Human Ship Origins

General discussion about anything related to Transcendence.
DSMK2
Anarchist
Anarchist

Hm, been wondering this while playing Transcendence: Where do all the civilian human ships come from? I'll break down my question into some number of parts below.
  • Who are the companies/corporations that manufactures the human ships we see in Commonwealth Space?
  • Are they based anywhere specific? Or are they contained/built in the stations we see in-game (stations lease ship plans)?
  • How are new ships transported from system to system? (If ship fabricators are not contained within stations)
  • Is there any requirements needed to be able to pilot a ship? (Pilots license)
  • How much does the common ship cost for a common human colonist?
Moving on... How do pirates get their ships and stations?
Drako Slyith
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer
Location: Researching how to make St. Kats star go supernova.

Several ships are built on Earth, such as the zulus and such. The millitary ships are built by Pacifica Drive Yards. Ships are also built by companies such as Makyev(sp?), etc. Pirates probably either steal their ships plans from stations or steal the ships themselves. They build the ships from scrap, I expect. (Hornets were military ships in the Syrtian war)

That's my best guesses, but the rest we should probably wait for George's word on.
Play in over 100 systems in a network. Play the 2011 Mod Of the Year
and the highest rated mod on Xelerus, The Network.
Play the July Mod of the Month, Fellow Pilgrims!
Play My other mods as well
(Drako Slyith)* I am a person
(Eliza chatbot)> Do you believe it is normal to be a person?
shanejfilomena
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Drako Slyith wrote: (Hornets were military ships in the Syrtian war)
I am guessing they lost that war :)

Shipyards do exist: Ares has the most visible ones for the regular games : I am HUGE on shipyards:)
I had this same kind of questioning, just not so detailed.....so to answer it I made shipyards, repair ships, and "scavenging pilgrims"
( basically increased the # of ships you see flying around checking wrecks besides the salvagers ).

but the Main Ideal is the story line and you are right: we do need to get Official shipyards making these ships AND I would like to see a ship "up on blocks" from pirates taking parts : that would = "interesting".Too bad I am no good with the images like these Artists around here in the forums.
Flying Irresponsibly In Eridani......

I don't like to kill pirates in cold blood ..I do it.. but I don't like it..
Aury
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Location: Somewhere in the Frontier on a Hycrotan station, working on new ships.

In vanilla:

Pacifica makes exclusively combat ships, and almost all the fleet's ships at that, though EI and NAMI make the CSCs
Taikon (theoretically) makes the corporate cruiser, and with the ringers makes the corporate explorers (I think because one of them has a positron lancer is why the ringers got included).
Makayev makes a lot of freighters and some combat ships (like the manticore)
EI makes a lot of freighters too, all prefixed with 'EI' and followed by numbers. (EI100). They also made the hornets for the syrtian war, but that idea was a complete flop (not enough pilots)
NAMI makes the scarab superfreighter

A lot of the actual other states tend to make their own ships, such as the sung, or ares. Some though, like the outlaws, just use cheap and commonly available ships, like the UAS ships (it is currently unknown if UAS is defunct or not; george has not gotten back to clarify that plot discontinuity)
(shpOrder gPlayership 'barrelRoll)
(plySetGenome gPlayer (list 'Varalyn 'nonBinary))
Homelab Servers: Xeon Silver 4110, 16GB | Via Quadcore C4650, 16GB | Athlon 200GE, 8GB | i7 7800X, 32GB | Threadripper 1950X, 32GB | Atom x5 8350, 4GB | Opteron 8174, 16GB | Xeon E5 2620 v3, 8GB | 2x Xeon Silver 4116, 96GB, 2x 1080ti | i7 8700, 32GB, 6500XT
Workstations & Render machines: Threadripper 3990X, 128GB, 6900XT | Threadripper 2990WX, 32GB, 1080ti | Xeon Platinum 8173M, 48GB, 1070ti | R9 3900X, 16GB, Vega64 | 2x E5 2430L v2, 24GB, 970 | R7 3700X, 32GB, A6000
Gaming Systems: R9 5950X, 32GB, 6700XT
Office Systems: Xeon 5318Y, 256GB, A4000
Misc Systems: R5 3500U, 20GB | R5 2400G, 16GB | i5 7640X, 16GB, Vega56 | E5 2620, 8GB, R5 260 | P4 1.8ghz, 0.75GB, Voodoo 5 5500 | Athlon 64 x2 4400+, 1.5GB, FX 5800 Ultra | Pentium D 3.2ghz, 4GB, 7600gt | Celeron g460, 8GB, 730gt | 2x Athlon FX 74, 8GB, 8800gts 512 | FX 9590, 16GB, R9 295x2 | E350, 8GB | Phenom X4 2.6ghz, 16GB, 8800gt | random core2 duo/atom/i5/i7 laptops
DSMK2
Anarchist
Anarchist

