Transcendence: the Movie (A Big If)

General discussion about anything related to Transcendence.
erik dela cruz
Militia Captain
Militia Captain
Location: Patrolling Scarborough Shoal and the Spratlys Islands (West Philippine Sea)

I mentioned this in Trans FB Groups and I still can't stop scratching the itch to ask: what if?

Who'd play:
1. Our hero/protagonist/lead star?
2. Possible sidekicks/wingman (Volkov, Jenna, Rama)
3. The villains or shady characters (Arco, the Pirates, Marauders, etc...)
4. Prominent characters like Mr. Katami, Kate M.,Admiral Drecker, Helios, Vermeer & Lord Mikho
5. Domina & Oracus
6. Our wives (ok husbands for girls)
7. Add your own characters (like Terek/Trent in The Network)

Who'd be the producer/director & the movie outfit(I wish it would be Spielberg or of course Lucas)

Speak your mind people. Everything is possible! :D
.....cry without weeping......
.....talk without speaking......
.....scream without raising your voice......
Watch TV, Do Nothing
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I would have Martin Scorcese direct with De Niro as the Pilgrim; I see parallels between the Pilgrim and DeNiro in "Taxi Driver" and "Raging Bull". Jurgen Prochnow would be another good choice for the Pilgrim. For me, the film would be most effective as a psychological journey like 2001, Dark Star and Tarkovsky's Solaris and Stalker. Essentially it would be a film about one person who is alone even when among others.

Alternately it could even be done similar to "No Country for Old Men" with the Pilgrim assuming a role similar to that of the dispassionate, relentless mercenary killer Chigurh. After all, to succeed in his/her journey the Pilgrim typically becomes a mass murderer. The pilgrim is driven by mysterious forces that only he or she understands and seeks out people of all kinds across human space, hunts them down, attacks them in their homes, and leaves no survivors. From this perspective, the pilgrimage is an intergalactic killing spree and Jenna, Rama and Volkov are the Squeaky Frommes and Tex Watsons to the player's Charles Manson.
durbanator
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

movie? this is something i'd really like to see!
if there ever was a game that can be made into a movie, i dont think that any game could fit the role as well as transcendence.
you'd need one hell of a scriptwriter to pull this off, someone who's got a well versed knowledge of the transcendence background. hell even a nice little trilogy could be spawned from this.. one part sort of like how wolverine origins was for x men, where we have the hero's history being played out, so finally we can understand the true story about why the kid is crying behind the door of unit 224D on level 5.
perhaps it was blackmail? a dream as the beginning of the game suggests? or is that some intergalactic pseudo blackmail technique that oracus cooked up to use you as his personal plaything that wreaks havoc across the galaxy?
i would really like to see this become something big.

1) one part about the origins of the hero/heroine. perhaps there were these two brothers and one had to sacrifice himself to save his family on eridani, and now the hero is the brother who uncovers the truths about his brothers secretive life away at rigel during the greatest intergalactic battle

2) another part could be something not unlike the tv show, Spartacus :gods of the arena; although i think that this could be made when the entire novelty of the main storyline has receded and we can have possibly one last, not at all linked to the story but part of the universe, movie that would milk the concept for all its worth, assuming the first few movies become a hit.

and there could be two to three parts that can be made before we cover the entire story;

3) one about eridani which could lead to plots linked with the origins movie, and how you start off by running arco vaughn out of business and then decide that you rather like the life of pillaging an hunting down pirates and how you begin to make it to the top of the black market's wanted list, until you finally meet one of the best bounty hunters who manages to catch you and bring you to lord mihko, who i would like to see as morgan freeman for some reason, i think it was his role in batman that makes me feel that he'd make a really cool leader of the black market.

