Forum dying, how's development?

General discussion about anything related to Transcendence.
F50
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Not much activity on the forums here. How are things going on your end George?
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

I am honestly not sure how to respond.

There are a lot of dedicated players who have been making mods, contributing amazing suggestions, and generally making Transcendence a better and better game. I think it is an insult to them to cavalierly dismiss their efforts with "forum dying"

I know I don't thank players enough, and so maybe my best response is to take this opportunity to thank and acknowledge all the players who have and are still contributing their ideas and energy to this game. There are plenty of them, despite what you believe, and I am humbled by their efforts.

I know you meant no harm. I know you care about the game (otherwise, why would you post). But I think there are more constructive ways in which you can contribute. Please consider that.
evilbob
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

george moromisato wrote: I know I don't thank players enough, and so maybe my best response is to take this opportunity to thank and acknowledge all the players who have and are still contributing their ideas and energy to this game. There are plenty of them, despite what you believe, and I am humbled by their efforts.
Well, I think the masterpiece of a game that's being created by you is thanks enough. suggesting things to make it better is easy (in my case at least, since few of my posts are more than a few lines long)
Burzmali
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

Well, for a non-commercial game developed by a sole developer this forum is lively enough. Typically, once a game gets beyond a certain size, enough naysayers show up in the forum to drive the developers into hiding.

I've always preferred games where the online community has a chance of having its requests heard, and the developers aren't writing them off as the vocal minority. Of course, in some cases this results in games being made that have increasing steep learning curves, but George has managed to keep Transcendence from getting too complex.

It's an intresting dichotomy in the trend of new games. The developers make games simpler to learn to attract new players, but as those players learn the game they start complaining that the game is too simple, and should be made more complex.
F50
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Didn't mean my post to be taken that way. I meant that there have been very few posts *on the forum* in the last little while. I am not trying top say anything about mods (and the most I've done is to load a centurion chassis with Iocrym destroying materials so I could try out some new (and unsuccessful) strategies against it). And thanks for making this game in the first place George, it is probably the second or third most-played game I have ever had (first is ADOM). I just haven't seen much going on in recent times and am looking to see how its going.

Sorry.

As of now I have only two gripes with this game. One is that even with the best equipment save the kyrtin launcher (which is absolutely NASTY to get ammo for but does seem to do the job fairly well even if you aren't straight on) the only way to defeat the Iocrym is to maintain a speed similar to, and a direction exactly the same as the Iocrym itself. This is the hardest task in the wolfen gunship there is.

The second is that if your opponent has multiple advanced armor plates, 100% damage is not equal to 100% damage. This is especially annoying when facing Gaian proceccors, the Iocrym, and dreadnoughts because you don't know which particular plate you need to hit. When you are below 100% and you shoot at the right segment the numbers will go up. Otherwise, they won't. You have no clue when that thing is *finally* going to die.

As for the rest Transcendence is an amazing piece of work. There is a lot tp explore, and I have had many fun hours playing it.
Burzmali
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

There are other ways to beat the Iocrym. They are just as exploitive, but they work. Most involve swarms of Autons.

I agree about the armor though. But even if the plate is marked as Non-critical, a WMD weapon can destroy the ship on a hit, right?
F50
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

I don't quite get it. A FFH still takes a while to take down a dreadnought after 100% (firing at the 100% segment).

Two plates of Transurianic armor on top of each other go like this.

first plate destroyed, HUD reading 100%
HUD after the first plate was destroyed continues reading 100% until the ship is destroyed by elimination of the second plate.