Sticking to one ship is a missed gameplay opportunity

General discussion about anything related to Transcendence.
StealthX051
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Well, upgrading to larger ships could force you to hire more crew members. For example you could buy crew members as a commodity (let's say, a colony station) and a Capital should would have x amount of officers, x amount of crew members,and x amount of engineers. Or, you could go all evil and use slaves as a commodity. Smaller ships should also be restricted in weapon kickback and weight. 10 ton APA on a pleasure yacht? If this was just a little bit more realistic, it should cause turning to be front heavy, and repeated uses would kill the structure.
catfighter
Militia Commander
Militia Commander
Location: Laughing manically amidst the wreckage of the Iocrym fleet.

StealthX051 wrote:Smaller ships should also be restricted in weapon kickback and weight. 10 ton APA on a pleasure yacht? If this was just a little bit more realistic, it should cause turning to be front heavy, and repeated uses would kill the structure.
Brilliant! Every shot fired from a weapon above a certain weight/recoil causes damage to the forward armor segment.

A lot of this capship business should be cleared up in CSC America. As for "normal" ships, I think having a lot of ships, one for each major mission, and directly stating what playstyle it favors. Also, possibly add a difficulty indicator. "So-and-so is easy because..."; "so-and-so is more difficult for beginners because..."
Behold my avatar, one of the few ships to be drawn out pixel by pixel in the dreaded... Microsoft Paint!

Day 31: "I have successfully completed my time reversal experiment! Muahahaha!!!"
Day 30: "I might have run into a little problem here."
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

That sort of thing can't happen because any ship with a crew greater than one is incompatible with the D&O storyline. Possibly future expansions will allow you to play someone who isn't a probably mind controlled religious fanatic on a suicide run, but the item design will have to continue to support D&O.
Literally is the new Figuratively
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Atarlost wrote:That sort of thing can't happen because any ship with a crew greater than one is incompatible with the D&O storyline. Possibly future expansions will allow you to play someone who isn't a probably mind controlled religious fanatic on a suicide run, but the item design will have to continue to support D&O.
Heavily crewed ships likely won't be usable in D&O, but the item design changes suggested in the thread would be wonderful regardless once ship changing is implemented. If a Wolfen can carry the same weapons and armor as a Brit, Heavy IAV, or Centurion with no penalties, a smaller size, and a higher speed, there's really no reason for the latter three to exist. In addition, limiting howitzers to larger and slower heavy gunships would do a lot to balance out the late game. A Fusionfire on a Wolfen is just overpowered.
ahrenjb
Anarchist
Anarchist

Sure, balance wise there aren't a ton of reasons to allow the player to use different ships. However, from a player perspective the ability to pilot whatever ship I want has immense appeal. I recently played through my first game with PSD and, for me at least, it added a lot to the experience. I doubt I'll ever play without it again. The real power of any ship is the equipment attached to it, so really ship-to-ship beyond getting into "capital" ships the differences are pretty minimal. Still, being able to change craft for looks or whatever other reasons was something I found satisfying.

Should you be able to pilot a capital ship in SotP? Maybe not according to the lore, but really how hard would it be to put a crew together? Refugees, people looking to escape their lives, and especially other pilgrims. I mean, it's made clear that pilgrims are a pretty common thing. Everyone knows about them, and it's implied that many, MANY have died. So is it too hard to believe that others would join the crew of a well armed starship that's far more likely to reach the core than they would on their own? Consider the high power corporate character who, it is implied, is on a pilgrimage of her own.

All that aside, I'm not sold that the stock game should allow this. There will always be mods allowing the player to do this, and that scratches the itch. I DO think however that the player should be able to switch between smaller craft fairly easily. Georges idea of there being a few key points in the game where the player could purchase a new ship seems like the best approach. I think you could even combine the idea with the second and, once a player has reached one of these areas and bought a new ship, they can start a new game with that ship later (and level 1-2 equipment). I don't really like the idea of starting in a later system with higher level equipment too much. Just having say, a Britannia doesn't throw the balance off much if it's still mounting light plasteel and a laser cannon.
StealthX051
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Atarlost wrote:That sort of thing can't happen because any ship with a crew greater than one is incompatible with the D&O storyline. Possibly future expansions will allow you to play someone who isn't a probably mind controlled religious fanatic on a suicide run, but the item design will have to continue to support D&O.
Aren't there other pilgrims doing the same thing that you are doing? Even Rama, Jenna, and Volkov follow you even though they aren't pilgrims. I don't find it impossible that others will not follow you just because you are a pilgrim