Control Change?

General discussion about anything related to Transcendence.
Lmoy
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

I'm sure this is already on here somewhere, but I can't seem to find it.
I need to change Transcendence's controls, because I use a Dvorak keyboard. This makes the targeting program awkward to use, because the T, R and F keys are too far apart.
If someone could tell me how to change these, it would be greatly appreciated :)
sdw195
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

just edit the settings.xml file in notepad, and change the key bindings :)
you will find it in the main trans folder
"Dash_Merc - George is a genius, in that he created this game engine that is infinitely extendable"
"<@sheepluva>Good night everybody, may the source be with you." <-- FOSG dev
"You only need THREE tools in life - WD-40 to make things go, Duct Tape to make things stop And C-4 to make things go away"
Lmoy
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Ah, thanks :P
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Do you by chance do some tech stuff? Because I've only ever seen people who use Dvorak who happen to also be tech enthusiasts. :)
erik dela cruz
Militia Captain
Militia Captain
Location: Patrolling Scarborough Shoal and the Spratlys Islands (West Philippine Sea)

sdw195 wrote:just edit the settings.xml file in notepad, and change the key bindings :)
sdw195 can this help me in my posting problem? You see I'm using an HP minilaptop that won't cooperate with a simple CTRL+C and CTRL+V command and won't even change tabs with Alt+ Tab.
.....cry without weeping......
.....talk without speaking......
.....scream without raising your voice......
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

erik dela cruz wrote:
sdw195 wrote:just edit the settings.xml file in notepad, and change the key bindings :)
sdw195 can this help me in my posting problem? You see I'm using an HP minilaptop that won't cooperate with a simple CTRL+C and CTRL+V command and won't even change tabs with Alt+ Tab.

I suspect that is something else is going on there, you can post your configuration, but alt tab is operating system not game.
Bobby
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

It won't work ctrl+c? my guess is:

1. you have another key, perhaps alt, windows, or shift, which windows thinks is down, press them all and see if it fixes it.
2. you have some piece of software that is preventing that combination from working (autohotkey for example is capable of blocking keys, or changing what they do).
3. you have a dead left control key, try using the right side? (I know that's my problem, I also have a dead tilde, f1, apostrophe, and up arrow, which I use autohotkey to compensate for)
ImageImage
Thanks to digdug for the banners.
Lmoy
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Ttech wrote:Do you by chance do some tech stuff? Because I've only ever seen people who use Dvorak who happen to also be tech enthusiasts. :)
No, I just switched over to Dvorak because I like it more :D
It's just easier to type with.
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

That is a first, I've never seen someone in general take the step but awesome for you to do it. :)
erik dela cruz
Militia Captain
Militia Captain
Location: Patrolling Scarborough Shoal and the Spratlys Islands (West Philippine Sea)

Bobby wrote:It won't work ctrl+c? my guess is:

1. you have another key, perhaps alt, windows, or shift, which windows thinks is down, press them all and see if it fixes it.
2. you have some piece of software that is preventing that combination from working (autohotkey for example is capable of blocking keys, or changing what they do).
3. you have a dead left control key, try using the right side? (I know that's my problem, I also have a dead tilde, f1, apostrophe, and up arrow, which I use autohotkey to compensate for)
Thanks Bobby, I'll surely try them all. :D
erik dela cruz
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Bobby wrote:It won't work ctrl+c? my guess is:

Thank you very much Bobby. The right control key worked fine! Whew.
Maybe because I always use the right wing of the keyboard, the cursor keys a lot so I overlooked using it most times. Many thanks. :D
bluesaberist
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Lmoy wrote:
Ttech wrote:Do you by chance do some tech stuff? Because I've only ever seen people who use Dvorak who happen to also be tech enthusiasts. :)
No, I just switched over to Dvorak because I like it more :D
It's just easier to type with.

At the same time, people who are moderately informed, and even many considered to be computer "geniuses" or geeks don't consider themselves that way because they also know about the real geniuses and geeks who completely outclass them. Thus they a quick to assure you that they are no techy, geek, or genius, when in fact, they are easily more so than 80% of computer users.

I also fit into this group. I have a friend who pretty much considers me a geek, and several people in the community turn to me for PC help. But I know that my dad and uncle so severely outclass me that it is difficult to consider myself anything more than a so-called power-user.
If you drop a bar of soap on the ground, is it dirty?
If a person is legally blind, and can suddenly see, is he breaking the law?
If a friend says he's going outside to get some air, what was he breathing before?
-Brad Stein
Aquilai
Anarchist
Anarchist

Sorry about necroing a thread practically 6 years gone but I stumbled onto the same issue.
For future reference, anyone who wants to use the dvorak keymap should be able to replace the KeyMap layout='custom' section with the below code inside the Settings.xml file.

Code: Select all

<KeyMap layout='custom'>
		<Map key="LButton" command="FireWeapon"/>
		<Map key="RButton" command="ThrustForward"/>
		<Map key="Tab" command="NextMissile"/>
		<Map key="Return" command="FireMissile"/>
		<Map key="Shift" command="FireMissile"/>
		<Map key="Control" command="FireWeapon"/>
		<Map key="Pause" command="Pause"/>
		<Map key="Space" command="FireWeapon"/>
		<Map key="Left" command="RotateLeft"/>
		<Map key="Up" command="ThrustForward"/>