Spoiler: First run through of 0.97 with unmodded ship

General discussion about anything related to Transcendence.
Burzmali
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

Well, I've completed 0.97 with a single resurrect, against the Iocrym but I'll get to that later, and I have to say that I am pretty impressed. Last time I completed the game was 0.95, after which the Ventauri always managed to stop me dead.

As plenty of people have gone into get depth of what they like and dislike about 0.97, I'll keep it brief. For reference I was using the Freigther.

First, I found worldship plate before St. K's and used it until Point Juno with few ill effects. I hate to be rough, but any armor I can find that early shouldn't last that long. Until the Ares and Ventauri, nothing could touch me. In fact, once I had an ICX and pair of patch spiders, all I worried about was Assemblers. At the very least, it's level needs to be bumped up to 7, and the level curve of a few treasures reduced.

Second, I found a CW Fortress before St. K and a BM Station before the Arena. Odd, I guess, but sometimes the RNG smiles on you.

After St. K's I hit a bit of a dry patch on luck. I found only a single BM Shipyard, no Ringer Stations and my first Ringer Shipyard was well after I had met the Taikon and Teraton.

The Teratons are interesting, but the method of tossing stuff into the pit needs to be improved. Tossing 20 ores into the pit, then 20 fuel is tedious as hell. In the end, I gave up after my first transform was only marginally sucessful, and I didn't want to go through the pain of repeating the process.

Point Juno broke. I wasn't an fleet officer the first time I visited, and when I returned as an Officer, and wiped out one of the fleets, I got the last message in the sequence from the commander "thanks for stopping by ..."

I pretty much ran through the last few systems, I had switched to Holochoral armor with the Veil pumped to 150%, combined with a QAC and Plasma Cannon, supported by 2 patch spiders, ICX, a Jumpdrive and the 200MW drive.

The Iocrym was a let down. The first time I tried, I entered the system found the Command Ship and tried to fight a hit-and-run battle. The QAC couldn't do enough damage, and the Repeller's prevented me from closing in. Eventually, I found that you could bait the Iocrym into following you and pelt it all day with the QAC. In the end, I got bored and tried to rush it once I brought it's shield down. Sadly, this ruined my hard work and my ship was chopped from 450 shield to 0 in a matter of seconds by the repellers and disintrerated by a Quantum sphere. Against my normal policy, I resurrected and tried again. This time I simply continued the same strategy, boring as hell, and won easily within 5 minutes. Pretty sad that the only 2 strategies that seem to work are cheesing the Iocrym out of all its spheres and matching speed and course with it and beating it senseless as it doesn't have the intelligence to evade your attackes.
section6
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

1 ressuerect! wow i suck :lol:
goat not sheep
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

section6 wrote:1 ressuerect! wow i suck :lol:
1 ressurect? I usually get like 6 facing the iocrym and a lot more while going to the iocrym. :oops:
>.<
Burzmali
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

I've beaten most of the recent version without resurrect/insurance/GoC, and normally I wouldn't have posted a 1 resurrect, but I figured I might as well seeing as only dies that one time due to getting bored and rushing the Iocrym...

Why do you die so much against the Iocrym, forget you ICX or something?