Stargates

General discussion about anything related to Transcendence.
Lmoy
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Since the stargates are the only practical method of traveling between star systems, wouldn't the majority of a system's population be as close to the stargate as possible? The way it is now, most of a system's stations are built far from the stargates.
In real life, almost all cities are built right next to and around available transportation.
St. Lawrence river, for example. Being the easiest way to get deep into Canada, most of Canada's original settlements were founded along it.
And holding the stargates should be a major strategic advantage in the event of a war (for obvious reasons), and yet nobody makes any effort to take any control of the gates. Except for the Huari. And then only in Huaramarca.
digdug
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I believe that Humans are still bound to Planets. Stations should be around those, because people live and use planet resources.
But then, you have probably a good point about the strategic military defenses: I wouldn't be too surprised to see turrets and defense stations sitting right next to stargates in Eridani and St Kathrine, currently the only 2 stargates with signs alerting travellers of dangers.

And those signs too can explain why stargates are not controlled, as most systems are mostly void, and/or contain only small human factions, which are not a trouble to Commonwealth or Corporates.

[EDIT]
An Ares or Ranx blocked stargate could be an interesting mini-boss, now that I think about it.
RPC
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Location: Hmm... I'm confused. Anybody have a starmap to the Core?

Actually, I posted a while ago about a similar topic: if humans can "lock" stargates. I forgot what the answer was, but now that I think about it, patrolling the stargate is the next best thing. I would imagine that the primary suspects of gate patrolling would be the CW, Ares and possibly the Dwarg and Sung.
Tutorial List on the Wiki and Installing Mods
Get on Discord for mod help and general chat
Der Tod ist der zeitlose Frieden und das leben ist der Krieg
Wir müssen wissen — wir werden wissen!
I don't want any sort of copyright on my Transcendence mods. Feel free to take/modify whatever you want.
Lmoy
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Locking and unlocking the stargates appears to be something only the Iocrym (and whatever created them) can control.
Turrets around the gates would be a good idea though.
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I think it would be the Ancient races are the ones who can unlock and lock gates.