How to blow up a teraton nest (Obviously, spoilers)

General discussion about anything related to Transcendence.
omniaddict
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

As usual, I may be the last person to discover this, but I find that if I have a plasma torch ( which you can loot from ferian wrecks), I can park my ship 14-15 LS away from one of the teraton defenders (preferably directly north, south, east or west so I get a straight shot) and as long as I am firing straight at the defender, the torch fire will stop any shots from the defender and also do damage to the defender itself.

This same characteristic of plasma torch fire (like buckshot, it passes through things and thus can hit several things at once) is useful once you've blown up all the defenders. The teraton nest itself doesn't have any weapons, it just heals itself so quickly that you need a powerful weapon to do it any damage.

If you shoot straight at the teraton nest, the Plasma torch won't do enough damage. But if you aim correctly for one of the three "arms" the torch fire will hit the arm, pass through it, and hit the arm behind it, doing nearly double damage. I have found that it only takes a few minutes in autopilot speed to blow up a nest this way.

Of course, the point is that after you blow up the nest, the next nest will buy all the loot from you, and after you blow that nest up, the next nest will buy the stuff from you. 2 or three nests will provide you all the rins you need for the rest of the game. Remember, to "park" your ship, jettison an item, then dock with that item's crate, and you will be sitting still in space.

Happy hunting!
Bobby
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

parking is also acomplished with period. .
omniaddict
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

well !@(&!

How long has that been there? Now I sound really stupid :)

Thanks
darksider
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

I guess it's been there for... well... around 28 years, if you consider it as an inheritance from roguelike games (or namely, Rogue) :)

But frankly speaking, I think it's the worst key allocation in Transcendence; I thought the up arrow key should work to stop the ship at least, or if you use "jkl" keys to control the ship the ideal key for stopping shoud be comma, not period (though I would insist so-called "vi keys" to control the ship).

EDIT: No, it should be the DOWN arrow key. Silly me :?
Darth Saber
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

omniaddict Wrote:

"This same characteristic of plasma torch fire (like buckshot, it passes through things and thus can hit several things at once) is useful once you've blown up all the defenders. The teraton nest itself doesn't have any weapons, it just heals itself so quickly that you need a powerful weapon to do it any damage."

If you want a more powerful weapon, log onto the Xelerus website, go to the "Mod Packs" page and download my (Darth Saber) mod pack. Then use the Aristar Duel Dark Lightning Cannon on the Teraton Nest. It is omni-directional, uses 1.8MW of power, and will flame any enemy in seconds.

Anyhow, thanks for the info in your post; I have been trying to develope a "Rick Cash Card" style chip for rins, but am still ironing out the bugs; this leaves me with mining for uranium. If you use the "Ore Refining Rod" mod from Xelerus (works well with v.99c) then you can turn the uranium ore into "nodes of crystalline uranium," which the Ringers are willing to pay well for.
"Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without." - Common addage from the Great Depression Era. :twisted:
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Sure. There are loads of mod weapons that can destroy a Teraton nest. Killing Teratons with a godmodded weapon is no challenge at all.

Just for interest, though, there are other ways to do it in the default game as well. One of them requires a weapon only slightly more advanced than a plasma torch.
  • Katana +Fast Killing the defenders is much the same as with a plasma torch. To kill the station shoot down one of the arms so the shot can hit multiple times.
  • Ion Flame Cannon is not so great for killing defenders, but should be able to kill the station if all shots are hitting. You'll want to be able to survive the explosion, though.
  • Heavy Ion Blaster mathematically it should work I think. It has WMD1 so enhancing it would help.
  • Kytryn Blaster If you're really lucky you might loot it from one of the defenders.
  • IM90 It's close to the regen rate, but it has WMD1 so enhancing it to +100% or higher should do the trick.
  • Just about any level 10 weapon
josh19967
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

I wait for a plasma cannon (buy from ringers/teratons/taikons) before I attack. The only problem is you dont want to kill too many of them or they will attack you on sight. Kytryns (its a Kytryn blaster, right) are harder to kill when the defenders start shooting before you get into position. Thats why I only kill 1 or 3, tops.
I really don't care if I get my hair cut... *snip* NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!
Tamagoyaki
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

I use an Hecates Cannon fot blowing up Teratons - it isn't very fast method, but I'm patient :D
Sorry for my poor english :-(
Last cause of death: arena opponent + crappy Cyclotron shield generator (I was insured).
Aury
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Location: Somewhere in the Frontier on a Hycrotan station, working on new ships.

The xeno lancer was /made/ for blowing up teratons IMO: long range, repeating fire, no knockback.
:D
(shpOrder gPlayership 'barrelRoll)
(plySetGenome gPlayer (list 'Varalyn 'nonBinary))
Homelab Servers: Xeon Silver 4110, 16GB | Via Quadcore C4650, 16GB | Athlon 200GE, 8GB | i7 7800X, 32GB | Threadripper 1950X, 32GB | Atom x5 8350, 4GB | Opteron 8174, 16GB | Xeon E5 2620 v3, 8GB | 2x Xeon Silver 4116, 96GB, 2x 1080ti | i7 8700, 32GB, 6500XT
Workstations & Render machines: Threadripper 3990X, 128GB, 6900XT | Threadripper 2990WX, 32GB, 1080ti | Xeon Platinum 8173M, 48GB, 1070ti | R9 3900X, 16GB, Vega64 | 2x E5 2430L v2, 24GB, 970 | R7 3700X, 32GB, A6000
Gaming Systems: R9 5950X, 32GB, 6700XT
Office Systems: Xeon 5318Y, 256GB, A4000
Misc Systems: R5 3500U, 20GB | R5 2400G, 16GB | i5 7640X, 16GB, Vega56 | E5 2620, 8GB, R5 260 | P4 1.8ghz, 0.75GB, Voodoo 5 5500 | Athlon 64 x2 4400+, 1.5GB, FX 5800 Ultra | Pentium D 3.2ghz, 4GB, 7600gt | Celeron g460, 8GB, 730gt | 2x Athlon FX 74, 8GB, 8800gts 512 | FX 9590, 16GB, R9 295x2 | E350, 8GB | Phenom X4 2.6ghz, 16GB, 8800gt | random core2 duo/atom/i5/i7 laptops
josh19967
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

But ion lancers are hard to get, considering Xenophobe worldships are next to impossible to kill (they will kill you first).
Tamagoyaki
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

If you have a Wolfen and some Omni Ion wpn it's rather easy to kill. Another method is to just lure it to nearest Teraton Nest (if RNG was in good mood) - Teratons aren't neutral for Xenophobes :D
Sorry for my poor english :-(
Last cause of death: arena opponent + crappy Cyclotron shield generator (I was insured).
josh19967
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Tamagoyaki wrote:Teratons aren't neutral for Xenophobes :D
I didn't know that! :D But makes since because "Xenophobe" ships belong to the "Destructive Order" sovereign...