Happy New Year!

General discussion about anything related to Transcendence.
Yugi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

goat not sheep wrote:It would be annoying, though if you beat the arena and you use the GoC to go back to, say, the arena system and the advertisement pops up.
Ah, you mean just like real adverts? :lol:

What I think would be good for the game is a reputation system - you begin the game with 0 reputation, and for doing good things your reputation raises, and for doing bad things your reputation obviously lowers.
Examples of good things:
Successful Korolev missions (+40 rep)
Destroying enemy (any reds) ships/stations (+2 rep for ships, +5 rep for stations)
Successful missions (not Black Market ones) (reptuation increase depends on mission)
Donating money and items to Domina (reputation increase depends on amounts)
Saving those stations that pay you for protection from pirates (+50 rep)

Examples of bad things:
Attacking/Destroying friendly ships/stations (-1 for attacking either, -3 rep for ships, -20 rep for stations)
Successful BM missions (-5 rep)
Losing positive missions (depends on mission
Stealing (explained later) (depends on value of stuff stolen)
Selling/Jettisoning slaves (-15 rep)

There are quite a few more to add to the list, but you get the general idea, and the amounts in the brackets are just for giving a general idea of the amounts.
Also included in the reputation system are the types of stations that allow you to dock. If your reputation is too low, then Commonwealth stations won't allow you to dock. If it gets lower then stations like Tinkers and agricultural stations might not allow you to dock.
You might also need a low experience to dock at Black Market stations. After the reputation system has had some development, you (George) might even want to consider allowing to dock with pirate stations if your reputation gets really low ("Hey, we've heard of you, you destroyed xxxx and xxx, didn't you? Sure, come and dock!").
Certain CSC and Militia missions might need you to have a high enough experience to accept them, or low enough in the case of black market missions.
Now i'll explain stealing - it's simple - once your reputation gets low, but not low enough to prevent you from docking with friendly stations - you can try and steal from them.
Item stealing - Success rate depends on the item value and level.
Cash stealing - Success rate depends on how much you try to steal, and at what point in the game you are at, since different amounts of money matter more or less (50,000 is quite a bit in early game, but not as much in late game), which could be done by system level.

Adding a reputation would require quite a few versions to "get it right", but with some good development would add a lot of new gameplay.

Edit: Oh yeah, and Happy New Year, everyone!
evilbob
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

PlayMeNow wrote:Happy New Year George, Yugi, EvilBob, and everyone else! May Domina be with you & give you a F-22 Raptor for free :D
Yay! I'm on that list. Its the same list that George is in, so its gotta be good. And not domina. Animal spirit.
goat not sheep
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

How are they(as in...the commonwealth..etc.) going to know your actions in the black market? The one way i see it, is when u dock on that resterant. Commonwealth cops and drug traders can be there...and that's the only way they can see you. Stealing... hmm... that means like, u steal once...and you dock again and they arrest you.
>.<
Yugi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Wouldn't the Commonwealth have contacts and spies planted throughout the entire Black Market, and vice versa?
goat not sheep
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

And they have ID? Wouldn't the commonwealth be killing the black market now?
>.<
Petrus
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Speaking of newscasts, it would be neat to have a ship radio that could be activated or deactivated on command. If it was on, then radio newscasts would be heard (i.e. ads from the trading posts, corporate fluff from the corporations, whispered death threats from the sung stations). It would add some more atmosphere to the game (like in weird worlds or x-com interceptor)! Plus, voice acting is kind of fun.
evilbob
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

there's an idea for an item... X-com 3Dv game.
goat not sheep
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Maybe the commonwealth discouvered a new spieces and then the news can put that there.
>.<
Yugi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

goat not sheep wrote:And they have ID? Wouldn't the commonwealth be killing the black market now?
Ah, but if the Commonwealth attacked, would the Black Market not do the same?

I also believe a graphics update is needed for Transcendence. After seeing the high-quality work of DvLenk's, I noticed the fuzziness of the old (and rather boring) stations and ships still from the original version of Transcendence. Part of a game is the presentation. I've also noticed that the planets are rather fuzzy, too.
Right now i'd like to say that the Wolfen looks nothing like a gunship. I doesn't really look anything offensive-like. It looks more like an escape pod :?
This isn't anything urgent but clearer, sharper images are probably going to be needed sometime soon.

edit: I also believe there needs to be more variety among the stations, especially the Commonwealth Residentials/Tinkers/quite a few other stations graphic (though this is, thankfully, slowly happening).
goat not sheep
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

What do you think is a gunship? Well...the commonwealth obviusly didn't attack...
>.<
Yugi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

goat not sheep wrote:What do you think is a gunship? Well...the commonwealth obviusly didn't attack...
I don't know, really...i'd say something bigger, and more bulky - like a gunship.
goat not sheep
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

The wolfen is big enough...it looks like a gunship to me... a warped centorian.
>.<
dvlenk6
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Yugimotomanager wrote:...I noticed the fuzziness of the old (and rather boring) stations and ships still from the original version of Transcendence. Part of a game is the presentation. I've also noticed that the planets are rather fuzzy, too...
I like the Transcendence graphics. It's one of the things that attracted me to the game originally. I don't see much fuzziness in the ships or stations (a little AA blur in some), and quite a few of them are very detailed.

The planets that are fuzzy are so because they have atmospheres. The 'dead' worlds don't have the fuzzy edges.
"War is hell."
-William Tecumseh Sherman
http://dvlenk6.blackraven3d.com/transgals.html
Dosgamer3
Closed Account
Closed Account

dvlenk6 wrote:
Yugimotomanager wrote:...I noticed the fuzziness of the old (and rather boring) stations and ships still from the original version of Transcendence. Part of a game is the presentation. I've also noticed that the planets are rather fuzzy, too...
I like the Transcendence graphics. It's one of the things that attracted me to the game originally. I don't see much fuzziness in the ships or stations (a little AA blur in some), and quite a few of them are very detailed.

The planets that are fuzzy are so because they have atmospheres. The 'dead' worlds don't have the fuzzy edges.
I agree with dvlenk6, that everything looks good, but I agree somewhat with Yugi. Keep the same old original images, but sharpen them a bit and add some higher resolutions to the game.
The universe is illogical. Get over it.

-----------------------------------------

I cannot be held accountable for anything I say that offends you. I never intentionally offend anyone.
If I offended you, it was an accident and I am sorry.