A few questions

General discussion about anything related to Transcendence.
Tshark9999
Miner
Miner

I have a few questions. Has George thought of using websites that pay him depending on the amount of downloads, and what is the stance on modders using sites like Adfly?
digdug
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

this is a very interesting question.
Since the creation of Xelerus, modders have been releasing mods with no ads.

As a long time modder, I never thought about earning money with my mods, as I used to consider the modding process a learning/hobby/fun activity.

Xelerus will be transferred under the Multiverse servers and under direct George's control.

I don't know, ads might be a good thing for user created mod downloads. Depends on several factors.
Tshark9999
Miner
Miner

Well, if George did use a website like Adfly, he could make some extra revenue. Not a lot, I know, but it's still revenue.
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

Tshark9999 wrote:Well, if George did use a website like Adfly, he could make some extra revenue. Not a lot, I know, but it's still revenue.
I'm never going to say never, but in general I would like to stay away from ads. Right now, the community is too small for ads to be worth it. The experience I want to create for players is, I think, better without ads. Moreover, I want to avoid any conflict about who my customers are. If I take ads, then the ad-sellers become my customers too, and they have different goals than players.

That said, I don't want to restrict modders from what they can do. Modders are certainly free to have ads on their own sites. If Xelerus decided to have ads, I would have no objection. Similarly, I have no objections to YouTube playthroughs getting ad revenue. [I should probably add that to the ToS.]