late game troubles

General discussion about anything related to Transcendence.
Betelgeuse
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Early and mid game seem alot funner than late game why is this? Here are some reasons I think that is.

Larger groups of enemies that each take longer to kill. With reinforcements you can get stuck in a loosing battle of more reinforcements and random enemies come before you can take care of the ones you are fighting with.

Ringers being the only people dealing in rins and the only way to get rins is to sell them cheap ores over and over.

Ringers having overpowered weapons that lead to nothing being able to even approach them. The player can't attack them due to them being one of the only friendly stations late game that can refuel you and install the higher level devices.

Lack of interesting friendly non alined stations in late game. In early game it is fun to find a tinkerers or weapon dealer or armor dealer but in late game the only interesting friendly station is Thors.

any comments or any idea how to solve these or any that I missed?
Crying is not a proper retort!
Revolver
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

You also forgot to mention the Arena and the Korolov missions which also add a bit on interest to the beginning parts of the game. Even the Black Market Stations lose a lot of interest after playing the game enough.I agree there seems to be a lot more to do in the early parts of the game while late game play seem focused on simply taking out enemies. I think that the commerce of late game could be expanded and a lot of the early game features could be carried over to the later parts of the game, although I'm sure George has more plans for things to add.
the_holy_thom
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

really the late game just gets a bit repetitive and combat heavy - being able to branch out more with missions, and more variety would be very nice
Need a mod? Transcendence Mods
dvlenk6
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I am constantly confused over whether people are talking about mods, official changes, or just making observations/conversation.
Betelgeuse wrote:...Ringers being the only people dealing in rins and the only way to get rins is to sell them cheap ores over and over... ...Lack of interesting friendly non alined stations in late game....
Couldn't these be combined by modding new station types? The new stations could trade in rins and they could have missions too.

It seems like rins were meant to be used as currency after you leave territories that have a Commonwealth trade presence, but haven't been fully developed.

I'm busy with side branchs right now. If nobody else does any of this, maybe I'll steal these ideas and make something out of them.
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

I agree with this. The late game needs more friendly encounters and more interesting enemy encounters (there's no real equivalent to getting hit with a cyberattack, for instance).

I've got some ideas planned for the next version(s):

Teratons: These are basically the 'evil' version of Ringers. They will trade with you and there are ways that you can get cool items from them (this is probably where to get the Kytryn plasma pods) but there will always be some risk...

Refugee Camps: I want to expand the Kobol Warlords more. The idea is that they are warlords taking advantage of the chaos in the Ares-Commonwealth front. They control most of the refugee camps, but perhaps there is some way to trade with them? I need to think more about this.

As always, no guarantees--I don't know if the above ideas will work or not, so you may or may not see them in a future version.

I'd be interested in other ideas. Please continue to post them if you've got them!
Tantallos-Lucifers Lawyer
Anarchist
Anarchist

The Mid-Late game results very hard for me since there is less friendly missions. Anyway i would like to see more missions like point juno one.
And now that im writting, i have a question for george: There will be anytime a asimilator race such as the borgs of star trek? is only a question
Eli
Miner
Miner

I know one of the issues discussed back when I was addicted to Nethack was the length and repetiveness of Gehenna (not that I got that far very often!). I finally just finished a Transcendence game and thought the last 4 star systems could have been the same system for all practical purposes. My ship was geared up to its fullest and it was just blast away at various repeating enemies and keep refueling until I got to Heretic (where I found I wasn't so well prepared, alas).
As it is, Transcendence is one of the best games I've run across in a few years, and adding some extra play and need for strategy (missions, adventures, other trading partners, maybe an expansion of that Domina mystical thing) to the last 7 or 8 systems would just be icing on the cake.
evilbob
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Personally I don't like the idea of a borg like race.
the Luminous are about as close as I want to get to the borg.
the Idea is too well known
trancendence shouldn't become a star trek game.
Yugi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Aren't the Luminous already similar to the borg? I you've read the Star Trek Future books, you'd know their origins etc.
Betelgeuse
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

the Teratons thing does sound interesting. You try to sell your archcannon to them for rins and they have a small chance of just taking it and kicking you out of the station.
Crying is not a proper retort!
Frits
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Quote George/ there's no real equivalent to getting hit with a cyberattack /unquote
Indeed, suddenly you might need to escape and if you came unprepared you're in serious trouble. I think there should be items that enable you to shrug off each kind of cyberattack, that's for the midgame. You may find these in time or you may not. In the endgame a new type of slaver could appear that renders these items useless. There could be an armsrace in cyberwar.
F50
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Just a collection of ideas/opinions:

I agree that stations should be much, much, more powerfull.

What about the CSC's instead of Korolov. They need medical supplies and could easily make this kind of mission.

I have never understood Point Juno, It can simply be ignored the entire game and I have not found any reward(other than free dock services at CSC's).

What about missions or challanges from a bar equivelent at the CSC's, like who can destroy X first, who can kill the most units of type X at location Y?

What about replacing the battle arena by contests (or slay particular unit quests) at Ringer stations for rins?
SparcMan
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Oooo!! I like the idea of ringer-based missions. It might help to give more insight to the motives of the ringers! It would be interesting if they refuse to even offer you any missions until you've traded a certain amount with them first. Speaking of trading, ringer missions would be a great alternative source of rins as well.
Revolver
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

evilbob wrote:Personally I don't like the idea of a borg like race.
the Luminous are about as close as I want to get to the borg.
the Idea is too well known
trancendence shouldn't become a star trek game.
I always thought of them more like the machines of the Terminator universe, but AI wanting to kill humans goes back to 2001. Anyone have thoughts on Luminous based missions?