second our time.
(name here)
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

50 game seconds to one real-time second.

Also, i'm going to pretend the explanation for lasers moving slowly is that they are coherent particle beams meeting a certain set of specifications and everyone calls them lasers because it sounds cooler than "Cheap, bad particle beams"
schilcote
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Or maybe there's gases in Transcendence space that slow down the light. Cheapo particle beam sounds like a good explanation too. But what kind of particles are particle beams? Asking that question opens up a bunch of opportunities for such weapons as the Tachyon Particle Beam, which travels faster than light, or the Electron Beam, which overloads the enemy ships computers, (and maybe recharges his shield?).
[schilcote] It doesn't have to be good, it just has to not be "wow is that the only thing you could think of" bad
digdug
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I did some tests a few weeks ago (using Ondamage event and automatically calculating time differences)
What I found is:
A weapon of speed 100 travels in Transcendence space at 16 ticks/ls.
With this it's possible to calculate the travel distance of any weapon accurately.
The value was calculated over a distance of 100ls in quintuplicate, so i believe it's accurate.

And I posted the result also in Weapons Overview (basic++)

and don't forget that (copied directly from transcendence.xml):

Code: Select all

SCALES

1 second realtime = 60 seconds game-time
	1 pixel = 12,500 kilometers
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Transcendence WIKI
Transcendence WIKI
Transcendence WIKI
Transcendence WIKI