Thank you, George Moromisato!

General discussion about anything related to Transcendence.
Periculi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

It's about time I really thanked George for the things he has done for me. You all probably don't know me too well anymore - I have been pretty busy since my daughter was born two years ago and have kind of dropped my activity here in the forums as a result. That and the other things that have changed in my life - due, in large part, to George and this game.

When I discovered Transcendence I was working in construction (20 years worth..) and had gotten really tired of it. Transcendence was a great escape! Such a fun game, and an awesome way to ignore the aches and pains of the daily grind. When I started modding for the game after a month or so, it became an even better hobby, and that much more helpful in getting over the work grind.

After a while, I was doing some really intense stuff with the mod language. Little did I realize at that time, I had developed a new skill! It wasn't until the construction market started to really slow down around here that it dawned on me how valuable modding for Transcendence had become to my life. I took my new skill and applied it to other uses - I started programming! Well, actually, I just started making websites and the programming came along pretty soon after in PHP and Actionscript 3.

If it wasn't for modding Transcendence and learning to program with George's scripting language, I would have never had the courage and confidence to jump into a new career actually doing programming. I got my basic programming education here, for the most part (or in the error messages and debug console, rather)- University of Transcendence Modding. The most amazing part to me during the whole transition was how applicable all these things I had been doing with George's game were to working in Flash and building websites for people.

Granted, there has been a huge amount more learning for me along the way- T-Lisp is quite a bit different than Actionscript 3 and PHP. But the fundamentals that I acquired by modding translated directly into other things very well, and that took me out of construction and into web development. Yay! My back and knees also thank you, George. :)

A few years have gone by since, and I am happily doing my own little freelance work as a web developer, and it's all, pretty much, because of modding for George's game. What a life! And even more fun stuff is going on, the future is looking pretty groovy right now. So, thanks George, your game and your encouragement along the way as I struggled to understand things have ended up taking me places I never expected to go and really changed my outlook on life.
:D
--Bryan.
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

Thank you so much for sharing your story! Nothing inspires me more than hearing that what I do makes a difference. Thank you!

Of course, I would not dare to claim even a tenth the credit that you offer me: clearly your own motivation and intelligence had more to do with your new job and life than anything I could ever do.

Thanks for being a part of our little community and good luck with your own game--I can't wait to try it out.
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Wow. Periculi, that's both amazing and pretty damned impressive. great job! :D
Mischievous local moderator. She/Her pronouns.
Periculi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Thanks. :)

I still think George had a lot of influence, as modest as he is. Other games I played over the years I looked into modding and the mod communities - but this is the only place I ever found that the actual game developer ever took a personal interest in what I was doing and offered insight that keep me going and helped me realize what I was doing wrong and showed me how to do it better. That kind of help is very rare, and is one of the things that makes this an awesome community and a great game to attempt modding.

And there have also been other people have been a great help as well. Betelgeuse, in particular, probably really has helped me improve along the way, and all the other great mod makers whose samples I used as a tutorial for most of my early endeavors.
dogeddie
Miner
Miner

That's cool, Periculi