Ventauri...The First Encounter

General discussion about anything related to Transcendence.
Deltax
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Hello, i have recently found this game and have grown quite fond of it, so i was playing the game and was exploring the sleng system when i found a ventauri colony with 2 ventauri destroyers circling it, i destroyed the colony from afar with my fusion fire howitzer. The 2 destroyers then came after me so i fled to the nearest station and sat on a planet to avoid there fire, i then found out that the station guards where barely hurting there shields so i helped them destroy the vessels only to have my shields rapidly taken out then my devices becoming damaged one after the other. By the time we had destroyed the 2 vessels 10 out of 13 of my devices were damaged including my reactor :shock: , so i self destructed and resurrected as none of the stations could repair my broken devices.

So i was wondering, what can i do to counter the ventauri's device damaging weapons besides avoiding them, i know sooner or later i will have to face them and they will completely own me when i do.
sdw195
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

welcome Deltax,

i think that the device damage will ware off eventually (in the newer versions of the game) but imo the best way to deal with them is to just avoid engaging them and if you find a tinker they can repair stuff for a fee (or just get a mod for it) :)
"Dash_Merc - George is a genius, in that he created this game engine that is infinitely extendable"
"<@sheepluva>Good night everybody, may the source be with you." <-- FOSG dev
"You only need THREE tools in life - WD-40 to make things go, Duct Tape to make things stop And C-4 to make things go away"
Deltax
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Thank you for your response sdw, i was hoping there was a kind of shield or armor immune to there weapons but i haven't found any such thing yet. The destroyers are fairly easy to outrun, i just hope they don't have a small fast craft with the same kind of weapon.
shanejfilomena
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Deltax wrote:Thank you for your response sdw, i was hoping there was a kind of shield or armor immune to there weapons but i haven't found any such thing yet. The destroyers are fairly easy to outrun, i just hope they don't have a small fast craft with the same kind of weapon.
since you met the Ventari : you could use some tools:
I actually do not use missiles in my games, but the disposable missile rack is always interesting.
besides Missiles
Sung armor is probably the easiest to obtain : this and some other armors offer device protection .
While the Disruptor is an Ion weapon, Ion reflecting armor or shield is not a sure bet because the weapon's intention is to paralyze and weaken the target by damaging weapons and other devices.

Another defense is friendly stations :) I would take shots at the Ventari and get them to chase after me : right into the waiting guns of a friendly station :) that is called "farming" I collect enough loot from the wrecks to better arm myself and THEN I can get close enough to the Ventari station and take it out.

as you shop the various stations and encounter new items: while I will not suggest you try on strange things unless you are in a "safe" area ; you will find many specially designed armors and shields that many players swear by as the best defense : many say the ( NephrenP25 ) is awesome others like the (X1). It all depends on how you fly : I fly pretty dangerous, but I built two Insurance companies, Im not scared :)
Flying Irresponsibly In Eridani......

I don't like to kill pirates in cold blood ..I do it.. but I don't like it..
RPC
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Location: Hmm... I'm confused. Anybody have a starmap to the Core?

Deltax wrote:just hope they don't have a small fast craft with the same kind of weapon.
That's a great idea for Dynamic Systems! :D

btw, there are "[barrel(s) of ]dyon dust" that make your ship ion effect immune.
Unfortunately, I did not find an armortype that was immune :(
I have Bobby's repair droids as a mod because of the Ventari. The advanced repair droid can repair devices up to level 12 IIRC. I highly recommend repair droids since the other option is the Almighty Wrench, and the wrench tends to change the game on a fundamental level while the droids do not (they function more like a better patch spider than as a source of cash).

oh, and welcome to the forums Deltax! :D
EDIT: there are no gunships with device damage yet in Vanilla, so your worst fear has yet to come true. :twisted:
Tutorial List on the Wiki and Installing Mods
Get on Discord for mod help and general chat
Der Tod ist der zeitlose Frieden und das leben ist der Krieg
Wir müssen wissen — wir werden wissen!
I don't want any sort of copyright on my Transcendence mods. Feel free to take/modify whatever you want.
shanejfilomena
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

RPC wrote:
Deltax wrote:just hope they don't have a small fast craft with the same kind of weapon.
That's a great idea for Dynamic Systems! :D

btw, there are "[barrel(s) of ]dyon dust" that make your ship ion effect immune.
Unfortunately, I did not find an armortype that was immune :(

EDIT: there are no gunships with device damage yet in Vanilla, so your worst fear has yet to come true. :twisted:

My bad: I totally forgot about Dyon Dust !! : AND there is also ion resistance coating:
but there are usually an " unknown Barrel " so you actually have to experiment to find those ::UNLESS you find a corporate trading post and order the barrels THEN you get the right stuff without experimenting.

