Insurance: Blessing or Curse?

General discussion about anything related to Transcendence.
Resident-Pyromaniac
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Welp. I am so ticked. So, I had a perfect playthru in order. all three possible wingmen, the Pm6 slicer cannon, Lucifer missiles, things were looking good.

But, What if went downhill from there? so I purchased some insurance. and like three seconds later, in an assault on a sung fortress, Volkov got obliterated. so, I Selfdestruct, but I'm insured. so I blew 10,000 Cr. on insurance AND lost Volkov.

I'm sticking to my usual strategy of esc + 2 before going into a fight. Insurance is a Curse, in my opinion.
If Transcendence was made in 3D, I would die of Happiness.

If you are reading this, then I have planted a deadly virus into your CPU. (not really, but you can never be too careful.)
Drako Slyith
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer
Location: Researching how to make St. Kats star go supernova.

I agree. Insurance is only helpful on permadeath games. Otherwise it just causes you to lose money when you self destruct. It also means that if you had a very bad mission or something, you can't restart it.
Play in over 100 systems in a network. Play the 2011 Mod Of the Year
and the highest rated mod on Xelerus, The Network.
Play the July Mod of the Month, Fellow Pilgrims!
Play My other mods as well
(Drako Slyith)* I am a person
(Eliza chatbot)> Do you believe it is normal to be a person?
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I don't find Insurance that bad unless your trying to promote the slave trade and then you get resureccted and can't dock anywhere. :D
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Another bad thing about insurance is their stations can crowd out other possible station spawns. I had games where multiple insurance stations spawned in a given system.
Download and Play in 1.9 beta 1...
Drake Technologies (Alpha): More hardware for combat in parts 1 and 2!
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!
Playership Drones: Buy or restore exotic ships to command!

Other playable mods from 1.8 and 1.7, waiting to be updated...
Godmode v3 (WIP): Dev/cheat tool compatible with D&O parts 1 or 2.
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

On the other hand in a permadeath game it's more than worth it.

I'd still like it out of random spawns though. I only buy it once and the fixed spawn at Rigel is timed about right for that.
Literally is the new Figuratively
Amariithynar
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

I'd much, much, much rather skip insurance entirely even in a permadeath game than have them clogging up station slots. I had to go from St. K's all the way to Jiang's Star with a 100 MW reactor because there were never any drydocks or other places selling anything other than weapons. I had a Fusionfire howitzer before I had a reactor I could fire it with without disabling absolutely everything else... That was NOT fun. How many insurance stations spawned? 11. It was ludicrous.
stealthx
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Amariithynar wrote:I'd much, much, much rather skip insurance entirely even in a permadeath game than have them clogging up station slots. I had to go from St. K's all the way to Jiang's Star with a 100 MW reactor because there were never any drydocks or other places selling anything other than weapons. I had a Fusionfire howitzer before I had a reactor I could fire it with without disabling absolutely everything else... That was NOT fun. How many insurance stations spawned? 11. It was ludicrous.
I think the insurance station should have more services and goods other than selling insurance, because I don't think it makes economic sense to build such a large station just for it. In real life big buildings are rented out to many other businesses that provides other goods and services as well (there is certainly a niche).
Be the hope of humanity. Be a Gundam Meister.
shanejfilomena
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

There is a MOd that adds Dock Services to the Corporate Enclaves: I would think it could be adapted to the Insurance company.
Note: there is a dock screen issue with that mod: or at least in my game I could not back out of the Maintenance shop after it was in : had to hit esc to go back to the main screen : so if you do adapt the code for your game trials, be wary of that.
I remember the early games I played where I entered a system: hostile, the only " safe" places were two Insurance stations,, one by each gate: that was when I learned that there is no help at those stations........I got out of that system intact, but not because of the Insurance station!
Flying Irresponsibly In Eridani......

I don't like to kill pirates in cold blood ..I do it.. but I don't like it..
Amariithynar
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

...You've obviously never seen a real insurance building. >.o We have this one massive structure that's devoted purely to a single insurance company, right beside another. Each individually is larger than the parlamentary building they're beside. It's just grotesque.

