What was YOUR First Transcendence playthrough like?

General discussion about anything related to Transcendence.
Deltax
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

In this topic I ask what your very first time playing this magnificent game was like, you can be shallow or deep in details and if your first playthrough was a total failure (like mine was :mrgreen:) tell about your second playthrough as well!

Transcendence version 1.0

I cant remember the exact day I started to play transcendence but I know it was in between october 20-27, 2011. I selected the freighter and read through everything on the sisters of domina station, accepted the missions to destroy centauri and charon stations and gated in the 2nd system (I did not know about arco vaughn at this time). It was one of those oddly generated systems that had few friendly stations and many enemy stations along with some planets with odd orbit lines. I destroyed all the enemy stations and continued on to the 3rd system... by this time I was running low on fuel and was searching for a place to refuel and get more fuel rods, when I should have been heading back to eridani, some minutes later I was starting to panic and during this panic I saved the game (facepalm now that I look back on that moment). :( And this is where my first playthrough ended, stuck without enough fuel to get back to eridani or to explore the next system for stations, I was forced to restart and do a 2nd attempt.

Man, its times like this when I wish there were some panic smilies.

2nd Attempt

Same version, but a different ship and a new sense of caution toward the game. I selected the yacht and copied what I did in the first attempt but actually noticed all the stations chattering about arco vaughn, one of those stations suggested I go to the raisu station so I did and the station master gave me a DM600 missile rack after I accepted her offer to defeat acro. The battle was close, but the reactive plating of my yacht resisted the starburst missiles long enough for me to destroy arco vaughn with the missile rack, I continued to the 2nd system (5 indi, I believe was the name) and cleared it of hostile stations and did a few missions from a mining colony. In the 3rd system I encountered a agricultural station and agreed to defend the inhabitants from pirate attack not knowing the danger I was about to put myself in, I managed to destroy the first 2 waves but on the third wave... those corsair-II's destroyed the station in seconds and there missiles dropped my shields and ripped through my armor in a similar amount of time.

And that was my first and second playthroughs of transcendence. I cant remember everything in the second attempt, as this all happened over a year ago, but some other memorable events were when I destroyed the kronosaurus and got volkov as a wingman, accidentally killed jenna, lost rama when a marauder stronghold exploded as he flew over it, and encountered the ventari which i created a topic about for advice on this forum (and some very helpful advice i got, thank you all that posted on that topic! :) ).
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

The details of my first play though are a bit sketchy, its been a long time. But I do remember getting as far as fleet on very few (if any) armor and shield upgrades.
That is actually what brought me to the forums in the first place as to get help in beating the Dwarg which were dominating my game - all missions lead to the dwarg then.
It was a mess and I couldn't progress in the game since I had so few upgrades and balance.

Didn't occur to me until later to upgrade everything to play the game properly.

But I was hooked and am still here today because of that first play though.
aresdestroyer
Anarchist
Anarchist

In the first attempt of my game I wasn't even aware we could dock with the wrecks of enemies and all I did was wasted my time. I was also unaware of mining or missile systems. Played version 1.01 about 6 months ago when I got this game in a DVD.
FourFire
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

On my first play through I was estatic!
This game was exactly what I had been looking for!
I bummed around eridani, used up all my cash and lost against Arco Vaughin, again and again.

On about my fifth play through I actually completed the game: I played it hard and fast, I lucked out and with advanced ceralloy armor (nooby armors lol :D ), a Katana Star cannon and my luckyest loot, an Iocrym veil, skipping through the last five systems entirely I killed that son-of-a-starfish.
Fun times.
(func(Admin Response)= true){
if(admin func(amiable) = true)
Create func(Helpful Posts)
else func(Keep Calm and Post derisive topics)}
whaleduck
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

My first 'playthrough' was terrible, compared to my last playthrough. On my first playthrough, I tracked down Arco Vaughn the wrong way (commonwealth habitat). I forgot to even try to kill him when I resurrected, worked for Korolov, and got killed by the third melee in Rigel. I resurrected again, upgraded my shields and weapons and eventually killed the guy who has the dual flensers mounted on his wolfen(forgot his name). I was too impatient to kill the Slicer, and gated to Joutheim (is that how it is spelled?), found the gate to charon, and died by radiation, and that happened the next 98 times I resurrected. In my last playthrough, I did all the missions (like kill arco, say hi to the Forking Paths, Kill antarctica, etc) and escaped human space.
Deltax
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

aresdestroyer wrote:In the first attempt of my game I wasn't even aware we could dock with the wrecks of enemies and all I did was wasted my time. I was also unaware of mining or missile systems. Played version 1.01 about 6 months ago when I got this game in a DVD.
:shock: Where did you get transcendence in a DVD?
Datal
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

I also had version on dvd. Some magazine added transcendence to collection of freeware games. :wink:
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

My first playthrough?

