Are mods needed for best game experience?

General discussion about anything related to Transcendence.
JiggyPiggy
Anarchist
Anarchist

I am new to this game and still have a lot to learn about it. I heard that it was modable and that there were a bunch already made. What I would like to know is, do the mods make the game easier or harder? Are there some mods that are considered standard and might be included in next official release?

I saw there were a lot of mods for armor, weapons, and other items. Do they just expand the game, or tend to make it too easy?

Are there mods that change the theme of the game? Do some mods make the game goofy? Is there a recommendation on which mods fit the actual game universe and do not hurt balance?
evilbob
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

mods, you say?
well, I've made some mods which I hope fit into the game balance...

to be honest, I'd recommend playing without mods for a while, then trying a few to see what you like...
Yugi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

I'm an experienced modder too, having made a lot of mods.
Mods can change quite a large amount of stuff in-game. They can add new weapons, shields, armors, other devices, stations, ships (playable and non-playable), and even entire sovereigns (races).
If you want to start learning, there are a number of people that can and are willing to help you here and there, or fully teach you. I'd help you here and there, and Evilbob (I believe) is currently looking for people to teach.
We here on the official and the unofficial forums will also help you, either by post or PM.
evilbob
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

garr! damn your better explaining ability!
Yugi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

List? :?