Running Transcendence on Wine

General discussion about anything related to Transcendence.
Dash_Merc
Anarchist
Anarchist

I have it running very nicely in Wine. It almost never crashes, and performance is pretty good.

I have a Late 2007 MacBook Pro with an Intel Core2Duo 2.4 GHz, 4GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, running OS X 10.6.8.

I just installed Wine according to these instructions:

http://davidbaumgold.com/tutorials/wine-mac/

I am unsure if it works in stock Wine, though. I have a custom kernel32.dll.so so I can run SubSpace/Continuum, and that could be what makes Transcendence run, too. I don't know.

Try it on stock Wine, and see how it works out. If it doesn't work, PM me or reply to this post, and I'll upload the custom kernel replacement. I even made a nice little Transcendence.app package that I double-click on, which runs an Applescript, which opens the Terminal and tells Wine to run Transcendence. It's pretty slick and seamless after you get through the initial installation procedure for Wine.

Also, differing from stock OS X, I don't use X11, I use XQuartz. Apple's built-in X11 hasn't been updated in years, and is lacking many necessary bugfixes, which XQuartz implements.

Anyway...after installing Wine, download Transcendence (either 1.01 from the main Download page, or 1.06a from the forum post -- both work fine). Unzip it, then copy it to ~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/ so the resulting file path will be ~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Trans106a or whatever you would prefer. You don't actually have to copy it in there, but I like to keep my Windows apps all in one place, and that is that place.

Then, to run it, open a Terminal and type:

Code: Select all

wine "~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Trans106a/Transcendence.exe"
...and blammo, Transcendence on a Mac.

To open ~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/ in the Finder so you can just drag and drop the folder from your Downloads folder into the Wine Program Files folder, press Shift + Command + G or go to the Go menu in Finder and choose "Go to Folder...", and enter "~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files" in the box that pops up. you must do it this way because ~/.wine is a hidden folder, and unless you've enabled display of hidden folders in OS X, you cannot navigate to it directly through the Finder.

As for the nice .app I've mentioned, if there is interest, I will upload that as well. It works based on the filepath being "~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Trans106a/Transcendence.exe", but it's easy enough to modify if you're willing.

Should I start a new thread about this? I'm realising that I've typed a whole lot of info about this, and kinda hijacked this Linux port thread.
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Transcendence will and has worked fine in Wine, on Macs its a a little funky trying to launch it as it goes full screen but Mac OS X does not register it being full screen. But if you've figured that one out, sweet.
alterecco
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Nice guide. I suggest that it gets placed on the wiki. I too run T under wine and have been doing so for years. I use the stock wine though, under linux. As for issues with fullscreen etc, just pass it the flags to run it windowed. Unless that js not how you want to run it...
Get your own Galactic Omni Device
Get it now. It's free!!
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

If anyone can tweak Wine for linux so it gets the graphics and sound right, I think several of us would be really grateful.
Mischievous local moderator. She/Her pronouns.
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I wouldn't be opposed to a wiki page in the Community section. :)
Dash_Merc
Anarchist
Anarchist

I would be glad to do a proper write-up and place this on the wiki. How do I do that, and where do I go to get it done?
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Dash_Merc wrote:I would be glad to do a proper write-up and place this on the wiki. How do I do that, and where do I go to get it done?

http://wiki.neurohack.com/transcendence ... ce-on-wine or http://wiki.neurohack.com/transcendence ... unity/wine would work!
If you don't have your wiki account activated, just get on irc and one of us can activate it. :)
Dash_Merc
Anarchist
Anarchist

Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Dash_Merc wrote:Wiki article is here: http://wiki.neurohack.com/transcendence ... ce-on-wine :D

I don't know about anyone else but you used proper namespace, used good wiki formatting, you made the items easy to understand but full of information. I'm impressed! It looks like a great guide! Could you have guessed that? I'll do a *nix one same style sometime this week.

Though you might want to check out Wine Bottler - http://winebottler.kronenberg.org/
add some information on that one since you have a mac. I can't really test it.
alterecco
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Looks great. One small gripe though... commmunity is only with 2 m's :)
Get your own Galactic Omni Device
Get it now. It's free!!
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

How is it that you were the only one to catch the spelling? Damn. haha
mistere
Miner
Miner

Now if only someone could make it run on my handheld N800(either of them :wink: )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_N800

It runs a version of linux called Maemo that Nokia developed. Not having a keyboard and other things(400mhz), would make it a bit involved and slow perhaps. (There is a xkbd keyboard that can be installed and probably work though) Although it runs fine(except when there's a buttload of action) on my 500mhz laptop.

But that would be cool. Handheld Transcendence :D
Dash_Merc
Anarchist
Anarchist

Ttech,

Thanks for the praise. I checked out the "edit view" of other articles to learn how to do the header divisions and stuff. I'm familiar with BBCode used in PHPBB forums, so it wasn't a big stretch. Beyond that, my day-job is as a support technician, so writing (or speaking) clear instructions is the most important skill for me to have right now. :P

I've played with Winebottler and stuff, but they all seem to be more complicated to use than either Wine or Crossover. Crossover has a nice and thorough GUI and powerful tools at its disposal. Wine has infinite instructions everywhere on the web, and most of what you need is right at-hand. I have found Winebottler and PlayOnMac and other similar apps to be rather unwieldy to figure out, and even moreso, to troubleshoot.

For the *nix guide, I left room for that at the top of my article, if you want to use that space. I figured having one page for general Wine coverage was better than separate pages for each platform.