Armor weight limits for the three playable ships

General discussion about anything related to Transcendence.
Clear Air Turbulence
Closed Account
Closed Account

I'd like to know how heavy of armor I can mount on my ship before I buy any - I'd think any captain would know the limits of what he could mount on his ship and shouldn't have to waste money buying armor that's too heavy for his ship to find out it won't work.

So, what are the weight limits for Wolfen, Sapphire, and Freighter?
Yugi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Sapphire max: 60 tons of armor.
Freighter max: 200 tons of armor.
Wolfen max: 100 tons of armor.

You just needed to look at maxArmor in the xml ;)
Clear Air Turbulence
Closed Account
Closed Account

Wow, the Sapphire has a lower limit than the Wolfen? I thought it was supposed to be in-between the Sapphire and Freighter. That's too bad, I started my latest game with a Sapphire because I was unhappy with getting the "The armor is too heavy" message with the Wolfen.

I have some doubts about those figures, too. I know I got the message that a piece of armor was too heavy for my ship when I had less than half of 100 tons total on my Wolfen. I'm sure in-game that the weight limit is something per-segment, because I've got that message trying to install 20 ton armor on a Wolfen that had less than 50 tons of other armor already on it.

This information should probably be available without having to run a program to extract data from the game and then searching it for the right value.
Yugi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

I didn't need to run a program to extract data from the game, I just looked at the xmls :?
I too have doubts about those figures, though I doubt more highly that the Sapphire has 600 tons, Freighter 2000 etc. I know the first numbers are correct. I also doubt 6 tons, 20 tons, etc.
Clear Air Turbulence
Closed Account
Closed Account

I had to run transdata to extract info from .96a, I hadn't tried yet in .97.

I was hoping to get an answer from someone who knew the answer, i.e. George. Your guesses about the meaning of that XML value are wrong, I just tested it. I have a Sapphire with 18 tons of armor on it. I buy a segment of armor that weighs 12 tons and try to install it. I get the "This armor is too heavy" message.

18-4.5+12=25.5 tons

That's far under the 60 ton figure. Even if the 60 tons is really 15 tons per section, that's still under.

I'm guessing (I could be wrong, though) that the armor weight figure is to be divided by 10 and used as a limit per segment - then the Sapphire would be limited to 6 tons per segment, which fits with the test data.
Yugi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Hmm...yes, 6 tons per segment does seem probable. It goes with the Wolfen and freighter, too...
hookoa
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

I'd have to say that it'd be a good idea to have ship specs listed in game by the time Transcendence hits 1.00. If it's going to be a "finished product" some day, a player should be able to get information about his ship without decompiling and scanning through xmls.

I would think a good way to inform the players of their ship stats is to leave an "owners manual" ROM as starting equipment for their ship. There can be a WolfenROM, E100 Series ROM, sapphireROM etc.

Activating the ROM could open a dialogue screen:
"We at Zubrin Systems would like to thank you for your recent purchase of a 23X6 Sapphire Yacht. Your yacht is capable of travel through stargates. All models come standard with a recoiless cannon and snazzy creme paint job. If you're the paranoid sort, your ship's hull is strong enough to support 6 tons of armor. etc..."

I'll repost this in bugs and brainstorms.
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

True, in 0.97 I swapped the max armor ratings of the Wolfen and the Sapphire. My rationale was:

1. The consensus seemed to be that the Wolfen was the weakest ship.
2. It makes more sense to have the Wolfen be strong in brute-force while the Sapphire has to have clever devices to compensate.

Not sure if it worked, though. I'd be interested in opinions from people who have played both the Sapphire and the Wolfen in 0.97.
Clear Air Turbulence
Closed Account
Closed Account

george moromisato wrote:True, in 0.97 I swapped the max armor ratings of the Wolfen and the Sapphire. My rationale was:

1. The consensus seemed to be that the Wolfen was the weakest ship.
2. It makes more sense to have the Wolfen be strong in brute-force while the Sapphire has to have clever devices to compensate.

Not sure if it worked, though. I'd be interested in opinions from people who have played both the Sapphire and the Wolfen in 0.97.
I'll be sure to test it out. I've been playing a Sapphire and doing pretty well with it, but I hadn't played a Sapphire since the first game I played in .96a - I then did a freighter, then the Wolfen.

I'm wondering if something should be done to help the Sapphire out now that it's no longer the middle-of-the-road ship when it comes to armor. A lot of people believed that the Sapphire was the weakest ship, I'm not sure I agree with that but I don't think it was in a position where it needed to be weakened without at least come compensating boost. I'm thinking an extra non-weapon device slot would make it more desirable.

I read somewhere that the Sapphire had some kind of bonuses when it comes to Domina powers, what's up with that? That may be a compensating factor I'm not taking into consideration.

Did you change how fast the Sapphire rotates when it is encumbered? It seems really slow compared to the other ships.
Clear Air Turbulence
Closed Account
Closed Account

I've started a new game with a Freighter.

Freighter is a lot better now. Was it allowed to have two weapons before? I thought it was only allowed 2 if one of them was a launcher, but I can have two regular weapons now. The best thing about it is that it's rotation speed does not slow down appreciably as it gets "burdened" - I've had 0 room to spare on my ship and I can still turn around quick, while the sapphire slows down significantly when there's still 80 tons of space in it. I'll have to try a 0.97 Wolfen now to see what's changed with that, but right now the Freighter is FAR better than the Sapphire...better capacity, better non-weapon slots, better armor, better maneuverability, the only thing that the Sapphire has that it doesn't is 3 weapon slots to the Freighter's 2.
Frits
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

I did recall that the Sapphire was my favorite ship when i started playing 0.97 two weeks ago so i've played all my 3 games with it and i agree with the abovementioned. It's speed of rotation starts to be severely hampered when you're loaded for about half (including cargohold so 75 left). I'm kept from using armors which weigh 6.5 tons and up, ok this is inline with the ships versatility but it got too hard since i didn't find a fortress... alright, i'll admit i did find one firstgame but i shot it by accident with a particle beam.
Wolfen was my second favorite.
FAD
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I guess my personal favorite would have to be the freighter. I don't mind not being able to equip more than 2 weapons, so long as I can upgrade to more powerful weapons per system difficulty. I'll get and keep the NAMI until I can find the Fusionfire Howitzer (love that weapon!), then the NAMI go's to the hold until I can find a mess of Lucifers.
Aside from the Fusionfire, I'm primarily an omni-weapon guy so the start-out omni laser stays until a better omni weapon is found... like the omni turbo, particle or TeV9

The 9 device slots are definitely a major plus for the freighter. Early ingame if they can be found; Laser enhancer, solar arrays, thruster, patcher arm.
Later ingame; Missile defense, jumpdrive, patch spider and better thruster.

I'm like a Klingon when it comes to my space so the cargo hold is tops on the freighter.
Yugi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

The Wolfen-II is actually quite a good mod, and I also have a range of ship mods not made known about.