Status update

General discussion about anything related to Transcendence.
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

Since some people are asking about the next version I thought I would give a quick update:

I still need several more weeks to complete the tasks that I've got planned. Right now I'm projecting early August for a release. As always, this could change, but that is the most likely date right now.

I've got the following implemented in the new version:

1. Teratons, which as I said elsewhere, are the "evil" version of Ringers. You will be able to trade with them (for rin) to buy/sell some things that Ringers do not deal with.

2. Some extension improvements including support for DockScreens, Globals tag, and Sovereign tag. [no support for system defs in extensions yet]

3. Four new corporate stations, mostly at the higher levels. One trades in rin, which should (along with Teratons) enhance the rin economy.

4. A dozen new items mostly for the higher levels. One is a level X omni weapon that shoots three separate shots at independent targets.

5. Lots of bug fixes and game balancing changes. For example, stations now fire at long range.

I've also made a few, possibly controvertial changes (but I think they will enhance game-play):

6. System map ROMs sometimes fail at the higher-levels (i.e., they do not map all enemy stations--since the enemy stations might not be known to the Commonwealth). This lets me add other higher-level ROMs to map.

7. Duralloy armor and Duralloy ore is rarer and doesn't appear until the mid-levels. In my games, Duralloy armor seems overpowered for the level at which it can be found. To compensate, I've created new kinds of lower-level regenerating armor that is not as powerful as Duralloy (but better than "normal" armor).

8. I've added a few intermediate reactors: 50MW and 150MW. This will make the power-progression smoother. Before, going from 25MW to 100MW seemed like a big jump. I've also added some new fuels (a level V xenotite fuel rod and a level IX hadron-vacuum fuel cell)

My major remaining tasks are to create a couple of new enemy sovereigns.
Petrus
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Nice, thanks for the update!
Yugi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Wow, that'll be a pretty good upgrade from 0.96a to..eerr... 0.96b? 0.97?

I like having a couple of new reactors, and the new fuels will mean easier and better refueling. Maybe there could be a 750MW reactor as well?
What will the new sovereigns be? Or are you going to leave something for us to find out on our own?
I like having the Corporate Hierarchy being expanded, as you would expect a large bussinessy-type thing to be in many places, and to continue to expand.
I think there are other items/devices in the game like Duralloy that should be made rarer, such as the QAC and Iocrym Veil.
That new tri-omni weapon will make for great modding, and great playing. The new modding abilities, especially sovereigns, will also add more enjoyment to modding.
It's nice to see new items, as when you've played Transcendence 100+ times like me and many others, all of the items get very familiar and rather dull. Also, when there are new items/devices, it gives everone the chance to develop new tactics for playing, which boosts enjoyment of the game.
dvlenk6
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Glad to see the enhancements to the economy in general, and rins specifically.
"War is hell."
-William Tecumseh Sherman
http://dvlenk6.blackraven3d.com/transgals.html
Betelgeuse
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

sounds cool, was the randomness of equipment or randomness of weapon stats implemented? I think that would add the most to the game due to
all of the items get very familiar and rather dull.
Crying is not a proper retort!
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

Betelgeuse wrote:was the randomness of equipment or randomness of weapon stats implemented?
No.

But I still think it is a great idea. Post v1, I think it would be cool if there were a series of powerful artifacts that had random attributes.
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

Yugimotomanager wrote:I think there are other items/devices in the game like Duralloy that should be made rarer, such as the QAC and Iocrym Veil.
Yeah, I agree. I haven't dealt with the QAC yet--probably after this release.
Betelgeuse
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

One is a level X omni weapon that shoots three separate shots at independent targets.
that would be great to add for capital ships. That way they don't get overpowered by attacking one ship with all there shots but still can handle big groups better than small ships. (would make a great way of differentiating small ships from big ships)
SparcMan
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

I'm hoping that along with the new reactor and fuel types, there will be more ways to get advanced fueltypes midgame. As it stands, if you happen to come across a 500MW reactor midgame, the only way you'll be able to fuel up is to kill enemy capships. If the enemy capships are going to be tougher, it's going to make finding fuel a problem.
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

SparcMan wrote:I'm hoping that along with the new reactor and fuel types, there will be more ways to get advanced fueltypes midgame. As it stands, if you happen to come across a 500MW reactor midgame, the only way you'll be able to fuel up is to kill enemy capships. If the enemy capships are going to be tougher, it's going to make finding fuel a problem.
Just having new fuel items should help a little. For example, a 500MW reactor can use the new xenotite fuel rods, which are level V. You should be able to find them at midgame.

That's the theory, anyway--I'm eager to see the reality once I release the new version.
Betelgeuse
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

with stations firing farther will ringer stations be brought down in strength? It seems it will be like there would ether dead stations or large areas of dead ships (this is a bigger problem in areas where there tend to be lots of stations)
Fossaman
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

This sounds great, George! I'm sure I'll be very miffed the first time an unsuspected ranx fortress pulverizes me while I'm cruising through a system I think is safely mapped, but I really like the idea.

How are the new fuel rod types implemented? Do fuel stations sell them, are they found as loot, or what?
X-ray laser! Pew, pew pew!
> = = = = ۞
the_holy_thom
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Sounds very nice - I like the evilness regrading the system maps. Nice touch, more horrible tricks like this would be much appreciated :twisted:

Carrying on from what Betel said, I'd like to see a little variance in mid range equipment, but the random bit I'd like most is in the enemies. Nothing grand, but it would be nice to see a few randomly equipped enemies, obviously still n keeping with the style. I might make a mod of this when the new version comes out to see what it's like.
Need a mod? Transcendence Mods
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

Betelgeuse wrote:with stations firing farther will ringer stations be brought down in strength? It seems it will be like there would ether dead stations or large areas of dead ships (this is a bigger problem in areas where there tend to be lots of stations)
I didn't change Ringer stations--but I'm not sure it will be a problem.

Even though I increased the firing range, I did not increase the range at which stations attack enemies. In other words, there are two ranges: A and B, where range A is the same attack range as in previous versions and B is the longer range.

If an enemy ship wanders into B range, nothing happens. If the ship wanders into A range, then the station will attack the ship (just like before). But once the ship comes under attack, the station will continue to fire on the ship until it leaves B range.

Similarly, if a ship attacks a station inside B range (but outside A range) then the station will attack the ship back.

I think this will work well in practice, but we'll see.
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

Fossaman wrote:This sounds great, George! I'm sure I'll be very miffed the first time an unsuspected ranx fortress pulverizes me while I'm cruising through a system I think is safely mapped, but I really like the idea.

How are the new fuel rod types implemented? Do fuel stations sell them, are they found as loot, or what?
Thanks, I'm glad you like it!

Several stations that previously only refueled with Helium assemblies will now refuel with xenotite fuel rods also (that means that they will serve higher-powered reactors).

And of course, they will also be found randomly as loot (xenotite fuel rods are Common).

Over time I will probably also add the new fuel rods as programmed loot in some ships.