Took me just over a day. Of ingame time. Didn't really do much except run like hell through the lategame....this being 0.99c, I didn't know about the *extremely* specific stuff you needed to do to be able to kill the iocrym, so I gave up at that point.
Mischievous local moderator. She/Her pronouns.
sun1404
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I must admit, I was literally stunned by the graphic the first time I played the game. Well, I press 'Start' right away and didn't looked at the menu-animation. The ship selection screen looks good enough, but when the game really start, I just couldn't see my Wolfen at the center of the screen. It was.. so different to the model on the selection screen. For every great aspects Trans have.. the graphic just didn't meet my expectation. But the gameplay and storyline are more than enough to compensate that. I think on my first playthrough I managed to reach Heretic, though I died a few times before that. At that time I don't know what must I do, and all the stations were destroyed by the Iocrym after I got the research ship to the command station.(yes, they got drained by the Pteravores immediately, of course. Stupid them telling me to 'Follow') I asked on this forum, and when I found out that I must kill heaps of those nightmarish shrimp ships, I deleted the save file and started over. And on the second play, I managed to take down the command ship, AND THEN accidentally flew out of map range and got lost in the void... After that, I respawn and quickly robbed it of the stargate rod, and escape the quarantine.
Yes, look at my avatar, I have a wyvera type ship.
erik dela cruz
Militia Captain
Militia Captain
Location: Patrolling Scarborough Shoal and the Spratlys Islands (West Philippine Sea)

I usually play at night or dawn so the dark topographical effect of the game gave an awesome eerie feeling. I didn't know what to do & just followed stargate to stargate. The first time I got hit with a shock was with the Xenophobe Worldships Lancers. Next thing you know the game ends. "...got destroyed by a Xenophobe Worldship.....". The meanest enemy I consider up to now is surely the Ventari Destroyer. Grrr. Nuff said. :wink:
.....cry without weeping......
.....talk without speaking......
.....scream without raising your voice......
RPC
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Location: Hmm... I'm confused. Anybody have a starmap to the Core?

I usually play at night or dawn so the dark topographical effect of the game gave an awesome eerie feeling.
Totally agree, I love how immersive the game is when the whole room is dark and you're flying through space in a tin can....
Tutorial List on the Wiki and Installing Mods
Get on Discord for mod help and general chat
Der Tod ist der zeitlose Frieden und das leben ist der Krieg
Wir müssen wissen — wir werden wissen!
I don't want any sort of copyright on my Transcendence mods. Feel free to take/modify whatever you want.
SpongeJr
Miner
Miner

In this topic I ask what your very first time playing this magnificent game was like, you can be shallow or deep in details
My answer?

In a word: transcendent.
I'm working on new sounds for Transcendence. Check out what I have so far: http://xelerus.de/index.php?s=mod&id=825
(still a work in progress, but it does work!)
Jay2Jay
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

My first playthrough was spent in the EI500 waiting for a centauri recoiless. I sold everthing I got, (which wasn't much) somehow scrounged up enough creds for a mining laser, then died of fuel loss.

2nd play included the wolfen and running out of fuel again.

After about ten plays I stopped running out of fuel for the first few systems and got killed by arco vaughn. I then proceeded to be beaten by him two more times then made it out to charon. I died so many times that I started to wonder if the hyper-intelligent, magic, and psychic alien space dominatrix in the middle of the galaxy just wanted to watch me squirm.
GeXeS
Anarchist
Anarchist

Hmm, interesting. My first gameplay with vanilla 1.1 was pretty much solid I'd say. Yes, I've restarted twice at the very start (because I couldn't make my mind if I wanted a registered account or not :D), but then continued quite fluently till the near end - with about 50 deaths :lol:

Actually you guys are surprising me. I'd expect EVERYBODY to choose the Sapphire class :| cause the Wolfen obviously doesn't have enough cargo space and the EI500 can't steer properly. Hmm...

Oh yes, I loved the feeling when I destroyed a Zoanthrope base and nearby Behemoth shouted "wE F0LL0w thE 5TR0ng" :twisted: That was nice.
Also I've let Rama join me, but I ordered him to wait once I got the feeling the enemies have gotten too tough for him to be around. Poor chap, eluded his fate I guess...