Iocrym Command Ship weapons

General discussion about anything related to Transcendence.
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I'm opening this here rather than B&B because..well....I am.

The Iocrym command ship is really underwhelming at present. True, it calls in sentinals, but the weapons setup seems weird.....on the one hand, you have a high damage weapon that requires very close range for maximum damage. 10.2 LS, all in all. Then you have the disintegrator, which should be brilliant if the IAC can take out shields...although Longreach does cause an issue.

What I'm interested in is this: Does the repeller cancel this out entirely?
Last edited by Song on Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mischievous local moderator. She/Her pronouns.
Wurmish
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Actually that's a really good point there...
I do find the repellers tend to save me more often than not from the plasma streams once my shields give way (I tend to be up close with a Ferian Plasma Cannon or the like).

So... are the repellers more of a lifesaver or meant to stop players from completely destroying themselves? I understand them being on the outposts (probably needs more push power actually if you only have one on them) but the command ship... shouldn't you want the player to get close and learn the wrath of the Iocrym, so to speak? :D?

/ignorant
My first mod, mostly done, still balance testing.
http://xelerus.de/index.php?s=mod&id=789
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

You could easily make the ICS all but impossible. Just replace all the short range weapons with an equal mass of long range positron beams like the Ares use (but with different graphical effects of course) and it will tear down shields and be pretty much beatable only by the freighter because nobody else can mount armor that has both decent hitpoints and disintegration immunity.

That's not a desirable state.
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Removing the repellers would be okay, but increasing the range of the IAC is problematic because most of the weapons the player could be using aren't much longer ranged, and it's just plain too damaging.
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

True....it's an interesting setup, certainly. The repellers just don't make sense to me...
(name here)
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

I haven't seen the new command ship, but the repellers were added because with the old ICS players could literally sit on top of the command ship and hold down the fire button until their finger cramped or the command ship died. The cannon can't hit things on top, and the ship at least used to maneuver far too slowly to get out from under the player.
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

(name here) wrote:I haven't seen the new command ship, but the repellers were added because with the old ICS players could literally sit on top of the command ship and hold down the fire button until their finger cramped or the command ship died. The cannon can't hit things on top, and the ship at least used to maneuver far too slowly to get out from under the player.
Maybe a range nerf then? Except that would make the iocrym bases even more pathetic than they are already......
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

What about ditching the repellers and omni-fying the IAC?
Bobby
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

the IAC is a bit too big to be omni I think, but why not replace the repellers with one blade of plasma (half of an IFC).
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Bobby wrote:the IAC is a bit too big to be omni I think, but why not replace the repellers with one blade of plasma (half of an IFC).
Nah, I think Omni IAC, and reduce the range on the ICS' repellers. That stops people sitting on it, but still lets the IAC do its job...
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

If the IAC is omni it no longer matters if people sit on it.
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Atarlost wrote:If the IAC is omni it no longer matters if people sit on it.
Good point.
Prophet
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Considering the nature of the Iocrym, I am surpised they don't have any cyber attacks or use a jumpdrive at all.

Perhaps its weapon load out is designed for combating some race of alien ships that exist beyond the quarantine zone?
Coming soon: The Syrtian War adventure mod!
A Turret defense genre mod exploring the worst era in Earth's history.
Can you defend the Earth from the Syrtian invaders?
Stay tuned for updates!
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Prophet wrote:Considering the nature of the Iocrym, I am surpised they don't have any cyber attacks or use a jumpdrive at all.

Perhaps its weapon load out is designed for combating some race of alien ships that exist beyond the quarantine zone?
Well, Repellers would be a VERY good anti-pteravore weapon.......