Gunships with a similar weapon: the Barbary class pirate ship has the EMP effect, but not device damage. monopole dust resists EMP effects.

And while I think it would be nice that since most of the major hostiles have virtual fleets: that we get to see more ships in the game for some popular factions like the Ventari, etc.

PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

In 1.01, ion disruptors caused permanent damage to devices. In the latest beta, said weapons cause devices to become "ionized" instead, which causes devices to act as damaged until ionization wears off. The good news is only the Ventari use ion disruptors. The bad news is the final boss of part I uses a weapon with an effect much worse than device damage.

How to fight Ventari? Get armor with immunity to device damage or ion effects. If that is not an option, get the most powerful shield your ship can equip, and get ready to flee from a fight if your shields get too low. Use Domina powers to protect your ship when necessary. Ventari are very dangerous, but the loot their ships can leave behind is worth the risk of fighting them.

Armor with immunity to device damage includes Iocrym armor and Taikon's <foo>carbide armor. Unfortunately, they are all high level armor that you will not likely find until late in the game after most Ventari encounters. Barrels of dyon dust will add ion effect immunity to unmodified armor.

For many devices, repairing damage is either impossible or consumes resources better spent enhancing a device. However, spoilers reveal ways to convert scrap into useful stuff.
Download and Play in 1.9 beta 1...
Drake Technologies (Alpha): More hardware for combat in parts 1 and 2!
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!
Playership Drones: Buy or restore exotic ships to command!

Other playable mods from 1.8 and 1.7, waiting to be updated...
Godmode v3 (WIP): Dev/cheat tool compatible with D&O parts 1 or 2.
Deltax
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Thank you all for the wonderful advice :) , i have tried the station farming technique and have already got a intact 250mw reactor and ion disruptor! :), i have not found any barrels of dyon dust yet but did find some ion resistance coatings. I am currently having trouble with my file opening software so i cant install any mods to the game, i also forgot the tell my current load out for fighting ventauri and other foes. This is it.
EDIT: Updated

Nami Missile launcher

Omnidirectional tev 9 blaster

Fusionfire howitzer(+30%)

Akan 600 turret(+50%)

Mammoth 50 Mw deflector(+30%)

SN2500 Reactor

Titan 440 fusion drive

4 Segments of Hexacarbide Armor

And a patch spider to support the armor.
Last edited by Deltax on Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
shanejfilomena
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

awesome going :) the ion resistance coatings are also randomly on the ventari cruisers as cargo to loot.

for gaining the extra adventures of extensions and adventures you would require adding a folder named "Extensions" to the folder where your game files are : placing downloaded and chosen extensions and adventures into that the game will load them ( but additions usually do not affect a game in progress, you would have to start new games to use some things added ).

for file extraction I use 7Zip : it is free, http://www.7-zip.org/download.html
you can get one for almost any popular operating system.

Yama
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant
Location: in the apprenticeship program at a Tinker station....

Deltax wrote:Thank you all for the wonderful advice :) , i have tried the station farming technique and have already got a intact 250mw reactor and ion disruptor! :), i have not found any barrels of dyon dust yet but did find some ion resistance coatings. I am currently having trouble with my file opening software so i cant install any mods to the game, i also forgot the tell my current load out for fighting ventauri and other foes. This is it.

Nami Missile launcher

Omnidirectional tev 9 blaster

Fusionfire howitzer

Akan 600 turret(+40%)

Mammoth 50 Mw deflector(+30%)

SN2500 Reactor

Titan 440 fusion drive

3 Segments of heavy orthosteel armor (+ion)

1 Segment of advanced ceralloy armor(+ion)

And a patch spider to support the armor.

Hi Deltax,

The setup you've already got is great for farming Ventauri, and will even allow you to do so in relative safety with the right tactics.

Your Akan 600 has a range of 120 LS (Light Seconds), while the Ventauri's weapons have a max range of only 80 LS. And since the Akan 600 is an omni weapon you can shoot backwards at pursuing ships with deadly accuracy while running straight away (your Titan 440 gives you plenty of speed for that). So you can just pop 'em a few times to get their attention and when they start to chase you, slowly retreat staying 85 to 120 LS ahead while you pick them apart with the Akan and you won't even receive a scratch. 8-) These same tactics work on Ares destroyers and drednaughts (Deimos & Phobos) too, even if your armor and shields are less than optimal.

Just kill and loot Ventauri destroyers without destroying the Ventauri colony, and more destroyers will continue to roll out of the nearest stargate like clockwork. Once you get good at it, hauling away all the loot becomes the hardest part. :shock: You'll salvage more than enough fuel rods from the destroyers to keep you going, and you can get as much Akan ammo as you can shoot by farming the Ranx gunships, if you haven't destroyed all their stations already.
"A good ship should not look like a plumber's nightmare."
- Atarlost
Deltax
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

I found out that my transcendence version (for some reason) didn't come with a extension folder, which was why i couldn't add any mods, but i have copy and pasted one from another transcendence install.

