overpowered stuff

General discussion about anything related to Transcendence.
Betelgeuse
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

What in the Transcendence universe do you think is overpowered? Please state reasons why you think the way you do.

gem of contrition: No matter how powerful of fleet or ship is sent against you can just use this and win. These things are not hard to find and even if they where will never be used for what they where intended. I have two separate solutions for this (not to be used together). One you can't damage other ships when time is stopped. That way you can still escape or just sit there and recharge you shields so it would still be very useful but doesn't guarantee the win. Two must have the computer to install. Alot of people want the computer to be more useful and this is a great way.

ICX: Used by nearly all of the people in mid-late game. The game basically says you have to use it with the last boss and the ranx. No other item in the game has the pressure to use it as much as this item. (not even specific reactors) One solution is to make it part of a series and have the lesser ones miss some of the time. Maybe have one like a auto gunner that shoots ships be part of that line too. As is it is must have items and that goes against what Transcendence is.

I concentrated on items but feel free to put ships or stations in here too.
Crying is not a proper retort!
Revolver
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

What I've found with the GoC is that they were never in abundence to alter the game in any significant form. Yes it may allow you to dominate any one battle, but there are many more Dreadnaughts waiting for you.

I agree with you on the ICX; I would love to see variations. maybe the lowest one is a weak/inaccurate laser that can only hit missles, then you can find it in a stronger/more accurate form, then a seperate ICX that specializes in hitting kinetic/blast projectiles, and maybe a rare ICX that uses hard ammo (maybe like a modified morningstar spread) to absorb energy shots, and the rarest would be an ICX that does everything.

I have often thought that Projectiles, especially missles and rockets should have some form of protection. For example it may take more than one hit to gun down certain incoming fire. Thus defensive turrets that put out more "damage" or fire faster would be valuable.

Ion Reflection Cyrystals. I have four in my current game(just before Point Juno). With the Nephren X1(level IX, 140hp) I can sit in the middle of Ares, Ventari, and Luminous, and not get hurt(perhaps only by micronukes). The RANX still kill me, but in the later stage of the game there are no Ranx. I suggest one or both of the following.

1. Do partial damage types exist? A solution if implemented would be to have the ares lightning cannon(and similar weapons) cause a small amount of plasma/thermo damage(say, 10-20% total) in addition to the current ion damage that is currently implemented.

2. Make these crystals two or three times more rare.
Frits
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Agreed the ionreflecting crystals seem overpowered but this is due to the ships you're likely to encounter lategame. Don't change the item but let the player deal with different types of damage to level that out.

The Longzhu sphere is the best item to be found, it can do 3 things for you. Altho i only used it once for fuel and never again.
the_holy_thom
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Thats a good point Frits - use more damage types late game. Even if you have Ion reflection, you still fear a ranx dread. More Thermo, Blast and even anti matter would make a nice challenge. This could make some harder capships too
Need a mod? Transcendence Mods

antimatter? the sung and ringers are the only present races that can use antimatterships too, and the sung don't even equip the QAC to any of thier ships.
the_holy_thom
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

That doesnt mean there cant be any, I was making a suggestion. They normally deal with things that currently arent in the game :P

Theres no logical reason why the sung dont use the QAC, so they could have a huge, rare capship with it and a few other goodies equipped for late game fun. Or the luminous could have a capship that uses it. More varied damage types late game would make you more vulnerable instead of just a floating fortress.
Need a mod? Transcendence Mods