That said, honestly I think EVERY station should at least have refuel as an option.
shanejfilomena
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Amariithynar wrote:...You've obviously never seen a real insurance building. >.o We have this one massive structure that's devoted purely to a single insurance company, right beside another. Each individually is larger than the parlamentary building they're beside. It's just grotesque.
That said, honestly I think EVERY station should at least have refuel as an option.
I tried this morning to get Clavis to give me a dock service / fuel option: several times before I realized the Clavis code I had was Corrupted ( no idea how or why, I never opened it before and rarely go to them outside the official game version because I fly a Corporate Transport outside of the Official game version )

Anyway: I did find http://xelerus.de/index.php?s=mod&id=526 for you: hope it's helpful

Drako Slyith
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer
Location: Researching how to make St. Kats star go supernova.

clavis doesn't have dock services.
Play in over 100 systems in a network. Play the 2011 Mod Of the Year
and the highest rated mod on Xelerus, The Network.
Play the July Mod of the Month, Fellow Pilgrims!
Play My other mods as well
(Drako Slyith)* I am a person
(Eliza chatbot)> Do you believe it is normal to be a person?
RPC
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Location: Hmm... I'm confused. Anybody have a starmap to the Core?

Atarlost wrote:On the other hand in a permadeath game it's more than worth it.
Translating to:
Curse to save-scummers.
Boon to permadeath players.
I guess this is an unexpected consequence of adding insurance to the game :lol:
Tutorial List on the Wiki and Installing Mods
Get on Discord for mod help and general chat
Der Tod ist der zeitlose Frieden und das leben ist der Krieg
Wir müssen wissen — wir werden wissen!
I don't want any sort of copyright on my Transcendence mods. Feel free to take/modify whatever you want.
shanejfilomena
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

I guess this is an unexpected consequence of adding insurance to the game :lol:
we are flesh eating rabbits tonight.........and "no" Clavis does not have dock services: but they could have the refuel action in the station.
I have used Insurance on the Freighter , if it made it that far to buy it : but never for other ships because they are fighting ships by design.Free resurrections are Cheating in my game.I have taken out the ICS with the freighter, without using the Insurance I purchased , but have never tried to do it twice.

Insurance does not restore anything not on the ship....just in case anybody forgot.

Aury
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Location: Somewhere in the Frontier on a Hycrotan station, working on new ships.

I never use it myself... and yeah, they do really crowd up the spawn lists.
(shpOrder gPlayership 'barrelRoll)
(plySetGenome gPlayer (list 'Varalyn 'nonBinary))
Homelab Servers: Xeon Silver 4110, 16GB | Via Quadcore C4650, 16GB | Athlon 200GE, 8GB | i7 7800X, 32GB | Threadripper 1950X, 32GB | Atom x5 8350, 4GB | Opteron 8174, 16GB | Xeon E5 2620 v3, 8GB | 2x Xeon Silver 4116, 96GB, 2x 1080ti | i7 8700, 32GB, 6500XT
Workstations & Render machines: Threadripper 3990X, 128GB, 6900XT | Threadripper 2990WX, 32GB, 1080ti | Xeon Platinum 8173M, 48GB, 1070ti | R9 3900X, 16GB, Vega64 | 2x E5 2430L v2, 24GB, 970 | R7 3700X, 32GB, A6000
Gaming Systems: R9 5950X, 32GB, 6700XT
Office Systems: Xeon 5318Y, 256GB, A4000
Misc Systems: R5 3500U, 20GB | R5 2400G, 16GB | i5 7640X, 16GB, Vega56 | E5 2620, 8GB, R5 260 | P4 1.8ghz, 0.75GB, Voodoo 5 5500 | Athlon 64 x2 4400+, 1.5GB, FX 5800 Ultra | Pentium D 3.2ghz, 4GB, 7600gt | Celeron g460, 8GB, 730gt | 2x Athlon FX 74, 8GB, 8800gts 512 | FX 9590, 16GB, R9 295x2 | E350, 8GB | Phenom X4 2.6ghz, 16GB, 8800gt | random core2 duo/atom/i5/i7 laptops
erik dela cruz
Militia Captain
Militia Captain
Location: Patrolling Scarborough Shoal and the Spratlys Islands (West Philippine Sea)

Replying to the above mentioned topic, it's a curse in the game (also in reality). In Clavius, a players' risk profile depend upon the number of resurrections he's gone thru every system. Last time I tried it after being remunerated once, premium goes up 500% afterwards.

At least in the game you're paid for easily. :roll:
Last edited by erik dela cruz on Fri May 06, 2011 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
.....cry without weeping......
.....talk without speaking......
.....scream without raising your voice......