active shield

General discussion about anything related to Transcendence.
Betelgeuse
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

I love my new shield. Whenever it gets hit it explodes. :lol:
Crying is not a proper retort!
schilcote
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Neat. Code please?
[schilcote] It doesn't have to be good, it just has to not be "wow is that the only thing you could think of" bad
Yugi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

ZOMG! O_O
Does the explosion damage you?
Betelgeuse
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Yugi wrote:ZOMG! O_O
Does the explosion damage you?
Not in that version but I do plan on making a version where when hit it does damage you (the interesting part there is any hit would bring down the shield but I plan on making the shield come back up extremely fast.)

As for the code it is part of the onAttacked mod me and DigDug are working on. We have the core done and now we are making tons of weapons shields and armor that do stuff when hit or when hitting. Do you have any suggestions on something you would like to see? (only stuff that you can do in code please)
schilcote
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

How about a OnDamaged routine that checks what kind of bullet triggered it, and then hits the bullet's source with the same kind of damage. Can you do that? I don't really know.
[schilcote] It doesn't have to be good, it just has to not be "wow is that the only thing you could think of" bad
Betelgeuse
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

we are not using onDamage due to the fact that it is not activated when a shield is hit. We can not do damage to shields in code.
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I'd be interested to see a seriese of meteorsteel missiles (and a MAG) that would drop shields on contact, but also drop your own shield on launch.
Betelgeuse
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

hmm I can't do anything about when it is fired (this is a onAttacked mod)
but I could make some weapons that take down shields when they hit but the AI doesn't know how to bring them back up. The player does so they would be a bit uneven.

how does this sound a weapon that when it hits a shield damages it?
F50
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

I too would like the meteorsteel weapon. It wouldn't be that much of a player advantage because the AI using it would have meteorsteel armor anyways.

That said, a weapon that damages the shield would also be very nice (and would be something that I could use, too).
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I meant drop as the effect a shield suffers when reduced to zero HP, not disable. The AI doesn't have to do anything to recover from that except wait.

As you said, though, it does use more than just onAttacked and if it only affected the target's shields it would be way too powerful.
Fatboy
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Wow! looks cool.
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Its like my head... when I try to use it.

Anyway neat! can I see the code?
schilcote
Militia Captain
Militia Captain