Eaten by the fabricator

General discussion about anything related to Transcendence.
Vachtra
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

I was playing with the fabricator today and got eaten which made me wonder if anyone out there has been eaten by the fabricator more than twice.
I say twice because the first time could be because you didn't know you could be eaten and the second time probably trying to figure out how long it takes to get eaten. After that well....
There still needs to be defense around these guys, they just look odd without it.
"Have you guys ever watched the show?" ~ Guy
RPC
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Location: Hmm... I'm confused. Anybody have a starmap to the Core?

I got eaten. I've never touched the Teraton fab ever again.
Semi spoiler:
I read somewhere that if you have an autodoc it will save you and you won't die.

I think if you feed it junk/stuff it can't eat it gets *really* angry and eat you *really* fast.
Here's the wiki page on it, but there's tables and it's kinda hard to read: http://transcendence.kronosaur.com/wiki ... fabricator
Tutorial List on the Wiki and Installing Mods
Get on Discord for mod help and general chat
Der Tod ist der zeitlose Frieden und das leben ist der Krieg
Wir müssen wissen — wir werden wissen!
I don't want any sort of copyright on my Transcendence mods. Feel free to take/modify whatever you want.
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

The table at the wiki is for pre-1.1, and out-of-date. In 1.1, it is harder to fabricate high level items, and each fabricator has favorite and hated foods. Even so, the nerfed 1.1 fabricators are still very powerful. Ringer spice/ambrosia and soul items like slave coffins and death cubes remain reliable ways of increasing disposition.

Autodoc is useful for Teraton research stations, where you offer your body for experimentation and get paided an item if you survive, not the fabricator. Autodoc greatly reduces, but does NOT eliminate, chance of death. Research stations are a joke in non-permadeath games. You get something for nothing.

Try my mod Hints Shown if you want see spoilers/results before you feed the fabricator.
Download and Play in 1.9 beta 1...
Drake Technologies (Alpha): More hardware for combat in parts 1 and 2!
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!
Playership Drones: Buy or restore exotic ships to command!

Other playable mods from 1.8 and 1.7, waiting to be updated...
Godmode v3 (WIP): Dev/cheat tool compatible with D&O parts 1 or 2.
murlocdummy
Anarchist
Anarchist

In 1.1, apparently the fabricator will only make items of the same level.

Also, if you give it a damaged item, the level of the items it gives you will be -1 of the damaged item. Resource usage has been changed, too.
You can give it reactors and thrusters, as well, but thrusters will turn into low-level reactors and the reactors will only upgrade to 500MW. Giving it more 500MW reactors is a waste of resources.
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

In 1.1/1.2a1, you can upgrade an undamaged level 7 (or less) item to the next level if the fabricator's disposition is high enough. For undamaged items at level 8 or higher (up to 10), you can get another item at the same level. Despite the changes, there are still plenty of useful items to fabricate. Just that it is not so easy to fabricate level 10 stuff from junk anymore.

Even for versions prior to 1.1, attempting to get a Hyperion from the pre-nerf fabricator is a long shot because the odds favored megadrive over Hyperion by 10 to 1. Something that should not be done except as a last resort (e.g., no Ringer shipyards spawned in the game).
Download and Play in 1.9 beta 1...
Drake Technologies (Alpha): More hardware for combat in parts 1 and 2!
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!
Playership Drones: Buy or restore exotic ships to command!

Other playable mods from 1.8 and 1.7, waiting to be updated...
Godmode v3 (WIP): Dev/cheat tool compatible with D&O parts 1 or 2.
whaleduck
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

SPOILER ALERT!

It seems like if you give it unidentified items, it eats you. I assume if you give it something that make its disposition, energy and material go to 0, it eats you.