And thank you for that awesome strategy Yama, i currently use a variation of that to lead ranx dreadnoughts to those overpowered ringer shipyards 8-). Looting the ventauri ship wrecks does become a pain when half of your cargo space is made up of akan 600 ammo alone.
I never seen or heard of a deimos or phobos but if there worse then ranx dreadnoughts and ventauri destroyers then i don't want to meet them.

I have recently found some hexacarbide armor that is immune to ion damage, not sure if it will stop the device damage effect but they will have a much harder time killing me now. :mrgreen:
shanejfilomena
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Deltax wrote: I never seen or heard of a deimos or phobos but if there worse then ranx dreadnoughts and ventauri destroyers then i don't want to meet them.
You will meet, usually, the patrols first then the Deimos : if your lucky you will get the Phobos before you deal with the Deimos....the Deimos are relentless destroyers. I have seen 5 of them hurl themselves at a ringer station.

Ringers are strong stations, but they can die : after about a year my first experience with them dying was while being chased by several Phobos and Deimos ships after taking out a few Ares shipyards.

If a Ringer is destroyed there is no help on the way : do try to NOT bring them too many hostiles at once.
you can use the Ringers to farm almost any hostile in the system that will chase you.
(( note* we are not the only ones that read these posts : so sticking in usable info is always a good idea )))

MOST of the game versions Do Not carry an "Extensions" folder : as I often say and so do others : in the folder where the game files are : create a New Folder and rename it to "Extensions" : the game will load anything it can understand that you put in that folder :
Please pay attention to descriptions of features because some do NOT play well with others.
Please pay attention to the game versions they are built for :
NOT all game versions are Official, Most are for exploring new ideas for future game incarnations.
Many versions carry codes or resource descriptions that are not found in some other versions.

IF you find something " not right " with a downloaded extra, please note it on the comments section so the person that posted the item can look into it : If you like , or not , the extra : please do vote on it .

Yama
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Deltax wrote: Looting the ventauri ship wrecks does become a pain when half of your cargo space is made up of akan 600 ammo alone.
I didn't notice what type of ship you're piloting. It's definitely less onerous when you're piloting a freighter.

Hexagene Boosters are definitely your friend when you're shooting an Akan... More damage per hit means less ammo expended per kill. You're Akan's already at +30%. :D With a dozen more, you can boost that puppy all the way up to +150%. :twisted: That seriously reduces your ammo consumption. And if I recall, in 1.01 you can order them three at a time from your local Corporate Trading Post.

Deltax wrote:I have recently found some hexacarbide armor that is immune to ion damage, not sure if it will stop the device damage effect but they will have a much harder time killing me now. :mrgreen:
That's great stuff against the Ventauri. Quadrocarbide, Hexacarbide, and Octocarbide armor are all "ion effect immune", which means that they are proof against all the sundry mischief (emp, blinding, and device damage or ionization, depending on the version you're playing) that some ion weapons cause. Here are links to the appropriate wiki pages:

http://wiki.neurohack.com/transcendence ... bide_armor

You'll notice that the "Blinding Damage Adjust", "Device Damage Adjust", and "EMP Damage Adjust" numbers for all three are all listed as 0 (zero). This means that they are immune to those types of damage. Damage adjust numbers greater than zero but less than 100, mean the chance if incurring that type of damage is reduced but not eliminated. A damage adjust number of 50 means you only have half the normal chance of suffering that type of damage, 25 means one quarter of the normal chance, etc... :)
- Atarlost
erik dela cruz
Militia Captain
Militia Captain
Location: Patrolling Scarborough Shoal and the Spratlys Islands (West Philippine Sea)

Aha! The Ventaris. I say kill em all! Hahaha.
Seriously though, I suggest, farm the Dwargs for their ion/particle reflect armors then beat the crap out o' em Ventaris with the omnithermo cannon(super-enhanced suggested) and blow them up with them Lucifers. That's all. :wink:
.....cry without weeping......
.....talk without speaking......
.....scream without raising your voice......
Yama
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

erik dela cruz wrote:Aha! The Ventaris. I say kill em all! Hahaha.
Seriously though, I suggest, farm the Dwargs for their ion/particle reflect armors then beat the crap out o' em Ventaris......
Hi Erik,

Sounds like fun! :mrgreen:

Only trouble is that stuff's so gawd awful heavy you can only install it on a freighter. :cry:

And since Deltax mentioned being inconvenienced by the weight of Akan ammo, I'd seriously doubt he's flying one of those.....
- Atarlost