Learning to Programming using Transcendence

General discussion about anything related to Transcendence.
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

Darth Saber wrote:May I be permitted to offer my services? I have written a few tutorials on modding, and have been trained in entry level web design by Penn Foster Career School, graduating last year with a career diploma in the same. I also learned much of HTML programming and the use of tags from modding Transcendence, before enrolling at Penn Foster, so I attribute at least part of my success to the game and its noble creator (that's you, George).
I can't tell you how happy that makes me. Thank you for sharing!
Datal
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

Ok,nobody said nothing so I will do averything to make this game/forum better. :D :P
And I will order STICKERS
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

Datal wrote:Ok,nobody said nothing so I will do averything to make this game/forum better. :D :P
All I want to say is, "Thank you!"
Datal
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

george moromisato wrote:
Datal wrote:Ok,nobody said nothing so I will do averything to make this game/forum better. :D :P
All I want to say is, "Thank you!"

Your welcome :D

Can I do something else for Transcendence game ?
Greetings :D
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I am really wondering if we should rename this to the "George's happiness" thread. :D
dosbox-gamer
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Hello, sorry it's been awhile,

IMHO, I think this is a really great idea. I know my own coding has suffered of late because, there is only so much you can really learn from borrowing the scripting of others. (Having the forums to dig through also helps, but only if you have the time and patience to really dig for something.)

Maybe this could be offered in parts: a free/donation Level-1 primer, and then a paid Level-2+ intermediate program with cirricula and such? Just my two cents.
"Make no little plans. They have no magic to stir men's blood and probably will not themselves be realized." -- Daniel Hudson Burnham, architect & urban planner
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Certainly something to think about, but I want to get most of the content done before I try to make anything of it. and ideally at least some of the money needs to go back to the game its self. But that is still to be determined if it even will be sold.

I know today on IRC RPC and discussed some ideas including having the people in this community write their skills. e.g. programming, graphics, storyline.

But the project has slowed quite a bit recently because real life decided to conflict with online life. I'm hoping to get this really going soon but likely it will start during the summer months. It seems thats when most people are free - I can assume school. :)
mistere
Miner
Miner

I think it's a awesome idea. I took a year of programming in 2003 and quit because I hated thinking like a computer. For some people it's no problem, but for me it was like thinking in French half the time, and you're like "what's the word for- wait I'm speaking english- "... "If tacos = 0 then Piizza= true"..."Wait...what?" :?

So I still have a hard time getting my head around some of the programming in XML like transcendence, but I think it's a FANTASTIC path for an introduction to programming, and the prime motivatioin for many programmers is to make a great creation, and for many of us that means very good video games :D

So a tutorial helping beginners learn to make something spectacularly awesome, would be great. With the flexibility of the code and modding system, and the UNID system, I think there is potential for it to do that and be a highly valuable aid/resource for education on programming.

I used to think that games like Sid Meir's Civilisation, and Master Of Orion and a few others were the most original and innovative creations for their time- as evidenced by their many copy-cats. But I think that Transcendence and the mod system that George has so graciously given us, is arguably the best thing since Pong started the whole thing. As an avid gamer since early childhood(Super Mario anyone?), I have to say it blows past most games, and is the cream of the crop in both freeware, open source, and commercial gaming; and that's saying something.

This and the ability to "make it your own" via add-ons and mods, in my opinion would make it a prime candidate for encouraging young people to develop programming skills. I'd like to see a comprehensive Transcendence Developer guide eBook tutorial and think it's an excellent idea.