Can I assume that enemy outlaw ships are usually older deprecated models, or ships still in production? I can see many uses for a T31 Armed Transport outside of drug trafficking. But still, how are the ships "given" to their prospective pilots?

I can now dream of having technical readouts a la Battletech style for each ship. Is there any sticky or thread that compiles the T-Universe background?
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

The outlaw ships are all from the defunct UAS except maybe the Meth Enforcer.
Literally is the new Figuratively
Resident-Pyromaniac
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

@DSMK2: looks like I'm not the only one who thinks T could learn something from Mechwarrior. but, there is no area where you can see the ship descriptions apart from the start screen. (with the exception of Playership Drones.)

I'm seriously thinking that Playership Drones was a good Idea, but didn't take it far enough; the Shipyards should sell, produce, and buy ships and their ship parts. Not just sell ship drones. (another thought, why don't other factions asides from the ringers, ares, and CW have shipyards?)
If Transcendence was made in 3D, I would die of Happiness.

If you are reading this, then I have planted a deadly virus into your CPU. (not really, but you can never be too careful.)
erik dela cruz
Militia Captain
Militia Captain
Location: Patrolling Scarborough Shoal and the Spratlys Islands (West Philippine Sea)

Hey even the Battle Arena makes Manticores, right?
.....cry without weeping......
.....talk without speaking......
.....scream without raising your voice......
Lmoy
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Out of curiosity, what does NAMI stand for?
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Its a company I believe.
Lmoy
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Ttech wrote:Its a company I believe.
I know that but what do the letters stand for?
DSMK2
Anarchist
Anarchist

@Resident-Pyromaniac: Detailing each ship at the start screen would add in nice amounts of background info. Though it's not the only place that's possible, remember Korolov shipping? They have technical readouts on Charon pirates, should be possible to have a military Commonwealth ship database that covers everything the player meets, excluding some "unique" ships.

- Repeating myself... Sorry! -

I still want to know how non-military ships are diffused through out human space, I don't think prospective pilots wait at a shipyard. UAS also seems to "market" ships, particularly the borer-class gunships towards (mostly lawful) miners, but it also sells(?) many ships to outlaws... Or if it's defunct, where are the ships coming from? Argh!
shanejfilomena
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Ttech wrote:Its a company I believe.
"NAMI's Cyclotron deflectors absorb a lot of damage, but take more time to regenerate."
YES It appears to be a Company but if you want to SEE it it might show up in 2380 if I remember.
erik dela cruz wrote:Hey even the Battle Arena makes Manticores, right?
they do not have a listed Manufacturer, to default it would be a Corporate contract built ship because it is associated with Corporate.
the Arena is also Corporate operated.
Flying Irresponsibly In Eridani......

I don't like to kill pirates in cold blood ..I do it.. but I don't like it..
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

They are just a big corporation and it appears from nowhere? Sounds right to me... Looks oddly at Google
Lmoy
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

I realise that NAMI is a company, and that they make all manner of shields and weaponry and ships, but why are the letters (NAMI) capitalised? Do they stand for anything?