4) another episode, if i may call them that, is when you encounter the charon pirates and where you face your hardest battle yet, with streaming beans of exotic and yet to be named particles vaporizing parts of the player's ship as he manages to maneuver just out of reach of the charon pirate ships with the funky names, dodging their missiles and unleashing his whole, rather puny, arsenal against a fleet of pirates, when he meets the korolov traders who are desperately trying to hold off the charon pirates onslaught. and then this episode ends when you finally defeat the pirates and enter into st. kats where you get seduced by some beautiful sassy lady and he decides that his days as pilot are over starts making plans to retire and settle down with her, when something really tragic happens to this lady and his passion and fervor for getting to domina, the galactic core, wherever his travels may take him, takes a sharp turn from where the end of this episode would seem to lead the audience..
something like a dirty military officer, who is being paid by the black market to keep you away from travelling towards the core, sets a trap for you at home, but your lovely darling sassy lady gets killed.

5)another episode which shows us how everything is inter connected, where all the loose ends from the previous episodes appear to be tied from the same knot. one that raises as many questions as it answers and leaves the audience with a burning feeling to know what happens next. maybe here is where you meet rama, who is something like a typical indian origin kind of guru who once believed in peace and harmony, until he felt deeply stirred by some spiritual force that he had to make his pilgrimage ( i dont know why, but im gettng a star wars kind of " theres a change in the force" kind of imagery, maybe with a bit of yoda mixed in ). this episode could detail their travels past the human safe zone of st katts. where you meet the sung and their slaver ideologies.. here ca be another twist where rama's family was captured and enslaved by the sung and he has to battle with his hunger for revenge and you have some tense moments where you have to convince him to not kill the entire slaver fleet because your ties with the military require that you just have to follow them to their home system discretely.. also your military rank progresses and you get access to some of the stuff that you already have installed on your ship from your smuggling days.

okay maybe i've overthought this a bit :P
but this is something i'd really really want to see happen in my lifetime.

one important question i want to raise however, is the universe consisting of only humans? are we the only sentient life in the galaxy, apart from the ringers and the iocrym?
are the sung and huari just regular humans which have their own closed ideologies about the way the worls should work? or are they aliens in their own way?
and how does the rest of space faring humanity see the ringers? human, psuedo human? mutated freaks? that could be an entire side episode in itself..

i guess the point i've been trying to convey is that the transcendence universe has almost unlimited potential to become a success.
there are just so many variables, and then so many different ways to interpret each variable.
although the one sad part will be that the story will have to become unified, and the individuality of the person playing it will be sort of compromised.
everybody will see the story through only one manifestation, rather than how the guys who played the game see it in the ways each gameplay is totally different. but then you want a movie that will be successful, not something that will be exclusive to the guys who do little else than 'sitting infront of the box' as my mum puts it.

let me know about your thoughts about all these ideas that just stormed their way into my head. it would be really cool to discuss it with someone
pip
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Pilgrim: Nathan Fillion
Volkov: Jurgen Prochnow
Jenna: Amanda Tapping
Rama: Erick Avari
Arco: Michael Dorn
Katami: Clive Owen
Kate: Claudia Christian
Drecker: Colm Meaney
Mikho: Ron Glass

Should be a giggle.... :P
digdug
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

nice list !
maybe Clive Owen is a bit too young to play Katami ? What about Kurt Russell ?
Also

Helios: Michelle Forbes
pip
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Conceded.
Although a retired gladiator need not be all that old. Russell would do quite nicely regardless, good call.
Or maybe even the likes of Dean Stockwell?

I originally had Owen as the pilgrim, because I do rather like him.
But I like Fillion more :P
erik dela cruz
Militia Captain
Militia Captain
Location: Patrolling Scarborough Shoal and the Spratlys Islands (West Philippine Sea)

pip wrote:Pilgrim: Nathan Fillion
Volkov: Jurgen Prochnow
Jenna: Amanda Tapping
Rama: Erick Avari
Arco: Michael Dorn
Katami: Clive Owen
Kate: Claudia Christian
Drecker: Colm Meaney
Mikho: Ron Glass

Should be a giggle.... :P
Nice but rather playing Katami, Clive Owen would fit perfectly as our Pilgrim right? ......or Daniel Craig perhaps?
Hey! George Takei can play Katami! :mrgreen:
.....cry without weeping......
.....talk without speaking......
.....scream without raising your voice......